WAG TORN ACL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast@<3

Gymnast
alright so it turns out i did tear it, now heres the dealio. i had surgery ten days ago, and im already walking on it without anything. so no brace or anything... is that normal, even though isnt doesnt hurt, is there a chance i screwed it up??

Ummmmm......you really should talk with your doctor to make sure this is ok. The early healing period post-op is critical.

Based on your response and the fact that the doctor told you not to walk on it, yeah I'd be a little worried too! Your reasoning of well it doesn't hurt so I'm going to do it is setting yourself up for a delay recovery. Do what your doctor told you and get off your foot. If you feel like it is fine and you want to walk on it, either call the doctor for approval or get back in and see the doctor. It really isn't any more clear cut than that.

Based on your response and the fact that the doctor told you not to walk on it, yeah I'd be a little worried too! Your reasoning of well it doesn't hurt so I'm going to do it is setting yourself up for a delay recovery. Do what your doctor told you and get off your foot. If you feel like it is fine and you want to walk on it, either call the doctor for approval or get back in and see the doctor. It really isn't any more clear cut than that.
i know!! and im really scared now... im staying off it now, and babying it like crazy.. im seeing the doctor thursday. i think it would be obvious if i messed it up... wouldnt it be, i mean its an ACL

Put your brace on and take a rest. You will not get better. Something to me seems a little off about this situation based on this & your other post

Park your butt on the couch until you see your dr. When you go, do NOT lie about what you've been doing in it. He needs full disclosure so he can help get you to the finish line!

alright so it turns out i did tear it, now heres the dealio. i had surgery ten days ago, and im already walking on it without anything. so no brace or anything... is that normal, even though isnt doesnt hurt, is there a chance i screwed it up??

no. perfectly normal. you had a good result. :)

Ok. Dunno is PROBABLY right. MOST LIKELY it is all fine.

HOWEVER, when my sister had her ACL repaired, the doctor did something that kept her from having any pain for the first 1-2 weeks. He also gave her pain meds "just in case" she had pain. She FELT that she could walk on it, there was no pain and her knee didn't give out on her...
After her ACL REPLACEMENT surgery, he did the same thing, but it didn't work as well. She actually needed the pain meds some. She followed the directions and didn't even go to her bedroom for 2 weeks (because it was upstairs and he said no stairs).

obviously, you listen to the Doc. my experience is that kids embellish just a bit. and she didn't say she was running thru the house. or doing back flips on the bed. or long jumping down the basement stairs. or...

you have to walk to the toilet, etc; :) please read the entirety of her posts. they are a bit convoluted. she's a kid.

Ok. Dunno is PROBABLY right. MOST LIKELY it is all fine.

HOWEVER, when my sister had her ACL repaired, the doctor did something that kept her from having any pain for the first 1-2 weeks. He also gave her pain meds "just in case" she had pain. She FELT that she could walk on it, there was no pain and her knee didn't give out on her...
After her ACL REPLACEMENT surgery, he did the same thing, but it didn't work as well. She actually needed the pain meds some. She followed the directions and didn't even go to her bedroom for 2 weeks (because it was upstairs and he said no stairs).
the nerve block wore off already and ive only been taking advil.. i went to the trainer, and he said im alright

So you ignore the advice of a trained medical professional but then want advice from a wide variety of strangers bout your medical condition? Which do you value more?????
it is important to me to get opinions from gymnasts, and coaches and parents because they may have had experience with this. obviously the doctors word is more valued however i wont see him for a while still, and i was anxious. and i didnt ignore it, i thought it was fine due to no pain.

it is important to me to get opinions from gymnasts, and coaches and parents because they may have had experience with this. obviously the doctors word is more valued however i wont see him for a while still, and i was anxious. and i didnt ignore it, i thought it was fine due to no pain.

the experience of the Surgeon trumps that of everyone else because they see more of these than anyone else.

post op, they fill the knee with a lot of pain killing drugs which is why you felt good. don't take advantage of that. the reason for doing this is so that your brain doesn't get any signals from the knee that it is in pain/distress. when the brain gets those signals, the brain starts making the body produce things to go help the knee out. but in fact, these things actually make the healing of the knee take longer and may cause to much inflammation. inflammation is necessary for healing. but to much delays the healing process. so, just because you don't feel any pain doesn't mean you can jump up and down to test how it feels. you could tear the graft and cause another surgery.

to the Docs on this site, i hope that my explanation was sufficient for someone in her age group. i thought that explaining reanastomosis might be a bit much. :)

the experience of the Surgeon trumps that of everyone else because they see more of these than anyone else.

post op, they fill the knee with a lot of pain killing drugs which is why you felt good. don't take advantage of that. the reason for doing this is so that your brain doesn't get any signals from the knee that it is in pain/distress. when the brain gets those signals, the brain starts making the body produce things to go help the knee out. but in fact, these things actually make the healing of the knee take longer and may cause to much inflammation. inflammation is necessary for healing. but to much delays the healing process. so, just because you don't feel any pain doesn't mean you can jump up and down to test how it feels. you could tear the graft and cause another surgery.

to the Docs on this site, i hope that my explanation was sufficient for someone in her age group. i thought that explaining reanastomosis might be a bit much. :)
post op, that's after right?

yes. and i assume you have to go to the bathroom. so it's probably ok if the toilet is on the same floor where you are spending most of your time and you have to walk a few feet to do so. they gave you crutches so you should be using at least one of those to get to the toilet. you should NOT be doing stairs. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back