WAG URGENT- torn ACL, but im fine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

yes.. i agree after yesterday, at practice i felt weak, and knew i couldn't do much, but after my surgery the doctor says that it takes like six months to heal!! ahh
That's even on the low end! It's normally 6-9 months. Mine personally was 6.5 months.

Please stick to conditioning not involving your ACL! I kept tumbling on an injured hamstring and made the injury worse! I could've been back to gymnastics sooner if I hadn't made it worse.

Totally understandable, BUT this is a case where you truly must learn to see beyond the next year (yes, YEAR!) or so and think about the entire rest of your life. Believe me, we all understand how difficult and frustrating it is to serious athletes to be sidelined with injuries but I promise, in the big scheme of things taking 6mo or even longer off to heal an injury isn't the end of the world.
Make sure you get very clear instructions from the doctor on what you can and cannot do, and if possible see a doctor with experience in competitive gymnastics or at the very least other intense youth athletics, as they will have a different understanding on recovery will need to be like for an athlete vs your general teenager.

You won't lose all your strength! You already have a huge advantage going into the surgery because you're strong now. There's no reason you should miss any upper-body conditioning, and once the surgery is done, you'll be able to start PT and strengthening for your quads very soon. As a gymnast, you will recover from this far more quickly than the average person.

Please only do what your doctor allows. After my ACL tear, I had to do pre-hab before surgery. It made all the difference. My physical therapist would freak out if I did ANYTHING other than what was on the prescribed list from my orthopedist. Also, I couldn't contemplate anything that could risk further injury. Like everyone else said, you will need that knee long after you stop doing gymnastics. Take care of yourself. Two months isn't a very long time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back