Two straddle press handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kasmom

My daughter has been able to do one straddle press handstand for over a year now. They do not do these at gymnastics. She saw it on youtube and taught herself. She does one everyday. But, that's all she can do is one. She has been trying to do 2 in a row for some time now but just can't do it. Does anybody have any tips to help her? She is 7 years old and level 4.

Since nobody answered I assume it just takes time to build up to doing two in a row without stopping. She can do several as long as she takes a short break between them.

pretty much, yes. It's all about practice. Also, spotting would help.

It just seems a bit weird for a gym, which is obviously dealing with a talented kid, because otherwise you wouldnt be at level 4 at that age, not to do presses.

Hi, my dd started working these in her developmental class early last year. Pretty much they taught the parts all differently, then put it all together with a spot. ( i mean, a station for going up into handstand, a station for coming back to straddle, on the beam, off the beam, etc) Now she is like your dd, 7 and a level 4. They mostly work these in their TOPs training. I think the key to doing two or more in a row is how they control returning to the straddle from handstand. (that just seems to be where the girls lose their balance and fall out of it) My dd practices handstand to straddle a LOT, and then goes for the multiple presses. She can do about 5 in a row now, if she keeps her focus on the "returning to straddle" phase.

I don't know if that even made sense, but I hope it helped a little...

Have her work series of them against the wall.

Doing 1 straddle press handstand is her 100% max. She needs to work these a fair amount of time but for building up volume, it will help if she tries an easier progression.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back