DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Here is the announcement on Instagram...

I'm honestly not that excited about this. The last time she tried elite, it felt like a bit of a joke. Her floor in particular stands out to me - she was falling and just clearly not prepared to be hitting those skills in a routine and overall looked really out of place. I wish there were another option for these women who love the sport and competing but don't have citizenship in another country.

Ultimately, she is good enough to be given an opportunity to show what she can do and if she can compete at that level for the US. A multiple national team member, NCAA champion and not really removed from the sport for a year or two. I am very excited to see how she does. Plus she is a genuinely great human being.

I have no clue if she has a shot at it or not, but of all the women going back to elite she is my favorite. Over the years that I have seen her I have observed her being a kind, caring, humble, intelligent woman. I remember watching her during meets and saw how she treated her team with such respect, compassion and appeared to be an amazing leader. I would love to see her succeed in this endeavor, however based on what I have seen of her character I am willing to bet that no matter the outcome she will handle it with grace and dignity. :)

I'm honestly not that excited about this. The last time she tried elite, it felt like a bit of a joke. Her floor in particular stands out to me - she was falling and just clearly not prepared to be hitting those skills in a routine and overall looked really out of place. I wish there were another option for these women who love the sport and competing but don't have citizenship in another country.
That is interesting! I have only watched her at college. Like everyone else I do like what I have seen of her and only wish her the best. I think it will be interesting to see how she handles elite level and to really see the difference between elite and NCAA.

I hope she makes it. Unpopular opinion alert: I’m not that excited about Biles and Douglas returning, I’d rather see the new elites who’ve been working towards a chance at 2024 for the last 6-8 years.
I’m excited about Biles and Thomas. I’d also love to see Joscelyn Roberson make the team if she’s going for it. Her mom posts here and she feels like one of our own.

I hope she makes it. Unpopular opinion alert: I’m not that excited about Biles and Douglas returning, I’d rather see the new elites who’ve been working towards a chance at 2024 for the last 6-8 years.

Agree with this! Excited to see them compete again, and I know there are no guarantees in this sport and a lot can happen in a year, but if all the "oldies" make it (Simone, Jordan, Jade, Suni, Gabi), there will be no room for the new girls, and that would be sad.

Agree with this! Excited to see them compete again, and I know there are no guarantees in this sport and a lot can happen in a year, but if all the "oldies" make it (Simone, Jordan, Jade, Suni, Gabi), there will be no room for the new girls, and that would be sad.
Personally, I like the idea of the sport having a little more longevity. There is still room for the younger girls, they just have to be better than the rest... which has always been the requirement. I could understand this argument if the older girls didn't earn their spots but, as far as I know, they all have the same chance as it is based on skills not age.

I’m excited about Biles and Thomas. I’d also love to see Joscelyn Roberson make the team if she’s going for it. Her mom posts here and she feels like one of our own.
Awwww, thank you! I definitely would not have made it through to where we are now without my CB family! Just FTR though, lol, yes, that is her goal! And I personally feel like it’s a long shot in the dark for all of them, except Simone. But I do feel like Josc’s chances have improved tremendously over the last few months.

Personally, I like the idea of the sport having a little more longevity. There is still room for the younger girls, they just have to be better than the rest... which has always been the requirement. I could understand this argument if the older girls didn't earn their spots but, as far as I know, they all have the same chance as it is based on skills not age.
There’s barely room for anyone, lol; however, things are not always as they seem. ‘Better’ is such a subjective term. For example, let’s say you have two gymnasts that tie for a position on a team: one has a higher D score and the other a higher E score, but exactly the same overall score for a particular event. Which one is better? Or, what if, a veteran has a mediocre day on their namesake event, do you pick the brand new first year elite that scored a bit higher? And when it comes to veterans, should they get extra considerations for having proven themselves to be able to handle the added pressures of such high stake competitions? Add in considerations for previous injuries, peaked vs. peaking, and even politics. With all things to be considered, I’m not sure anyone could objectively say that any of these girls are ‘better’ than the rest, excluding Simone, of course. IMO, the girls that are coming of age this cycle are at a disadvantage for Paris selections, especially those that will enter into Sr. Elite next year, but those just returning from NCAA have the disadvantage for World Selections this year. Things will be very interesting, to say the least!!!

Awwww, thank you! I definitely would not have made it through to where we are now without my CB family! Just FTR though, lol, yes, that is her goal! And I personally feel like it’s a long shot in the dark for all of them, except Simone. But I do feel like Josc’s chances have improved tremendously over the last few months.
It looks like she had an awesome camp, just based on scores!

We are all rooting for her! Good luck at the Classic!

There’s barely room for anyone, lol; however, things are not always as they seem. ‘Better’ is such a subjective term. For example, let’s say you have two gymnasts that tie for a position on a team: one has a higher D score and the other a higher E score, but exactly the same overall score for a particular event. Which one is better? Or, what if, a veteran has a mediocre day on their namesake event, do you pick the brand new first year elite that scored a bit higher? And when it comes to veterans, should they get extra considerations for having proven themselves to be able to handle the added pressures of such high stake competitions? Add in considerations for previous injuries, peaked vs. peaking, and even politics. With all things to be considered, I’m not sure anyone could objectively say that any of these girls are ‘better’ than the rest, excluding Simone, of course. IMO, the girls that are coming of age this cycle are at a disadvantage for Paris selections, especially those that will enter into Sr. Elite next year, but those just returning from NCAA have the disadvantage for World Selections this year. Things will be very interesting, to say the least!!!
So if your daughter finds herself in the position of some of these older girls then you want her to stop competing to make room for the younger girls coming up after her?

So if your daughter finds herself in the position of some of these older girls then you want her to stop competing to make room for the younger girls coming up after her?
No, I don’t have a problem with any of these girls trying for spots and competing. I’m just saying that there’s more to it than being ‘better’. I used to be naive, I’m just not anymore, but that doesn’t mean that I think anyone shouldn’t shoot their shot. And it wouldn’t matter what I thought my dd should do, this is and always has been her journey and I’m mostly just along for the ride.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back