Parents too many hours!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sleeping judy

Proud Parent
My dd is working on level 5 this year and over the summer she trained 16 hours a week. It was actually an optional 12 or 16, but we chose 16 because she was not doing any other activities. Well, I was thinking the fall schedule would offer an option of 12 or 16 as well, but when we saw the fall schedule it was either 16 or 20 hours! Plus, she doesn't get out of there until 9. So late for her. School started last week and so did the fall schedule. My dd was so tired even with just a half of a school week. She ended up not going to practice on friday and she fell asleep at 7:30. She ended up sleeping through the night and woke up at 7 the next morning. I feel like this is too much for a 7 year old.

I am highly considering moving her to the GIJO program instead of the USAG program. However, I feel like she has worked so hard to get the skills that I should wait for her to compete this season and then make the move. However, I don't want to completely have her burn out at the age of 7. The GIJO program is a lot more laid back right? I really want her to be able to have more fun and be challenged at the same time. Dd said she still likes gymnastics, but doesn't like it enough to go as much as she does.

Too much, too late, too young.Just my opinion. At that age our 5's are 11 hrs a week no later than 7:30pm on a school night.

WOW! In my opinion, that is just too many hours/week for a SEVEN YEAR OLD to go to gymnastics practice! And now she has school on top of it as well. I don't know anything about the GIJO program, but if it's anything like the prep optional program, she should still be able to use the skills she's learned during competition season. I'd definitely check it out and see what different gyms offer. You may even be able to find a gym that will still allow her to train for L5, but maybe find a practice schdule that works out better for her. I can't remember EXACTLY, but I think when my DD was competing level 5, she may have worked out only 12 hours per week. Good luck.

Whoa! I agree that's alot of hours for a 7 yr. old. At DD's gym, the level 5's go for 12 hours and are done by 7. My daughter (2nd yr. 4) goes 9 1/2 and I have a hard enough time making sure that she gets enough rest. Do any of the other gym parents have a problem with the practice times?

Thank you all for validating me. Yes, there are a few other parents who I have talked to who have a problem with the hours. However, there are also a few who lobbied for more hours which is why we have the 20 hour option! Their daughters are the same age as my dd and I think that is crazy. I have emailed the head coach and I am holding dd out of practice one day this week because I want her to be able to have some downtime. I have no desire for my dd to be an elite gymnast at all.

That's a LOT for L5! My daughter just turned 8 and trains 10.5 hours a week at L5. They are done at 8 p.m. 3 nights a week during the school year (it was 8:30 4 nights/wk during the summer), and I thought that was late. 20 hours is insane for L5!

I also should consider ourselves lucky because we live 10 minutes from the gym. Some people live 45 minutes to an hour away.

I hear you! We live about 45/50 mins. from the gym. DD is 7 and also practices 16 hrs./week. She competed level 5 last season. She however has trained the 16 hrs. since she was 5. She is used to it. She has not changed her bubbly, vivacious personality. At first, we had her train the hrs. on a trial basis and waited for her to tell us she was tired. Kid begged to go to open gyms. It isn't for everyone.
This week may be different for your DD. The GIJO program now the AAU in our state is extremely relaxed and train no more than 11 hrs. DD's old gym had that option, but she liked where she was at.

"The GIJO program now the AAU in our state" is not correct. they are 2 separate entities. just thought i would clarify.

It makes no sense that she would have to leave USAG in order t reduce her hours. A good coach should be able to coach to L5 in 12 hours a week with no issues. More than that is just silly, especially at that age. Plus her being in the gym at 9pm, suggests the class is beginning way too late.

DO you have any other gym options, or are there any, less crazy, parnts like you who wish to have some modifications? 20 hours a week is asking for burnout and major fatigue in school. I just cannot see that schedule being sustainable.

I would go and talk to the gym. BUt seriously if she is capable of USAG it is the schedule that needs modification not the child!

It might be worth asking if she can leave at 7.30 or so each practise so that she gets enough sleep. Tell them you will review it at Christmas and add more hours as she gets older. 9.00 is too late for a 7 year old to be up. And 20 hours is too much for a 7 year old really. 20 hours is not really necessary for level 5. I would try and go for around 14 if you can. And good luck and well done for thinking of the wider picture. It is so easy to get sucked in by the 'team expectations'

It makes no sense that she would have to leave USAG in order t reduce her hours. A good coach should be able to coach to L5 in 12 hours a week with no issues. More than that is just silly, especially at that age. Plus her being in the gym at 9pm, suggests the class is beginning way too late.

DO you have any other gym options, or are there any, less crazy, parnts like you who wish to have some modifications? 20 hours a week is asking for burnout and major fatigue in school. I just cannot see that schedule being sustainable.

I would go and talk to the gym. BUt seriously if she is capable of USAG it is the schedule that needs modification not the child!

I did email the HC and I am awaiting a reply. I would like to keep her here for several reasons:

1)she likes the coaches (well, most of the time:D)
2) she likes the girls
3) it is really close and we have plenty of options to carpool if needed.
4) because it is so close I can pop in to watch for a minute or two.
5) we already have the leo (I know silly. It isn't a huge reason, but just thought I would add it in)
6) I feel like switching gyms entirely could be tough for my dd right now.

I am hoping to schedule a meeting with the coaches. Her current schedule is this:

MWF: 5-9
Saturday: 12:30-4:30

Usually the first hour is spent warming up/stretching and the last 30 minutes is spent conditioning. The coaches have said that girls can bring their homework and work on it there until 5:30 or so. I think it is very distracting for her to work on her homework at a busy gym. I was thinking of suggesting that she either leave at 8 each night instead of 9 or have her skip one week day entirely. Which would you think would be a better option. I can see benefits to both.

Also, thank you for all of the feedback. When I talk to people from the gym everyone is just accepting of it. When I talk to people outside of the gym they see me as a crazy gym mom.

my DD's Level 5 team practices a mandatory 9 hours (3 days x 3 hours) with another 3 hours being optional which my daughter chose NOT to do! So with 9 hours a week training my DD was the state bar champion in her age group! So obviously you can train L5 successfully without needing to be in the gym 20 hours. Good luck with your meeting with the coaches! Let us know how it goes!

when my DD was L5 she was there 12 hours a week with an optional 3 hours available on Sat. She did those too. So that sounds normal to me. I know other gyms at L5 are usually somewhere between 10 hrs and 12 hr at that level around here.

Assuming they train on all the apparati each day, then I would try skipping the Friday practice. That would mean she still does lots of hours, but she will be able to sleep way more. Plus she will have one more night at home to be with the family. Great that the gym is a good fit in all other respects.

"The GIJO program now the AAU in our state" is not correct. they are 2 separate entities. just thought i would clarify.

Oh sorry. I was told that AAU was replacing GIJO due to the more meets, etc. DD's old coach I believe told me that, but maybe it was only at that gym and I misunderstood.

Its not just the number of hours(which are too many), but the late time the girls have practice to. My gymmie has never practiced later than 7:30 on team. Yes, it usually meant going right from school or close to it, but she has that down time when she gets home. No 7 yo should be getting home and trying to get to bed that late.

when my DD was L5 she was there 12 hours a week with an optional 3 hours available on Sat. She did those too. So that sounds normal to me. I know other gyms at L5 are usually somewhere between 10 hrs and 12 hr at that level around here.

We had the same schedule, my older DD was a 9 yr old L5 and my younger was 7 (and 8, in her 2nd season). Neither had any problems w/the schedule either the # hours or the time. Since my little one was younger, she had less homework, was able to do HW right after school and then go to practice from 5-8, go home, eat dinner, shower and in bed by 8.

I think it all depends on your child, her discipline as far as HW, and more importantly how much rest she needs. I hope your DD's coach will be willing to be flexible with you :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back