Parents tumbling at a dance studio or a cheer gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pullover

Proud Parent
My daughter (age 6) is anxious to learn more tumbling than they are doing on her pre team. We have the option to do private lessons at a cheer gym or a class at a dance studio. I know most moms on this board are wary of cheer tumbling -would a dance studio be a better option or should we skip tumbling all together? Her gymnastics gym doesn't offer any tumbling or private lessons and her preteam is only 1.5 hours 2x per week and we'd love to add one more session of tumbling to her schedule.

Tell her coaches what you are looking for and ask for their suggestions. Even in preteam I would not take gymnastics or tumbling from any other place without clearing it with her coaches. Many gyms are very sensitive about that.

Most dancers I know supplement their tumbling at a gym, not vice versa. I believe they tumble on std dance floors.

I agree with @txgymfan on this one. Clear it through your gym first :)

I would clear it with the gym, but my girls have always done acro at dance school, and their gym coaches don't mind at all- can't hurt to ask!

I remember when I was younger and left gymnastics... I later started dance and HATED the "tumbling" they did - it was very different as was cheer tumbling when I got to high school. I would definitely talk to the coaches or look for another gym.

Definitely talk to your coach for suggestions. Most coaches are fiercely territorial of their gymnasts. When my DD was in pre-team (or maybe L3, can't remember), I asked our HC if she could take a tumbling class at OUR gym. Man, if looks could kill........ Needless to say, she did NOT take tumbling class.

I understand wanting to get more tumbling, but I have a DD who has had to work extra hard to get the correct form on her tumbling after learning form incorrectly (at a nother less serious gym), so I am not sure whether extra learning elsewhere will help or hurt your daughter. had mine learned right (right by gymnastics scoring standards and probably safety) she would not have had to spend so much time later re-learning. just a thought

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back