Parents Update on Training Group Situation - Long

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just wanted to add that if you dd decides to stay with this sport for years to come and eventually makes it to optionals, this coach would be her coach! Do you really think she is going to work hard with your dd when she is an optional if she already has this opinion of her now?

I believe if you do not make the change now, you will be making the change if a few years once your dd became an optional... if the coaching staff hasn't driven her out of sport with all of their negative comments and lack of coaching! I know this is harsh, but it will probably is the truth....

$450 is more than twice what our level 5s pay. They train 16 hours a week, too. I think you should consider going where you will get your money's worth, even if its a little farther. We used to drive 45 min. one-way because we had no other options. If you can get a carpool going or join one at the other gym, it will really help you out. Carpools have helped me survive this crazy thing called gymnastics.

I pay $450 a month for my Level 10 and she's in the gym 25-30 hours a week..I think our 5s pay 375 a month....but the whole issue isn't just the money, it's that she's miserable and not really being coached and as I've said in the past, when you are even thinking of switching gyms, you should have made the move a year ago. Move her now (today!) and don't look back...

When we moved gyms a few years ago, our commute went from 30 to 60 minutes (minimum) each way but it has been well worth it... my daughter has been very happy with the move and the coaching they do get used to the ride...they do homework, eat dinner etc all in the car.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the kind comments and support. It's so nice to have people who understand the demands and stresses of this sport from both the gymnast and family stand point to ask questions of and get advice from.

My daughter will be doing a tryout at another gym shortly. It was so nice to speak with their owner and hear her say, "We don't pride ourselves on our superstars, because everyone has a superstar. We pride ourselves on the girls who gymnastics is a struggle for who we can turn into great competitors."

Crossing my fingers it's a fit because extra drive or not the hours of her level are awesome!

And our tuition payment just hit the bank for the old gym and it is indeed $458 monthly. Scary stuff!! :eek:

Oh and Granny Smith I just LOVED your comment. That is exactly what the other mom said to me at the gym last night. She was like holy crud, if she thinks our girls are so bad now, what's she going to do with them when she is their coach?!?

To me, it seems like a no brainer.....I would take your daughter to the other gym for a "trial" class or week and see how it goes...when you are paying what you are paying and driving and spending time in a gym...it seems only reasonable that the child should be happy, be learning and be achieving success...if it isn't happening at the current gym..then it's time for a change...I say go for it!

I totally agree. It sounds like they don't value your business or your DD. For what it's worth, it sounds to me like you are doing the right thing. If your DD goes over to the new gym with her friend, that would be cool since she will already know someone over there. Best of luck, and let us know how the trial goes!

Last edited:
Sharks3376, did you get a chance to tryout the other gym? Was thinking about your dd and hoping things have gotten better.

She had a tryout today at the new gym and it went very well. I am being restrained and holding off on any decisions until she has her second tryout later in the week though. My daughter however is already sold. She was beaming as we left saying, "that was so much fun!!!" She really got to have a full day of uptraining L6 skills and she loved every minute of it.

The atmosphere was great too and the girls were very welcoming to my daughter. She knows a few of them already from friends' parties and a couple of her old teammates have landed there as well.

This gym has many more L5's than her current gym and they too are split into 2 training groups however both groups are identical in the number of hours they train and what they train. They split the groups so that they are balanced talent wise so neither group is stronger than the other which is nice. No feeling of having an "a team" and "b team".

Crossing my fingers for a positive day 2 later this week :)

THat sounds quite posistive. Did you infiltrate the parents group and ask them the important stuff?

How does that cost compare?

This sounds like a good thing for both of you. I hope it works out. I must say that I am truly blessed in our gym's costs. My dd is level 9, 20 hours a week and we only pay $280. (last year she was 1st alternate for the national team from our region, so lower cost does not equal lower training or achievement.) I don't know how you all do it with those much higher costs. I admire you. (this is sincere, not facetious. It is such a sacrifice for our children.)

Sounds to me like her mind's made up. When Olivia did a trial at her current gym she said the same thing your dd did ~ "that was so much fun". Never heard those words out of her mouth at our old gym. The switch was so worth it. Even though we pay a bit more where we are now there's not as much of a time committment or as much pressure put on her. I'll think we'll be hearing stories of a new gym soon! ;)

I'm a little late on the bandwagon...but good luck at the second tryout! I think you have found your daughter's new gym!

This 2nd visit will be your time to get all the information you can--hours of practice for L5/6, tuition for both levels, are they looking at new leos/warm ups, what is the summer schedule like, any other "musts" that would involve your or dd. Certainly ask about a booster club and any info they can give you. That way if you want to step back for a few days before making the decision, you'll have all the information in front of you.

Sounds like dd enjoyed her 1st visit--lets hope #2 is as much fun too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back