Coaches Warm/Up & Conditioning Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This summer my pre comp group will train 8 hours weekly. 3hrs, 3hrs, and 2hrs on 3 different days.

On the 2 hour day I am thinking of making it a different warmup and strictly conditioning, flexibility day. Then ending the day with few contests/games.

Anyone have a good conditioning program they want to share? I have prepared one I can share too, but was just looking for some really good ideas. Preferably "fun" conditioning, as they are only 5/6

I good one that actually works is set up blocks anad cheese mats and anything around the gym and have them do wheelbarrows throguh it (one partner holds feet) if it doesn't work some of them you can make them do the hopping wheel barrows instead of walking..
Then they can go through the whole thing hopping.
Another fun one is an obstacle course and they walk through it but they aren't allowed to touch the ground otherwise they have to start back at the beginning.

Just let me know if you need anything else.

Not a program, but a few suggestions that I have found to work decently with my girls. I try to turn conditioning into a contest/game if the kids are having a hard time getting into it and mix some "boring" stuff in.
Some of the favorites have been relay races- leap frog, frog jumps, stuff like that down the floor and run back. But it can cause some kids to cheat the skills in an attempt to get done faster, so that's something you need to watch for.
Strength contests are sometimes fun for them, it just depends on the personalities in the group. See who can hold a chin up position, L-hold, wall handstand, wall sit, etc. the longest. Again, you need to keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't getting sloppy or cheating- make sure they know the positions they are expected to keep (if your legs, toes, arms, whatever go below this point you're out or something along those lines).
Jumps on the tumble trak are fun for most of my girls. Frog jumps, tuck jumps, straight jumps, whatever, they just need to keep moving.
Jump roping can also be fun, for a certain amount of time or certain amount of jumps.
That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm looking forward to seeing some more ideas.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back