WAG Tucks with ankle weights?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

I am usually not a fan of training with weights in general, if you are a L1-L8, because there are so many hard exercises you can do with your own bodyweihht. (for higher levels it might help very well).
Anyways, I have been using ankle weights only for squat jumps, some straddle and split jumps and lying leg kicks.

Now I heard that some people do tucks with ankle weigths on? They start on trampoline and then go to floor. Is this good? I tried it on the tramp and it totally confuses me. It feels as if the center of mass changes and it's just weird.

Our kids use them here and there, more often for training bars but sometimes for leaps and few other simple skills. I always figured by optionals they are so strong that it wouldnt hurt, and can see where it would help target certain muscles. Oh well, one more thing to worry about. Talking to coach goes like this:
Parents: I have a concern
Coach: This is why I do it this way
P: Have you considered another way instead?
C: So we agree, then? Good talk!
o_O

Our kids use them here and there, more often for training bars but sometimes for leaps and few other simple skills. I always figured by optionals they are so strong that it wouldnt hurt, and can see where it would help target certain muscles. Oh well, one more thing to worry about. Talking to coach goes like this:
o_O

That sounds not really good. I mean, coaches -most of the time- know what they do, but still could listen and explain!!!

I think ankle weights helps with all stuff that is based on jumping and strength stuff, like squat jumps, split jumps, straddle jumps, leg lifts, reverser leg lifts. But in my opinion, it changes the center of mass which makes you feel really weird if you use them for tumbling or on bars!

I don't know why you would want to do back tucks with ankle weights. I'm sure these people think it's teaching a double back or something but that's not necessary.

o_O

Yes! That is exactly how a talk with DD's HC would go! I would never dare bring up an issue like this. Not only would the coaches never change anything based on what I said, I would be made to feel a fool in the process....

I am usually not a fan of training with weights in general, if you are a L1-L8, because there are so many hard exercises you can do with your own bodyweihht. (for higher levels it might help very well).
Anyways, I have been using ankle weights only for squat jumps, some straddle and split jumps and lying leg kicks.

Now I heard that some people do tucks with ankle weigths on? They start on trampoline and then go to floor. Is this good? I tried it on the tramp and it totally confuses me. It feels as if the center of mass changes and it's just weird.
In my opinion, ankle weights are kinda like butter knives, they can be dangerous if used improperly! ;) For coaches that don't understand for who and when to use them, I recommend they don't. For the others, yes they are a very good training aid. I saw Tammy Biggs several months ago and we talked extensively about them. I asked her if she still felt they were as important and as safe as she once promoted, and she said 'definitely, as long as the coaches know what they are doing with them.' I value her opinion very much, and I have had very good luck with weights for many years, so I guess it's just dependent on the coach.

We do 4 bhs in a row, tucks, and bhs tucks on tumble track with them on. I hope it's not bad because we use them a lot!!

Back in the day we used to do standing back tucks and tsuk timers on the vault with ankle weights on every single vault practice.

Sometimes we would have to do giants with weights on too. One time my coach told me to see if I could still do my straddle back to HS with ankle weights on. :eek:

Back in the day we used to do standing back tucks and tsuk timers on the vault with ankle weights on every single vault practice.

Sometimes we would have to do giants with weights on too. One time my coach told me to see if I could still do my straddle back to HS with ankle weights on. :eek:

My DD had a coach with this philosophy until a year and a half ago. My DD is no longer in gymnastics, partly due to lingering and severe back pain. Back pain and muscle issues at least partially related to the incorrect use and overuse of ankle weights from ages 10-14. The extra weight and added pounding while running, leaping, tumbling, vaulting and even swinging bars can have severe effects on backs and growth plates, especially ankle and knee growth plates. There are lots of articles on the potential damage if you dig around. In my mind, any perceived gain does not outweigh the risks, especially since many coaches really don't know how ankle weights should be used correctly. If you have a choice, I would strongly urge you not to use them. You can also do a search on CB on the subject. There are many past threads on the topic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back