What to do about dinner?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi guys, I'm somewhat new, so consider this my big hello to all! :D

My current dilemma is that my practice times (3x a week) go from either 7:30-9:30pm or 8pm-10pm. In order to make it in time to the gym I have to leave one hour early, so subtract an extra hour off the start time and add another hour to the end time and what's left isn't much time for food.

It's only been like this for two weeks so far, and I have ended up having a small dinner of my own at 5pm-ish and then a snack after practice if I'm not totally shattered and needing to crawl into bed :rolleyes:!!

What I'm asking is, what would be a good food to eat for dinner before practice that isn't too 'heavy' and enough to get me through? All I can think of is tuna and rice. Because I lack imagination apparently! Any bars or things like that that would be good?

Any help MUCH appreciated, thank you!!!

Families often have to reschedule their lives a little to allow for a gymnasts schedule. It would seem ideal if your family sat down to their main dinner meal a little earlier together say 5:30-6:00PM on your training days if this is possible for them.

Rice is good, so is pasta. You should be eating something with complex carbohydrates to give you enough energy to burn for your intense workouts. Good foods include, rice, pasta, spaghetti, potatoes, porridge, corn, peas, beans, breads, bagels etc.

Then a small supper when you get home like toast, fruit, yoghurt, rice crackers etc.

Peanut butter is also very good for you. It helps give you more energy so eat a peanut butter sandwich in the car on the way there. It is very light but great for you.

You may also want to consider bringing a banana or a granola bar to practice to eat mid-workout if you are allowed to take a 5 or 10 minute break.

I have that same issue, leaving the house at 4:30 and returning at 9:30. I usually eat a yogurt and small snack before practice, and when I get home I eat the dinner my mom cooked and served while I was at practice. I also usually bring a snack to the gym, which I eat quickly in between an event. Usually a granola bar, a little popcorn, or fruit like an apple, orange, or banana does the trick! Hope I helped :)

Families often have to reschedule their lives a little to allow for a gymnasts schedule. It would seem ideal if your family sat down to their main dinner meal a little earlier together say 5:30-6:00PM on your training days if this is possible for them.
What Aussie_coach said here makes lot of sense. Consider yourself lucky that your start times line up with the end of what many consider as normal dinner time.

Rice is good, so is pasta. You should be eating something with complex carbohydrates to give you enough energy to burn for your intense workouts. Good foods include, rice, pasta, spaghetti, potatoes, porridge, corn, peas, beans, breads, bagels etc.

Then a small supper when you get home like toast, fruit, yoghurt, rice crackers etc.
Yup, all that! Stay light on grease and cheese though before practice.

I totally agree with setting the "family dinner time" a bit earlier. My kids are starving after school, so sometimes my dad will fix them "dinner" at around 4pm. I'll eat something when I get home from driving her to practice, and usually we will all have another light dinner (some cereal, pasta, frozen yogurt or quick bread) when we get home from practice around 9pm. My kids are grazers anyway--they usually eat about 5 or 6 small meals throughtout the day and night. Sometimes I think my 8 YO son is ALWAYS eating--literally!!!!

I practiced from 4-9ish when I was growing up and now I start coaching team at 5:30 but don't get back from the gym until 11 during the year. So I'm kind of warped. I just eat something light before. I sometimes eat after depending on the time. Maybe bring a banana to eat before going home.

But the worse thing for me is with my sleeping schedule. When I don't get home until 11 and I was doing active stuff, I can't fall asleep for hours. I'm naturally a night person so the lack of winding down pretty much ruins me.

We have the same issue we have to leave the houses at 4pm for a 4:30 - 8:30 practice and by the time we get home its after 9pm. Usually my Dd will have a small salad with some chicken (her favorite is Chicken cesar salad). She may bring it with her and eat in the car on the drive over or save it for break time (but on hot days like this she usually will take advantage of the pool swim time). When she comes home at 9pm that is when she will have another small meal. WE have also made the "Lunch" meal the "Big dinner type"meal for the day with a meal more like a sandwich for the evening meal. I am diabetic that controls with diet and that actually helps control the blood sugar so much better for me. Since Iam the mom the house is on my schedule and menu.

We have found that 5 or 6 small meals a day works best so she isn't really starved at any given time of the day. From a nutritional stand point she also takes a "Teen Girl One A Day" multi vitamin (Dr suggested this one). She doesn't like milk at all so she need to suppliment that with the multi vitamin. Dr said this way because of the varied eating schedule we are sure she is getting all the vitamins and minirals she needs to be healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually eat practice early before or late after but I don't have to eat with my whole family so it doesn't matter for me. If this doesn't work for you, get a healthy take out dinner, like maybe a salad, on the way to practice or just get a snack for practice and be sure you eat lots of other nutrients during the day

Wow thanks everyone for your great suggestions! It really does help me, I lack in the 'logical thinking' department.

You guys are awesome, thanks a bunch! :D

I once ate a big breakfast before morning practice. I ended up wearing that breakfast, so whatever you do, don't eat too much! I like the idea of making lunch the big meal of the day.

Ohhh no! How awful! I couldn't even imagine... oh man... that sucks :(

You make an excellent point though - keep the lunch bigger and smaller things from then on. Good idea.

Our favorite pre-workout meal is a bean and cheese burrito because it is quick to make and eat and has a good mix of protiens and carbs.

Oh yum! What a perfect meal. Quick, simple, a perfect mix of protein and carbs, AND delicious. Thanks for sharing that, Pickle's Mom! I'll definitely try that after the next grocery shop :)

I do a variation on the bean and cheese burrito idea sometimes, but no tortilla--I just mix brown rice, black beans, and cheese in a bowl, microwave, then add salsa and a little sour cream. Very filling and fairly nutritious.

Another quick idea is a can of garbanzo beans (chick peas, rinsed), a can of italian-style diced tomatoes, and 2/3 cup instant rice (uncooked). Heat in a saucepan 2-3 minutes covered, then about 5 uncovered. I like to add feta cheese to it in my own bowl.

i practice from 4 to 7 during the school year and i eat ''dinner'' when i get home from school at around 3! lol. normally i have pasta, because it's not too heavy, but it will be enough for my whole practice. then i just eat a snack after gym. sometimes it gets crazy because it feels like i'm never eating a real dinner, so i just try to find things that are quick and easy to make.

My DD had this issue too, and we just recently solved it. Her practices are either 3:30-8:30 for the longest, or 5:00-8:30 for the shortest. Before practices, we have learned to give her very light snacks, with mostly carbs. She usually has applesauce, and if she is still hungry, then a granola bar. During practice she snacks on trail mix. After practice, she eats dinner of proteins and veggies. This has really made a difference in her workout.

We used to have a family meal at 4:00, but then she was too busy digesting that food instead of working out. So now, on the days she has later workouts, we still have family meal times at 4:00, except she only has her pre-workout snacks, while the rest of us eat our meals. She does have to eat dinner by herself a lot, but someone always at least sits with her. I hope this helps.

MamaofEnS

Thank you B gymnast, CreateMagic and MamaofEnS! Those suggestions are all very helpful indeed :) Much much appreciated.

It's great to have all these different ideas to try out and see which one works the best. Otherwise I'd still be scratching my head trying to google my way to a solution! This site is better than google could EVER be for gymnastics advice. I love it :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back