Parents Update on DD Leaving Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, I was expecting tears when we talked with the coaches (dd's not the coaches ;). But, there were none. She was a bit apprehensive and stressed about her fears. Coaches came up with a new game plan. I still think she is done, but will finish out the season.

I want her leaving gymnastics feeling proud of herself for doing the right thing and supporting her team through states (she's a high scorer on floor and beam esp.). She is o.k. with it. She complained about so many hours, but when the Coaches offered to let her go down to 3 days she declined. Who can figure this kid out???

Again, I thank everyone for their kind words. I think that we are still close to done, but she sure didn't seem that way when given the opportunity to walk away.

So here we are... crazy gymnastics still here!!! I'm happy and sad (cause I'm poor) at the same time. :dizzy:

Update #2: Still adamant she wants to quit ASAP. Saw her counselor today who pointed out that kids live in the here and now. Gymnastics seasons are kinda long (not over until end of April) and recommends letting her quit on her terms in her time... So Kay is going to think about it and give her final decision after her (probably final) meet this weekend. I don't think she'll change her mind. I think me and her coaches are her only conflict. I think she is at peace with her decision to leave... now if I can just get to that peaceful place, LOL!

Sounds like you are handeling it great! I agree with counselor (aren't they wonderful!), with all of the dangerous flipping its seems safer to have her focused. It may be nice for both of you that she has a "last" meet, just to give it a sense of ending.

Good Luck and keep posting!

From a mom who went through it it is very tough to figure out what they want. I was really lucky that daughters head coach was so helpful with this process. My daughter went along with finishing out the season but it was a tough year. After she and the coach decided she still sent me mixed messages her coach emailed me that she was done at the begining of a 4 hour practice so I rushed to the gym to pick her up and my daughter got mad at me and wanted to stay for the whole practice. Then later that day she acted like she was going to go to gym for another month and quot before summer. So I had to tell her if you were done then and had no intention of continuing for the summer than she needed to stop I was not going to spend my money and take time away from the other girls who were continuing. It sounds a little harsh but I told her if she changes her mind she could go back or just go to recrec classes or even the Y. She has not expressed any regrets so far and has not missed it.
Although with your daughter it seems like it is more of fear and she is asking what else will she do. My daughter had some fears but I think the driving factor was she was in pain and she wanted to do other things. Is she doing any of the skills she is afraid of in the meet maybe she will channge her mind.
It is hard because you have to help them figure what they really want. Other people just tell you to let them quit but if you are not in the sport they do not realize how difficult it is to go back too. My daughter seems to be fine but I still second quess should I have let her continue till the summer would she have changed her mind. Now that she is away from it and has the freedom to do so many other things I do not think she would ever choose to back now.
I hope she has a good meet this weekend.

Is she doing any of the skills she is afraid of in the meet maybe she will channge her mind.

No, she is doing level 5 again. She is afraid of BHS/BT, BWO on beam. They don't spot at this gym and I believe that has added to her fear.

I know she's done, I just hate that it is fear that has chased her out. But, I suppose with gymnastics it is always something, fear, pain, injury, life on the outside, etc. She already had an acro class and loved it. She is eagerly awaiting lyrical to start on Thursday. The kid is done. Mom is the one who is having the hard time.

Thanks PGM and thanks everyone else for your support.

No, she is doing level 5 again. She is afraid of BHS/BT, BWO on beam. They don't spot at this gym and I believe that has added to her fear.

I know she's done, I just hate that it is fear that has chased her out. But, I suppose with gymnastics it is always something, fear, pain, injury, life on the outside, etc. She already had an acro class and loved it. She is eagerly awaiting lyrical to start on Thursday. The kid is done. Mom is the one who is having the hard time.

Thanks PGM and thanks everyone else for your support.

meaning no life on the inside? like prison??:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back