Weak ankles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Firecracker

What kind of exercises can my daughter do to strengthen her ankles?

Our ballet teacher has our girls do heel raises with a tennis ball between their ankles...making sure they are rolling up from their heels to their toes slowly.

(resistance) You could have her sit down in a pike & point her foot as hard as she can against your hand while you're also pushing against her foot...hold that push for about 20 seconds then let her relax...repeat

walking on her toes!!

Lots of calf raises. Calf raises with weights in hand, backpack (it might change balance), or with a bar.

Hopping on one ball of foot for height and when this is easy, for distance (this is far more intense).

Seated calf raises, weights on top of legs.

Releve hold on both feet, then one foot.

Calf raises with toes turned in and then out (as well as regular calf raises). Jumping side to side (feet together) back and forth over a line/velcro strip.

One exercise given to me by a physical therapist during my dancing days was to stand in parallel, releve, with my ankles together, and then (while staying on tip toes) rock slowly from side to side. This works all the little muscles on the sides of the ankle that sometime get forgotten.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back