Parents USAG membership

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ariel

Proud Parent
is anyone else being told that USAG will no longer allow clubs to renew gymnast’s membership and that the parents have to. If so does anyone know why the change?

is anyone else being told that USAG will no longer allow clubs to renew gymnast’s membership and that the parents have to. If so does anyone know why the change?
Just got my email from USAG saying that our club asked them to contact us with the email that has the link to renew. Planning on doing it tomorrow.

No idea why the change happened.

I am guessing it is multi-pronged, but these are all "evil" possiblities:
1. To make sure parents are involved (easier to tell them they HAVE to report issues if they HAVE to be involved).
2. (pure speculation) To make sure the gym can't do anything to cancel a membership if a gymnast changes gyms mid-season ... can't block them from competing for a new gym at a meet they are registered for (because they can remove the gymnast form THEIR roster, but the USAG Number will have still paid, so the gymnast could compete with another team.
3. (pure speculation) To make sure the gym doesn't mess up DOB or Level. If the gym wants to compete a girl at a level she isnt qualified for, they would have to get the PARENTS to lie and list the inappropriate level... so SOMEBODY can be blamed and fined.

Well that stinks. The fee was paid as part of our annual gym membership, but I doubt we will get a refund when we get an email telling us to renew ourselves.

Well that stinks. The fee was paid as part of our annual gym membership, but I doubt we will get a refund when we get an email telling us to renew ourselves.
I would ask if they will give you the refund or at least apply it to some other fee or tuition.

Our gym collected the fee. I think maybe the gym will pay the fee with one payment, but the parents will register. Maybe the same for you? (can you imagine the thousands of individual payments they would receive? :p)

I can’t say I would be very happy with that if I was in the US. Seems crazy to me, what if a parent doesn’t do it, or forgets or doesn’t understand what is required.

Our gym collected the fee. I think maybe the gym will pay the fee with one payment, but the parents will register. Maybe the same for you? (can you imagine the thousands of individual payments they would receive? :p)

Our gym told us to pay the fee when we register, and they would reimburse our parent account.

I registered my dd via the link yesterday. I had to pay the fee right then and there but there was no place for level. I wonder if level gets put in when gyms use the USAG system to register for each meet?

We had to register our own children with British Gymnastics this last season for the first time. The club had an updated list downloaded at any time to see who has paid, once the deadline passed anyone who hadn’t been registered was not allowed to train as they didn’t have insurance. This made the parents suddenly do it!

Our gym distributed the membership application and ask that they are returned to the gym, they plan to pay the fee as in the past.

Our gym originally asked us to do it by filling out the form and added the fee to our lump sum comp fees originally, but last week sent out an email saying they were no longer allowed to do it and parents had to do it themselves, including paying the fee of $59 which would be credited towards next month’s tuition. A few min later I received a separate email from USAG with a link for registration.

The link it sent us to was basically to finish up registration (gym prefilled out most of the info) but there was a lot of legalese to read through and mark that we understand as parents/guardians (such as making sure gymnast is physically and psychologically able to compete, reporting to safesport etc), probably due to all the scandals/issues with USAG.

Our booster club also covered the USAG fees for all members for the first time this year. We will be cutting checks for all members for the $59 to reimburse them for the membership fee. Luckily we only have about 60 members but that will be a lot of checks to write out!!!

Thanks everyone for your input. I got a link emailed as well to renew my daughter’s membership. I have not completed it yet though.

It is part of their new “transparency”. Like many (most?) the USAG membership was handled by the club and baked into our competition fees. Now it is an extra expense. As a coach, I dread the (luckily few!) parents that I am already certain we are going to have to remind several times, and who may still need one of us to actually sit down with them and do it on the gym computer.... but I am sure most parents will be fine. It is just a bit of a paperwork nightmare to ensure it gets done (and I haven’t done my own gymnast yet, so....). It WAS definitely easier for the coaches or whatever administrative person to just sit and do it all en masse, but it’s not our choice...

Like has already been covered, it is a new requirement. We had planned to roll it into BC fees this year for DS's gym and now we won't be able to. It will just be paid by the parents. For DD's gym it is rolled into their fees so the gym is taking $59 off of tuition next month.

I'm almost positive that the fee was only $57 last year. I know it is only a raise of $2; but that comes out to be a serious chunk of money across all of the kids in USAG!

Like has already been covered, it is a new requirement. We had planned to roll it into BC fees this year for DS's gym and now we won't be able to. It will just be paid by the parents. For DD's gym it is rolled into their fees so the gym is taking $59 off of tuition next month.

I'm almost positive that the fee was only $57 last year. I know it is only a raise of $2; but that comes out to be a serious chunk of money across all of the kids in USAG!
Plus, Xcel Gold, Platinum, and Diamond now have to pay for "full" Athlete membership instead of the $27 Introductory Athlete membership.

You should see what the pro membership is up to! :eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back