Coaches Useless REC coaches... Who has them?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

[h=2]Useless REC coaches... Who has them?[/h]
Quick background..

Coach 15 years.. MAG /WAG. Former national team member... coached by Russians... THAT'S ME!

We seem to have an abundance of useless recreational coaches who do nothing constructive with the little ones...(5-8yr olds) They are happy to let them play in the pit and do bad cartwheels. They often have helpers who stand around and do nothing.:mad:

Most were never gymnasts themselves, so, the idea of correct body positioning is a complete mystery to them... I should be happy they are not teaching them bad habits but it still frustrates me.

Before you jump in with "well, the owner should step in" or "maybe you could teach the coaches proper techniques".... I've tried.

The owners are quite happy because the classes are full and the kids/parents are happy. (or don't know any better) They (the owners) believe the REC coaches are doing exactly what's expected of them and that it should be my job to "spot talent" and take the kids that show potential to the next level.

The problem is, when I get them... all they wanna do is play! I say "straddle your legs" they look at me like i just said " 跨越你的 " :confused:

Kids have been at our gym for 2 years and can't do a proper cartwheel or front roll or hit the board with 2 feet. The 11+ beginner class is the worst... They all wanna "do flips" but you've got coaches who have never heard or used the word "SET" or know what "hurdle" means :eek:

Am I wrong?
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Does anyone else have this problem at their gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back