What makes a gymnast naturally talented?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all! :)

Lately this question just popped in my mind and no other websites don't seem to have the answer so I thought I
just ask it here and see what comes up. I'm a bit confused on what would make you a naturally talented as a gymnast. Like for instance some gymnast get skills easily and move up quickly, some come in first place in all their meets, and some have the body type of a gymnast small,fast,agile, and sometimes muscular, some are extremely flexible, and ect ect. Would having any of the following of these would mean your naturally talented? Or would having all of these mean your naturally talented? Or is naturally talented something else? Thanks for all your feedback. Hope the mentioning of the body type wont start anything controversial or offend anyone.

No matter how "naturally talented" a kid is, if they have a poor work ethic and no drive it's for naught. Natural talent is lucking out with the vestibular system.

Well I think that "naturally Talented" and what that means is as different as there are coaches that coach the kids and parents that watch the kids. Everyone has their own vision of what that means. Sort of like saying "a normal kid". Just what is normal?

I think my DD has natural talent as she has natural grace and performance for this sport, there is a girl on her team that can tumble like crazy but no grace, yet another girl is a wiz on the vault but stick her on bars and boy she has to work hard. I think that natural talent is the desire to want to do well and keep trying no matter how long it takes to get there.

As others have stated, "natural talent" means nothing if there is no work ethic backing it up. I have seen many "naturally talented" girls quit once they moved onto optionals and skills got harder and required WORK and TIME.

"Naturally talented" means being able to do things with little or no training.

Just as everyone has said..."natural talent" doesn't go far without "work ethic".

there is a girl on her team that can tumble like crazy but no grace

I think you're talking about my DD lol.

I think the thing about gymnastics is that it's such a multidimensional sport, to truly have a "naturally talented" kid is difficult. My DD was 4' 9" when she was competing competitively. She wasn't really thin for her height either and she was a power tumbler. In L10 and while applying for college she was one of the few girls with a E level skills. Would this be natural talent? Maybe. But also her inner ear problems made her beam the bare minimums and her bars lacked grace.

Other girls have the grace and talent on bars but can't get what they need for vault. Etc. Etc. Some girls have one of the "perfect builds" and great body awareness. However they lack the discipline and work ethnic you need. Some gymnasts have the latter but the poor darlings won't get past a certain level because of problems with skills. But yet all those girls have "natural talent" as they have an innate skill that's necessary for gymnastics.

I have yet to see a girl with the 100% complete and total package so until then I'll think all gymnasts who have been able to be competitive at their own way on team are "naturally talented", after all almost all of them have one or two of the attributes you'd consider make natural talent. In the long run though it's hard work and determination that will get you the furthest! That's for sure. Hope that makes sense!

I think that natural talent is the desire to want to do well and keep trying no matter how long it takes to get there

Well said!!

"Naturally talented" means being able to do things with little or no training.

I think the difference between naturally talented and not naturally talented was obvious to me when I saw all of the neighborhood girls doing gymnastics on the front lawn in our neighborhood many years ago. My dd at the time who was about 6 or 7 had never had a gymnastics class. A bunch of the other girls hadn't either, but several of the girls had been in gymnastics classes for several years already. Most of the girls were struggling to do very mediocre cartwheels, couldn't do anything near a decent handstand or a decent roundoff. My dd, who liked to just tumble around the yard by herself (without my encouragement or help) taught herself to do front walkovers and front limbers, handstands, cartwheels, roundoffs, bridge kickovers, etc. The neighbor moms thought she had been in gymastics for years. That was the day that I really realized how naturally talented she was and that she probably belonged in gymnastics.

Last edited by a moderator:
no matter how "naturally talented" a kid is, if they have a poor work ethic and no drive it's for naught. Natural talent is lucking out with the vestibular system.

preach!:)............................................

AND FINALLY...BIOLOGY. PURE, UNADULTERATED HUMAN BIOLOGY. without this...:)

Please watch this video, starting from 9:01....

"The saddest part is, that Susie is a reasonably talented athlete...." 9:19 "There are a dozen girls on this team who would gladly trade all their Justin beiber posters just to have Susie's talent, because they know with her talent and their work ethic, they would be unstoppable"

Bahahaha....the quote basically ends the thread

YouTube - ‪When Will My Susie Start Kipping?‬‏

Naturally talented means naturally athletic and flexible and in gymnastics I think it also means a smaller person. Yes there are exceptions and yes work ethic is mandatory to make it to the upper levels. But if a kid is naturally talented they simply won't have to work as hard to learn some skills. Our gym has several girls who are 8-9 and have only been in gymnastics a year or two and are clearly naturally talented. They learn new skills extremely fast with great form because they are simply great athletes. They might or might not become great gymnasts, but they ARE naturally talented.

A Romanian Olympic gold medalist described her process of becoming a gymnast as a child to me. She said the gymnastics coaches came to evaluate the kids at 5 or 6. They didn't care if the kid already was cartwheeling, kipping, doing back walkovers etc. They simply wanted kids that were fast, strong, flexible and coordinated, naturally talented. Then they wanted to see the parents to make sure the child wouldn't get to large. And from that group they would develop gymnasts. My guess is that the most talented might not always make it to the elite level becasue of work ethic and desire. BUT, the athletic ability of the child will limit how far and quickly they can progress in gymnastics.

preach...human biology=natural talent=athletic abilities ^^^:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back