Parents Top things posted on a gym parent's Facebook page (for fun)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hahahahaha funny. I ready this and just looked through my fb timeline. I've had multiple posts of the LSU gymnast, Paul hunt, the 80 year old lady and other random gymnasts everyone thinks my dd might like.

I also posted a vid the other day of her very first press to handstand on beam, and got a few "wow, she's going to the Olympics!" Comments. People mean well, so I don't say anything. Just have a chuckle to myself.

Anything I post about my 11 yr old level 6 dd gymnastics...medals, videos (3 over the past 5 years), pictures from meets....I always get "wow she's so talented, she's going to the olympics" it just shows how little is known out there in the non gymnastics crowd. ;) It's werid, most other sports people undertand the sport itself and progressions....gymnastics just seems so foreign to everyone

Anything I post about my 11 yr old level 6 dd gymnastics...medals, videos (3 over the past 5 years), pictures from meets....I always get "wow she's so talented, she's going to the olympics" it just shows how little is known out there in the non gymnastics crowd. ;) It's werid, most other sports people undertand the sport itself and progressions....gymnastics just seems so foreign to everyone

I think it is because most sports don't have the same kind d of progressions that gymnastics have. For example, in baseball - once you get past tball, the rules pretty much don't change. Sure, when they are little the coach pitches, but the same position exist, a home run is a home run and you have strikes, balls and innings. Same holds for other team sports. The kids might get bigger and hit harder, etc., but the movements and rules are pretty fixed. Swimming is the same - you use the same strokes, just the distance and the speed are likely to change. And, most people can throw a ball (not all well, but at least the know the basics).

But, in gymnastics, the skills are so foreign to most of us thst any gymnastics looks amazing to someone who probably only watches a couple of hours every 4 years on tv during the Olympics. Most kidd who take a gymnastics class never even make it to the skills of a level 2. Anyone who can do a bHS is pretty impressive to most of the population. I do post videos of some of DD's routines because almost all of our family lives out of state. Level 4 this year is going to look pretty impressive - jumping to the high bar, bhsbhs, the real vault table, cartwheel on the beam. Most people won't realize that those skills are as similar to an Olympian as a toddler rolling a ball across the floor is to the Yankees.

Every single one! Especially #s 1-3! It's hard to come up with a response when I've seen them a million times.

I get tagged in the video of the Russian (I believe) acrobaticgymnasts competing at worlds a few year ago. This happens about 1-2 times a year lol

Such a good thread and so so true LOL! I really hate the olympic comment. There seems to be no good way to answer. I have tried several approaches and none of them seem really good.

#1 Agree with the them. "Yes, I hope my kid does!" You may seem cocky then and then the person really expects that to happen.

#2 Say no that won't happen because you know they are no where near that level. You then seem like a horrible parent that doesn't think your kids is great and squishing dreams.

#3 (which is what I have settled on for now, but let me know if you have any better comebacks to the olympic comment) I try to educate them and say going to the olympics is like winning the lottery. Only 6 kids get picked every 4 years to go out of the many that are very good.

Such a good thread and so so true LOL! I really hate the olympic comment. There seems to be no good way to answer. I have tried several approaches and none of them seem really good.

#1 Agree with the them. "Yes, I hope my kid does!" You may seem cocky then and then the person really expects that to happen.

#2 Say no that won't happen because you know they are no where near that level. You then seem like a horrible parent that doesn't think your kids is great and squishing dreams.

#3 (which is what I have settled on for now, but let me know if you have any better comebacks to the olympic comment) I try to educate them and say going to the olympics is like winning the lottery. Only 6 kids get picked every 4 years to go out of the many that are very good.

Well all get those, don't we? :D I just say, "Thanks! You never know!" or "Always great to have a dream!" to general facebook comments.

If someone is truly interested and inquires, then I'll explain more like your #3 about the difference between what my child is doing vs what it would take to actually make a US Olympic team.

But, in gymnastics, the skills are so foreign to most of us thst any gymnastics looks amazing to someone who probably only watches a couple of hours every 4 years on tv during the Olympics. Most kidd who take a gymnastics class never even make it to the skills of a level 2. Anyone who can do a bHS is pretty impressive to most of the population. I do post videos of some of DD's routines because almost all of our family lives out of state. Level 4 this year is going to look pretty impressive - jumping to the high bar, bhsbhs, the real vault table, cartwheel on the beam. Most people won't realize that those skills are as similar to an Olympian as a toddler rolling a ball across the floor is to the Yankees.

This I post her videos to FB because we are not close to family.
I also post so she can see how she is improving.

The Olympic thing makes me crazy.

Also the "she is the champion". Umm no, she might be your champion (godmother) but at this meet she was third. There was actually another champion for the day:D

Thankfully and unthankfully friends & family post new leotards to my page ...they know how much I love them & that my DD loves them more but honest my bank balance doesn't!

How about "Is she going to be a cheerleader when she gets older?" Dear god, I certainly hope not.

smiley-laughing004.gif

Don't let your gymnasts grow up to be cheerleaders. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back