Parents Trampoline

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
I had planned on getting my son a trampoline for the backyard for his birthday day coming up soon. I overheard a few of the team girl mom's talking about how bad they are for gymnasts. Would I be making a mistake? I was really looking forward to him tumbling somewhere other then my living room.

They can be good or bad. They can be good if they have safety features and your child uses it to practice things he has learned at the gym. It can be bad if he uses it to learn things he hasn't at gym and thus develops bad habits and poor form.

Tramps are very controversial for a ton of reasons and that is not even about gymnastics.

That said we have a trampoline. Its a safety issue. There is a net so kids can not get hurt on the springs and topple off. And do you use it as intended. One kid jumping in the middle at a time. We have strict rules. Only one kid in the middle at the time............And my kid doesn't practice or gymnastics on it. No flips, tucks, HS.

Wanted to add, no kids on the tramp without an adult watching, much like a pool. Pools and tramps are great fun and can be incredibly dangerous. Our tramp is positioned so we can see from the house, and the deck slider is open so we can hear everything. They don't play by the rules, tramp time done.

We have very similar rules for ours, although I will let DD do back handsprings if I am out there and on the tramp "spotting" her.

From a coach's point of view, no.

They learn and reinforce bad technique, which takes a very long time to undo in the gym.

With home tramps if they bounce high enough to allow correct technique, they're incredibly dangerous without spotters, end decks etc. If they don't bounce very high, kids will learn chucky, head flinging, bad shape stuff.

So no.

Sorry to hijack but if we are talking home equipment for practicing... my dd wants hubby to build a bar like her classmate/preteam-mate at gym has for her birthday. Not very high/maybe like the low bar I think. I know a lot have said no, but with rules again.. thoughts?

Lots of opinions. Gymnastics stays in the gym. Bar for pull-ups that it. Just my one opinion.

We actually do have a trampoline,, but it is not used fro gymnastics. Friends hang out on it. THey jump, 1 at a time. He might flip on it but no double anythings. Mainly kids sit on it and hang out.

It is leaving us this year....too windy where we live to keep it in good condition, and, well, he will be 15!

We have a gym at home. Ou DD never wanted a playroom. She only plays in her gym. No barbie,dolls, video games. She is crazy about gymnastics from top to Bottom BUT she only practices non-dangerous skills that her coaches give us pointers. She does a lot of artistics and turns. We have a bar, spring floor, pit, mats, climbing rope, beam well everything a crazy gym enthousiast needs to be happy

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1486769173.355839.jpg

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1486769194.388456.jpg

Some of you will judge us...but again NON-dangerous skills only. We, as parents, tought it would be less dangerous to have the right equipment then having her trying different things on the floor, the couch or anywhere.

I know. It's crazy. Got the springs free if I removed them myself and the boards were in bad shape. Had to start from scratch. But it was worth it for my DD. Honnestly, no friends of ber as never came play at Home as we know our daughter is really serious about training and she knows and understand what she can and.cannot do. Don't think we can pull this off with friends in the gym. It's her special place. Like a hockey player would love an ice rink in the backyard. The bar is adjustable for different heights and can be swittched for a bar with a roll. We sold a lot of things from hers and bought a flexi-roll tonput over the spring floor.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1486771228.728268.jpg

We have a trampoline. My younger son saved up for it himself- he was 6 at the time! And we got it before our daughter was serious about gymnastics. It is enclosed and all of the springs are completely covered. We're pretty strict with safety rules. We're about to add on and there might not be room for it- that's probably fine with us! My kids do LOVE it and spend a lot of time in it. I think it is good for their physical fitness, but maybe not for gymnastics.

We have a gym at home. Ou DD never wanted a playroom. She only plays in her gym. No barbie,dolls, video games. She is crazy about gymnastics from top to Bottom BUT she only practices non-dangerous skills that her coaches give us pointers. She does a lot of artistics and turns. We have a bar, spring floor, pit, mats, climbing rope, beam well everything a crazy gym enthousiast needs to be happy

View attachment 6531
View attachment 6532

Some of you will judge us...but again NON-dangerous skills only. We, as parents, tought it would be less dangerous to have the right equipment then having her trying different things on the floor, the couch or anywhere.
I showed your gym to my daughter. Her eyes lit up. She would love to have a gym like that. Perhaps not one with a rope.:D

You mean my daughter. 7 years old. We live in Canada. Not the same training but from what inwas told she would be in level 7. She will turn 8 end of april. Thanks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back