Tips for FreeHip Handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am getting SO close to my freephip handstand but I can't quite get it. Does anybody have any tips or drills so that I can get it!
Thanks in advance!:)

as i explained somewhere else in a thread...practice doing 3 in a row. 1st one ends at 10:00, the 2nd at 11:00, and the 3rd at 12:00. keep practicing in sets of 3 in a row.

Free hips are all timing and angles. I know one coach to looks at it in the following way and I found that it really seems to help.

In a back hip circle the bar comes to the hips
In a free hip, the bar is near the thighs (although now the bar doesn't touch the thighs)
In a free hip hand, the bar is nearer to the knees ( again, it doesn't touch)

If you don't pike and watch the bar as your knees start to get close the drop into the free hip, this really seems to force the correct angle to get to handstand.

One other way to look at it. It's a back extension roll. This is the skill that a back extension roll is a drill for. Learn to love the back extension roll and free hip hands are easier.

One crucial point in a freehip that I think many coaches don't pay enough attention to is the entry. The thing that makes a free hip a free hip isn't the push out at the end, but the drop in at the beginning. The chest and shoulders have to drop aggressively back before the body comes in contact with the bar. Remember, you don't want to start the freehip from on top of the bar -- you want to start it from behind the bar. The better the drop, the easier the shoot to handstand at the end.

If you could post a video, that would be extremely helpful. I can't say for certain your problem has to do with the entry; that's just one of the most common problems I've seen.

Wow! Much thanks to the people giving tips about clear hips!

I can do them just fine with a spot, but without one I can never seem to hit the handstand.
Being a completing level 7, this is pretty important, and I'd like to learn to get it for states.

Does anyone have any tips for hitting handstands when you aren't being spotted?

-Lauren

Free hips are all timing and angles. I know one coach to looks at it in the following way and I found that it really seems to help.

In a back hip circle the bar comes to the hips
In a free hip, the bar is near the thighs (although now the bar doesn't touch the thighs)
In a free hip hand, the bar is nearer to the knees ( again, it doesn't touch).

I (mostly) agree, but I've been yelling at my L5s "it's a back THIGH circle". Realistically when you're pulling the bar to your hips usually there's some arm relaxation somewhere. There's actually a specific deduction in L5 for the underswing for "hips contacting the bar" (no deduction for thighs contacting).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back