To supplement or not to supplement?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

larabars arent too bad, just cant get past the dates. little protein

My DD's NMT recommended protein shakes for her to help repair her damaged hamstring last year. I used a very small amount of the powder in a glass of milk. We only used them for a while, usually after training, and we haven't used them for a long time now. I don't think it hurt her, and she is a very picky eater, so the extra protein may have been useful. When shopping for powders, you need to read the labels extremely carefully - I discovered many of them contain artificial sweeteners.

Our coach does a lot on nutrition with the boys. He has 'rules' during the season for them to follow (loose rules, more of guidelines for healthy eating). He says limit desserts (smart anyway). Eat healthy proteins. No soda or carbonated beverages (they are allowed to drink Izze but that is it). Veggies and fruit. He encourages a chocolate milk after practice for recovery. Just these simple rules seem to have helped my son. When he is getting ready to indulge, he will usually make a good decision about how much and whether or not to have it. He still enjoys his "junk" but he has a healthy frame of reference for when to enjoy it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back