WAG What else does your gymmie do at home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnndance

Coach
Proud Parent
Dear Parents, Coaches, Gymnast etc.

First of all - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I have a short question. My daughter is training L7, she actually has all of her skills, just needs to get more consistent. She goes 15 hours a week. Mo-Fri, 3 hours at a time.

Well, in her free time she likes to do pretty normal stuff, hanging out with friends, walking our dog, watching YouTube, painting her nails etc. On weekends we often do family hikes and she sometimes goes to open gym, too.

But I often hear the other moms talking about what else their children do besides gym. Everything from competitive dance, cheerleading, swimming, diving, track, crossfit....

My daughter would never sit still when she used to train 6 hours a week, she constantly did cartwheels around the house etc. But since she goes 15hrs, she seems more relaxed and gym is pretty much the only exercise she gets...

What are your children up to besides gym?

i also have a level 7 (training 20 hours) and she has no other scheduled activities. she's very creative though, so she spends most of her free time crafting- anything from knitting to painting to drawing to weaving to jewelry-making.

I also have a L7, she goes 16 hours a week. She also dances (4 hours a week) and take a strings class an hour a week. Other than that it is school, chores, crafting/drawing, reading.

Level 7 dd here too! She trains 16 hrs/week. Most downtime is dedicated to studying and crafting.

Happy new year to you as well! My L8 has no other scheduled activities other than school and gym. Between eight hours of school, four hours of gym, and sleep, there just isn't time.

At home, she likes to read books, watch tween series (Jessie, Liv & Maddy, etc.), and do social media. She has a couple of pets that she plays with. When it's warm out, she loves being outside jump roping, riding her bike, and stuff like that. She loves having friends spend the night too. We play games, color together, and she loves doing craft and draw.

I like it when she is just being lazy on the couch the best because I think it's good for her to have down time but she can only handle about two days in a row off from gym before she starts to get antsy.

I have a L6 training 21 hours a week (16 hours of practice and 5 hours of an optional conditioning class). She takes language tutoring for fun, but otherwise has no scheduled activities. She loves to skype her friends all around the world, draw, read, watch old tv shows, and play with her sister. That's all there is time for. My L6ish T&T girl trains 8 hours a week (4 practice, 4 open gym), and she sometimes does rec classes, rec artistic classes, dance classes, pottery classes, language lessons, Greek mythology class- and also likes to watch old tv shows, read, and take photos. She's got more free time though. From when my other DD trained between 6-17 hours a week she still had time to dance too. She still wants to, but I can't figure out the timing or the budget, so it's one activity and done for now.

Parent of two L8s here, both of whom are around 20 hours a week. Both spend a lot of time outside of gym keeping up with homework and both are still in religious school, but they have time for some recreation as well. DS does a lot of gaming and DD a lot of art. We also play family games around once a week or so. DS plays trumpet and DD violin.

It will be interesting to see what happens with DD, who will be cutting her hours about in half for a few months due to a back injury. She's already said she wants to start joining me at my gym to work out on the elliptical trainer. She's only been on reduced hours for a few weeks, but she's already getting pretty twitchy. :eek:

Sleep, eat, homework. Really, that is about it. He likes to play video games with his brother, but honetly, with his hours at school and gym, that is about all he has time for. He does like to snowboard, etc, but not a ton of time for that. (13 yo L9)

DD is a L7 (16 hours). She had to give up soccer this year :(.
She's not in any scheduled activities, but she loves reading and is learning to cook. She's also found she enjoys rock climbing (indoor).
However, she's at the age where sleepovers and "play dates" are highlights.

When she gets older, I'll consider vocal lessons.

My DD is a L3 at 14 hours and she has no other activities, but if she's not in the gym she's playing outside. She's only still when she's sleeping.

She's only still when she's sleeping.
This sounds just like Puma Jr! Lol She trains 16 hours a week and over the last couple years as the hours have increased has given up all her other activities (dance, little league and brazilian Jiu-Jitsu). They were all her choice. She is doing chorus at school this year, which happens to fit perfectly into her gym schedule. I was psyched she could try something new! We try to make as much time as possible for sleepovers/play dates/random play time. And it is the constant battle to get her as much sleep as possible.

I'm in the gym 7 hours a week for xcel silver, outside of gym I take an hour long weekly acting class. I would love to be in the gym more hours though :p I must admit, being homeschooled I have much more free time than the average 15 year old! In my free time I like to embroider, attempt to knit, watch YouTube, work on my photography skills, and do a few other artsy things. On non gym days I spend 10-15 minutes going over my beam and floor choreography too as per my coaches request.

DD did pageants for years (I know, I know lol) but she truly loved it. However it was time consuming like gymnastics with practices and coaching, and traveling to the events themselves. It got to be overwhelming for her, and so after sitting down and talking she decided to put that hobby on hold for now, b/c although she loved it, gymnastics is her first love and the most important to her.

Now she has more free time around the house, she still does some tumbling around the house, etc but not as much as she used to, she takes it by spells. She loves to play on her iPad, she plays just dance on the wii a lot, she is an A student so she works a lot at home on studying and homework. Sometimes she likes to go try out the exercise bike. She also enjoys using some of her free time to get out of the house for us to take her to the mall, or amusement kiddie type places, etc.

If she moves up a level next year, she will add an extra day of gymnastics practice so that will definitely cut into her downtime a little.

I'm a very busy level 7. I'm only in the gym 12 hrs/wk but I do quite a few other things. With my school, I do varsity track (about 10 hrs/wk) and compete in math, science, and calculator (6 hrs/wk including at-home assignments). This year I'm also Senior President of Student Council, VP of NHS, Treasurer of Medical Society, and a member of Science and Environmental clubs and Mu Alpha Theta, so I'm always doing something for some club. Outside of school-sanctioned activities, I do piano (theory tests and play in an ensemble at state convention) and serve at my church regularly. I also babysit and work as an assistant ballroom dance instructor. Then of course I do homework (and there's a lot of it!) and sometimes get some sleep ;) I spend the free time I rarely have watching scientific videos (I know I'm a nerd!) or watching Netflix.

L7(16-20hrs) here. When she's home she usually does something crafty, draws or simply plays on her electronics (social media and games with her sister). Homework, obviously, when needed but she manages to get most of that done in school. That's pretty much it.... Last year when she trained 14hrs she added one day of dance because it worked with her schedule and we were at the dance studio anyways (older sister is a dancer, her schedule is as full or worse as gymmie's...). This year she would have liked to keep going to her one or two dance classes/wk but the schedule doesn't work.

DS (9, L5) doesn't have a ton of free time, but when he does, he plays video games and likes to go rock-climbing. Right now, his only regular activity outside of school and gym is chess for an hour/week. He competes in chess tournaments on weekends when it doesn't conflict with meets.

She has no other organised activities. She really wants to do cheer but financially I just can't do it. Gymnastics sends me broke as it is.

Also, she absolutely loves her down time. Gym and school is tiring, it's nice to sit at home sometimes and watch tv or read a book. She also loves catching up with her friends.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back