Parents TOPs season is here!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I made a comment to the coach a while back and she stated it is just like state meet. Whatever age you are before state is age you will compete. I have said things to DD about it and coach keeps saying 8. From what I have read I agree she will be tested as a 9 year old.

So there are only two gyms in my state that do TOPS testing, how would I go about getting her tested, would her coach have to call the gym? (not that she is ready, but she is only 7 and I think she could be ready in a couple yrs, she has a ton of upper body strength compared to others her age). The flexibility piece will be the hard part for her. (those kicks- oh my)

So there are only two gyms in my state that do TOPS testing, how would I go about getting her tested, would her coach have to call the gym? (not that she is ready, but she is only 7 and I think she could be ready in a couple yrs, she has a ton of upper body strength compared to others her age). The flexibility piece will be the hard part for her. (those kicks- oh my)

Does your gym do TOPs? If so, the coaches handle the training and testing. If your gym doesn't participate in TOPs, you're out of luck.

My DD is testing as an 8 year old-- trying three tests. She's not excited that the rope climb got higher, but looking forward generally! She deals great with the waiting for results, and I try hard to hide that I'm not as patient or mature as she is...

I made a comment to the coach a while back and she stated it is just like state meet. Whatever age you are before state is age you will compete. I have said things to DD about it and coach keeps saying 8. From what I have read I agree she will be tested as a 9 year old.
It's not the same as state meet. Age is determined as of December 31st of the testing year. Whatever her age is on New Years Eve is the age she will test. This information is on the usagym website. Maybe discretely print it off and take it to your coach. I don't know what state you are in, but our first test is on June 14 and last test is the first week of August. She doesn't have much time to train the 9YO skills and I believe the physical abilities are also different, 10 presses instead of 5, for example. Further press the issue I'm afraid.

My DD is testing as an 8 year old-- trying three tests. She's not excited that the rope climb got higher, but looking forward generally! She deals great with the waiting for results, and I try hard to hide that I'm not as patient or mature as she is...
I second this! I'm like the kid before Christmas that can't wait and shakes every present trying to figure out what it is.

It's not the same as state meet. Age is determined as of December 31st of the testing year. Whatever her age is on New Years Eve is the age she will test. This information is on the usagym website. Maybe discretely print it off and take it to your coach. I don't know what state you are in, but our first test is on June 14 and last test is the first week of August. She doesn't have much time to train the 9YO skills and I believe the physical abilities are also different, 10 presses instead of 5, for example. Further press the issue I'm afraid.

Thanks, I did state that it was in the materials I read where I saw she would test as a 9 year old. I have even mentioned this to DD. I will try to bring it up again.

Thanks, I did state that it was in the materials I read where I saw she would test as a 9 year old. I have even mentioned this to DD. I will try to bring it up again.

Yeah, re-reading my post sounded a little bit snobby....didn't mean to.....

It just sounds like your DD's coach is dismissing you!

The rope climb is now the same for everyone 7-10...... 12 feet, it in the elite committee minutes. And the updated physical abilities link under the TOPs link on USAGYM.org

Our coaches just went to the TOPS training (or whatever the meeting was) and we were told that the 7yo still had the 6ft line, but the 8yo have been upgraded to the higher line.

Does anyone know? The website does say that they ALL do, but another mom had mention that the minutes say otherwise; hence, we asked the coach.

One gym in our entire state with a TOPs program, and it's far away. I just pulled up the list of kids from our region making A and B team and diamond, and there isn't a single child from our state. This really stinks! I guess our state is in the dark ages for gymnastics. :confused::rolleyes::( Not that I'm sure my daughter would make any of the teams, but I know she would benefit from the training.

Coaches that do not know all that they need to know should contact their state manager. They change stuff all the time in the Tops program.

Our coaches just went to the TOPS training (or whatever the meeting was) and we were told that the 7yo still had the 6ft line, but the 8yo have been upgraded to the higher line.

Does anyone know? The website does say that they ALL do, but another mom had mention that the minutes say otherwise; hence, we asked the coach.

I can definitely see where the confusion is coming from....the updated physical abilities manual says that all age divisions now have the same height (12 ft) but the committee minutes only mention the 8 year olds. I have no idea though..... Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I am wondering if a gymnast can independently attend a TOPs testing even though their gym doesn't follow the program.

Is there a list of all the TOPs programs in Region 1?

"Strive for perfection, achieve excellence".

I am wondering if a gymnast can independently attend a TOPs testing even though their gym doesn't follow the program.

Is there a list of all the TOPs programs in Region 1?

"Strive for perfection, achieve excellence".

I don't think there's a list of participating gyms anywhere for any region, BUT.....you can always look at the list of girls that made it to national testing. I believe it lists their region and the gym they attend.

Thank you! I saw the 2013 list, but Maybe a club has a TOPs program but their gymnast didn't make the 100 list.
I know that for good training you do not have to. E part of a TOP program, but the Amazing Five that competed in Londo, ALL of them participated in the program.

Opinions?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back