Parents Underwear and leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am not entirely sure, but it's not just a recommendation, it's in our signed handbook and I know of 3 other gyms that have sent notice of this policy in the last year. I always assumed it was a hygiene, prepare for when you're older kind of thing. It was odd for my daughter at first, but we found a brand of under leo briefs she loves and she's very used to it now. I don't know that she could go back to not wearing them. Plus the sports bras add an additional option to decorate your gym ensemble.

Our girls are required to wear briefs under their leos at practice. They all wear the nude high cut gym panties GK sells. They all wear sports bras too, even those who don't need them.

It's become a common policy in this area, many gyms are doing this.

DD's former gym had that policy as well. We were told it was uncomfortable for the coaches at times to spot and girls who weren't wearing undergarments needed to start. We skipped the sports bra as she was really young.

Our coaches encourage the little girls to wear something, but as far as I know of there is no official policy. Our AAU program is pretty laid back about uniform deductions, and our girls compete that until they are ready for USAG 4 or 5. When we officially start team and order the competition leotard, we will see if there is an official policy. I did manage to find bikini underwear small enough for my girls to wear without buying actual gymnastics briefs

DD used to wear flesh-tone high-cut dance undies underneath her practice leos, they didn't show at all. In more recent times she stopped wearing undies under her leo because 'nobody else wears them' (in her training group).

My girls both go "commando" under leos - less to pick out if the bottom. We even had to cut the panties out of competition Leo last season. I figure Leo is like swimsuit, and you would never wear undies with that. Maybe when my girls are closer to puberty that will change. At 6, as long as the Leo isn't too tight, she should be fine. Judges will, supposedly, take off for panties showing under the Leo we were told.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Hmm my 12 yo wears undies and always has, even for comps. She used to wear the GK briefs but they were expensive. I now get her the xs Victoria's Secret bikini briefs and they peak out. I think all the girls do in our gym, at least the older ones do. For what it's worth, they are not allowed to wear shorts so maybe that's why?

Over here we tend to use Marks and Spencer undies (currently free postage to the US), their high leg no VPL are quiet good

Never underwear under leos here. But we are 9. I know the older kids wear bras and then the whole puberty thing changes things also.

We do have undersuits (full beige/nude colour) for under their comp suits.

I always had my kiddos wear no underwear, but now my 6 y/o has a tendency to get infections and the pediatrician said it was from the hours spend in the leos. So we have her wear panties.. it looks awful.. I try to buy her high cut ones so they done hang out LOL

No undies under full leos here either, however DD wears the crop top and little shorts in training so obviously she wears undies with them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I am SO glad for this thread. The question of underwear under the leo has been a moral dilemma for me lately. My 4 yo dd refuses to wear underwear under her leo, and I wasn't sure whether I should be insisting or not. Looking around the gym it looks like some do, some don't. DD wears underwear under her dance class leo becuase she also wears tights and they help hide anything that might poke out. For some reason she accepts this double standard (it helps that her au pair dresses her for dance class, so she gets that the au pair will not let her leave the house without underwear while mommy has a weaker moral fiber).

Now I'll let her continue to go underwear-less, as she wishes. She has a nice leo that covers her up well. And only girl coaches so far.

Funny story- my 26 month old also goes to gymnastics, and I sometimes let her wear a leotard (usually just leggings & t shirt because the girl is not good about letting me dress her after class and I can't be bothered to chase after her with pants). Anyway she has heard this discussion about underwear with her big sister, and last time we got to the gym she was wearing a leo and started taking off her diaper- she felt that if big sis doesn't wear underwear with a leo she shouldn't have to wear a diaper. I know, a diaper sticking out is even worse than a leo... but dude, she's 2. She is almost fully potty trained but I'm just not willing to risk an accident in the foam pit. I think I'd have trouble going back there :)

Dani, LOL, sounds like a good motivation for potty training. No accidents for 24 hrs ( or 48) and no diaper in a leo. Better than M and Ms. I agree an accident in the pit would be really bad.

I am SO glad for this thread. The question of underwear under the leo has been a moral dilemma for me lately. My 4 yo dd refuses to wear underwear under her leo, and I wasn't sure whether I should be insisting or not. Looking around the gym it looks like some do, some don't. DD wears underwear under her dance class leo becuase she also wears tights and they help hide anything that might poke out. For some reason she accepts this double standard (it helps that her au pair dresses her for dance class, so she gets that the au pair will not let her leave the house without underwear while mommy has a weaker moral fiber).

Now I'll let her continue to go underwear-less, as she wishes. She has a nice leo that covers her up well. And only girl coaches so far.

Funny story- my 26 month old also goes to gymnastics, and I sometimes let her wear a leotard (usually just leggings & t shirt because the girl is not good about letting me dress her after class and I can't be bothered to chase after her with pants). Anyway she has heard this discussion about underwear with her big sister, and last time we got to the gym she was wearing a leo and started taking off her diaper- she felt that if big sis doesn't wear underwear with a leo she shouldn't have to wear a diaper. I know, a diaper sticking out is even worse than a leo... but dude, she's 2. She is almost fully potty trained but I'm just not willing to risk an accident in the foam pit. I think I'd have trouble going back there :)

say what?????

No undies here. DD used to wear a leo with bike short type legs on it so she could wear her underwear but when she made team I told her the team girls don't wear underwear with their leos. She was a little taken aback but now she wouldn't have it any other way. I don't know if the older team girls wear anything under theirs but I do occasionally see a girl with shorts over a leo, or a sports bra peeking out. Of course, all this is during training time and never at a competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back