WAG Uk v US levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Uglybetty

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of a comparison between US levels and UK compulsory levels?

I love reading CB but get lost when US parents say a kid is level ? because I can't visualise what that means. I appreciate there may not be precise correlation but a rough idea would help.

Its tough as we don't have compulsory skills and routines like they do. I have been wondering the same thing and I reckon P&F who is competing is Level 5 UK atm, I have checked out US level 5 and she could easily do all the skills there, but I don't know what Level 6 involves so don't know if she could do those skills.

Link Removed is a list of US skills by level. You should be able to roughly figure out what UK level they correspond to. It may be different on each apparatus, though...

Thanks - thats the one I saw, but is there a similar list for level 6 and above ?

I think this is it: Link Removed

Level 6+ are optional - so not all the routines are the same between competitors, like it is for 1-5.

Brilliant, thanks - so I reckon our Level 5 is USGA Level 5 1/2, P&F should be able to do US level 6, possible with a bit more work on Bars.

We have compulsory skills for each level in the uk but we dont have compulsory dance routines or music. I think that is good that every gymnast can have their own music and dance and not just all the same as each other. The skills are the same but the routine can be made different by different dance and music. I think in the US there compulsory levels have the dance and music all the same for each gymnast

In the US the levels go from 1 to 10 and level 10 is the highest. In the UK the compulsory levels go from 5 to 1 with 1 being the highest.

We have compulsory skills for each level in the uk but we dont have compulsory dance routines or music. I think that is good that every gymnast can have their own music and dance and not just all the same as each other. The skills are the same but the routine can be made different by different dance and music. I think in the US there compulsory levels have the dance and music all the same for each gymnast

That's true but US level 6 starts the optional levels so they can do the same thing with the different music and dance at that point. So if UK 5 is roughly US "5.5" as another poster suggested the US gymnasts can self express at roughly the same skill level as the UK girls.

That would go with someone once telling me that the level 5's are similar. UK level 4 sounds about US 6.5 I think DD (UK level 4) is competing somewhere between US 6 and 7, but nearer 7, and training somewhere between US 7 and 8 reading the chart ready to compete that in March.

Vbbf, I am jealous, or would have been 11-15 years ago when dd was doing Ls 4 5 6. The worst was when we put on a compulsory meet (I was always scorekeeper because I am a computer tech) and I sat through session after session of that music. All these years later I can still hum it. I think I hear it in my dreams Talk about torture! :eek:.

Crikey, just looked at that chart ! DD been in gym for 6 years and I still have no clue what any of that means. I know the skills by name but not by values...

I did try to look at the code of points once, which was just as confusing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back