what is the difference between level 10 and elite?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it depends a lot of what kind of level 10 you are. If you have the highest start values and difficult routines that you score well with and are consistant I think it is easier to make the jump. If do you bare minimum level 10 skills, just to be level 10 there is such a huge difference you won't make it. At that level it is not like all the other levels you don't just do your time and get to move up. And the time, commitment and money you have to put forth is insane. I am really no help in what specific skills you need and such, but I know most elites are good on all aparatus but stand out on a couple and that seems to be okay.

Elite and Level 10 are like apples and oranges scoring wise, but practically speaking, here are some skill goals for a gymnast who was Level 10 and wanted to train for elite.

Bars:
Elites need a D dismount such as a double layout or full in. JO requires a C dismount.
Elites need a 360 turn, uphill release, downhill release and single-rail release. JO does not require all of these.

Beam
Elites need a D dismount such as a double tuck or 2.5. JO requires a C dismount.
Elites need a forward or sideward acro (it's a requirement, not just a composition deduction)
Elites count 5 acro skills and 3 dance skills (more of each than in JO)

Floor
Elites need a D Dismount such as a 2.5 or double tuck/pike. JO requires a C dismount.
Elites count 5 acro and 3 dance skills (more of each than JO)

Regardless of the execution apples/oranges mentioned above, to actually earn an elite score with a sufficient start value, the 5 acro on floor/beam must be mostly Ds and the 3 dance on floor/beam must be mostly Cs. On bars, counting 3 Bs of of the 8 elements would be about the bare minimum.

Additions in bold:

Elite and Level 10 are like apples and oranges scoring wise, but practically speaking, here are some skill goals for a gymnast who was Level 10 and wanted to train for elite.

Bars:
Elites need a D dismount such as a double layout or full in. JO requires a C dismount.
Elites need a 360 turn, uphill release, downhill release and single-rail release.
JO does not require all of these.
Elites will also need two different grips! The difficulty is greatly increased because some of the above are put into one requirement - you will need both a front giant + a 360 turn to even get those 0.5

Beam
Elites need a D dismount such as a double tuck or 2.5. JO requires a C dismount.
Elites need a forward or sideward acro (it's a requirement, not just a composition deduction)
Elites count 5 acro skills and 3 dance skills (more of each than in JO)
They specifically need a leap series, full split leap, flight series with salto and a full turn that's included in the top elements

Floor
Elites need a D Dismount such as a 2.5 or double tuck/pike. JO requires a C dismount.
Elites count 5 acro and 3 dance skills (more of each than JO)
Elites need front and back tumbling, a minimum full twist, a double somi (the latter two being put into one single requirement again), pass with two somis (same as JO), leap series (again, same)
As far as dismounts go: you will typically get the 0.5 for the requirement for a D dismount and 0.3 for a C. There usually are a couple of girls at elite level with C dismounts because if it's not clean the B wont be worth it. Also, execution deductions are WAY higher, so don't be fooled by high bonuses for skill values. Small errors are .1, then it's .3,.5,.8 and 1.0 for a fall. The judging seems to be getting tighter internationally, so it won't be long before we'll see that pattern in the domestic scoring as well (at least I hope so or they'll be infor some bad surprises. Scoring at Euros this year was HARSH!

Additions in bold:

As far as dismounts go: you will typically get the 0.5 for the requirement for a D dismount and 0.3 for a C. There usually are a couple of girls at elite level with C dismounts because if it's not clean the B wont be worth it. Also, execution deductions are WAY higher, so don't be fooled by high bonuses for skill values. Small errors are .1, then it's .3,.5,.8 and 1.0 for a fall. The judging seems to be getting tighter internationally, so it won't be long before we'll see that pattern in the domestic scoring as well (at least I hope so or they'll be infor some bad surprises. Scoring at Euros this year was HARSH!

Did you think it was harsh. People I knew here (uk) seemed to think it was quite accurate and as expected.

I think optionals at least needs to move to FIG requirements and scoring. I think it is weird the way you can change the height of the bars and vault in JO. And the 10 has had its day.

I thought it was harsh, but I loved it.

Looking at some score breakdowns they were really picky, but I loved the turnout, because it really made a difference between the average and the exceptional (relatively speaking, of course)

This is interesting to me since there's a 14-yr-old at my gym who'll be competing L10 in the spring and I always watch elite routines and think "She can do that.", though obviously not on every event and not all the skills. I always wonder if elite would be a goal for her or if she'll go the NCAA route...one thing that suggests maybe not elite for our girls right now is that none of them train double salts on floor...there are some drills for them but not many...I do wonder though. It would be pretty awesome especially since we've had plenty of NCAA but never an elite from this gym!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back