Parents What to do coach wants child at gym at 2 and school doesn't end till 2:37

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a really hard time with art, music, and computer time and even recess being categorized as "nonsense and distractions." If Kyla Ross can attend traditional schooling and go to the Olympics, I don't see why it can't be done. I also have a hard time that there's no "learning challenged" students in this group of athletes. So you only get accommodations for athletic endeavors if you aren't dyslexic or need other additional support. I'm honestly shocked there's a public school system that can afford to get away with this, both from a monetary standpoint and that they haven't been challenged on it. I'm sure there are plenty of high performing athletes that have learning disabilities that would love to take part in the added schedule flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes an issue.

That kind of coaching is not available everywhere. I'm also skeptical that there are many elite level gymnasts doing a non-modified school schedule, even though they may attend traditional schools. I know people like to throw out the example of Shawn Johnson. She was basically getting quite a bit of 1:1 coaching from Chow (unless I'm misinformed), so again, not a good example. I have heard so many stories about athletes going early in the morning before school hours, getting permission to leave early, etc.

I don't think art, music, etc are nonsense and distractions by any means, but school is not the only place to get this. At the end of the day, it is up to the family to provide a well-rounded, balanced life for the child.

I'm not really sure what learning disabilities has to do with homeschooling or checking out early?? That is a completely separate issue. Students with learning disabilities should still be able to get IEPs and 504s (accommodations) either way.

Public schools, They serve the public as in the masses/ majority.

There is only so much customizing they can do (and yes they can do better).

It is not a system that lends itself to individual needs.
When you provide a service for that many kids there needs to rules, start times, end times.

And needs change with the community at times. Full day Kindy and PreK is probably more about working parents then the need to have kids in school all day.

If you are looking for a custom fit, odds are you are not going to find it in a public school, with rare exception.
Agree. Although there are some public schools that will allow modified school schedules provided the child is meeting the state standards for attendance. But yeah, it's more of a one-sized fits all system.

I have a really hard time with art, music, and computer time and even recess being categorized as "nonsense and distractions." If Kyla Ross can attend traditional schooling and go to the Olympics, I don't see why it can't be done. I also have a hard time that there's no "learning challenged" students in this group of athletes. So you only get accommodations for athletic endeavors if you aren't dyslexic or need other additional support. I'm honestly shocked there's a public school system that can afford to get away with this, both from a monetary standpoint and that they haven't been challenged on it. I'm sure there are plenty of high performing athletes that have learning disabilities that would love to take part in the added schedule flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes an issue.

Ugh I had written a huge reply to this and lost it all.

Maybe I will be more concise in my second reply.

The nonsense and distractions I was referring to do include recess, library time, computer lab, and basically all the extra time it takes for teachers to actually teach a lesson in a traditional classroom. When you have double the number of students in a classroom, the actual process of teaching a math class does take an hour and a half, compared to 42 minutes. All the reviews, questions, extra help that would go on in a traditional class, plus then you also have to take into account behaviour kids, it all adds up.

Plus phys Ed is graded by the coaches, and the full art and music curriculum is included. It just takes less time to teach and cover everything with half the kids and all kids motivated to maintain their grades. If they don't, they don't remain in the program.

Any child with any learning challenge is welcome in this program, as long as they are able to maintain the pace of learning and marks required, to remain in the program.

The other point to consider is that there are several specific programs in my area offered to kids. Specialized programs in the arts, technology, science, IB, etc. are all available but marks need to be achieved and maintained to remain in them.

If a student needs accommodations to do so they sure can utilize them, as long as the integrity of the program is retained. There are lots of students who might need help but for whatever reason their parents don't make sure they get it so they struggle. There are lots of students with behaviour problems unaddressed and unmanaged who also wouldn't be a fit. Heck, one instance of my dd having an off day and making one comment out of character and i had an email and phone conference with the teacher and program head.

Also, schools are way more accommodating to flexible schedule needs here in Canada than they seem to be in the USA. Parents take their kids out for weeks at a time to travel and it is fully supported. Any absence approved by parents is an approved absence.

I hope you know i was never intending to be discriminatory towards kids with learning disabilities or imply that the program is.

I hope this explains what I meant a little better.

In our limited experience with elite training, all the girls did a modified traditional/online school program. No one was totally homeschooled and no one went completely to a traditional school, even in high school.

It was a lot easier getting a high school to let the girls out early than it was for elementary/middle school. There we ran up against state mandated attendance minutes. If the child wasn't there for the mandatory morning and afternoon minutes, the school didn't get state aid. So taking them out a half hour early impacted the school budget.

It was a lot easier getting a high school to let the girls out early than it was for elementary/middle school. There we ran up against state mandated attendance minutes. If the child wasn't there for the mandatory morning and afternoon minutes, the school didn't get state aid. So taking them out a half hour early impacted the school budget.

High school is easier because depending on course load there can be free periods/study halls.

Lots of kids around here can arrange their schedules for a late start if they are staying after for sports. Or early departure for a job or commitments elsewhere like gymnastics.

Odd regarding state aid. Can only speak to NY, but partial days count. I don't remember if it is 2 or 4 hours though. That's why we have all those 2 hour delays vs closings for weather. So we don't lose aid.

High school is easier because depending on course load there can be free periods/study halls.

Lots of kids around here can arrange their schedules for a late start if they are staying after for sports. Or early departure for a job or commitments elsewhere like gymnastics.

Odd regarding state aid. Can only speak to NY, but partial days count. I don't remember if it is 2 or 4 hours though. That's why we have all those 2 hour delays vs closings for weather. So we don't lose aid.

We were told out here that more than thirty minutes and they are absent. That's at the beginning or the end of the day. More than five minutes on either end and they are tardy. Three tardies was an absence as well.

We were told out here that more than thirty minutes and they are absent. That's at the beginning or the end of the day. More than five minutes on either end and they are tardy. Three tardies was an absence as well.
Not here.

Kids get pulled a lot for orthodontist/dental stuff. Impossible to find an orthodontist or dentist that works after 4 and before 9. Its nearly impossible.

Not here.

Kids get pulled a lot for orthodontist/dental stuff. Impossible to find an orthodontist or dentist that works after 4 and before 9. Its nearly impossible.
Oh here too. Medical/dental etc appointments are absences, but excused. There isn't a problem with excused absences till you get over fifteen, I believe.

Every high school I can think of around here - public and private - allows for early release of its own teams' athletes for traveling to 'away' sports games...as early as 2 hours before regular dismissal multiple times a week for an entire season...which suggests to me that the flexibility of early release doesn't seem to prevent kids from meeting or exceeding academic expectations of the schools.

Don't get me started on the fact that our school district's very highly rated public middle school won't release a kid from PE for outside sports (or even to go to the library instead of PE)... yet in parsing the school day, I found my oldest child's claim that she spent less than 50% of the average school day there in a productive learning environment to be true. She left that school.

My other middle schooler (the gymnast) is at a small catholic school where I can at least have the honest conversation with her teacher about 'what will she miss if I pull her out x day and x day 15 minutes early for gym'; and for the last two years, her teachers have said 'she's not missing a thing but packing up...I don't teach new material after 2:30...your daughter knows her stuff...take her early!'

I'd argue that many athletes like my dd- disciplined, focused, self-motivated to make sure she's on top of school because academics come before gym, etc. - are the ones who could most benefit from not being forced to keep their warm body in the seat for the sake of the bell at the day's end...my dd would rather be in the car doing homework than trying to drowned out the noise of the 50% of the class who spend the last 15 minutes of the day chit chatting and figuring out what books to bring home...

Our high school does not allow early release in a regular basis. The hs schedule is so crazy--there are 4 morning classes that rotate daily and 4 afternoon classes that rotate daily. So what is first period Monday am is just before lunch by Thursday. What is last period on Monday will be right after lunch on Tuesday. Plus it is an 8 day schedule. So first Monday is day 1, the next Monday would be day 6.

You need a degree to decipher their schedule.

Here, it is distance related. Elementary school if you live more than a mile from the school, middle school, 1.5 miles, high school, 2 miles. We live across the interstate, so my boys get busing. But not at the driveway. They walk to the bust stop.
Our school growing up was rural... but we lived in a small town. There were 8 bus stops "in town" but the bus driver had to go right past our house on her way out of town to start the route, so she picked us up across the street.
I graduated with a guy who lived right across from the high school football field... HE got bused because the road he would have had to cross was affectionately known as "Suicide Alley" ... a US Highway with only 2 lanes and lots of semi traffic. His house was sandwiched between 2 roads, so he got picked up on the county road side.
At the stop sign that the busses on the south side of the district had to cross to get to the school, there were several accidents over the years. It eventually led to them adding a "caution" light - which didn't help :(

Beyond managing the training schedule, the other issue that many folks have lamented about is absences for meets or development camp if a gymnast is on the elite path. Public schools in my area count those all as "unexcused absences" so it can become problematic quickly. If on the Elite path, I have no idea how you'd manage going to a traditional school.

From our elementary school:
*School begins at 8:00am.

*Students can begin coming into the school building at 7:00 (but they have to sit in the cafeteria)

*Students who eat breakfast at school will begin eating breakfast at 7:40.

*Students are tardy at 8:01 (3 tardies = 1 full absence) ... I have been told that the same applies to anyone who leaves 1 - 29 minutes early.

*Students will only be counted as attending a 1/2 day if...
1. They arrive after 8:30 am
2. They leave before 2:30 pm

*Students are dismissed at 3:00 pm

So 30 minutes in one day is a 1/2 day absence... but 3 minutes over 3 days is a full day absence.
87 minutes spread evenly over 3 days in a 9 week period = 1 absence.
60 minutes s spread evenly over 2 days = 1 absence.
I would hold off the extra minute, lol and get 3 days out of the deal :)

I feel very fortunate that our elementary school is quite flexible. Last year when DD was rehabing her arm she left every day during lunch/ specials and went to PT. She returned after. This year she is dismissed 15 min early (its just pack up time) and is excused from PE. I just had a five minute chat with our principal who was happy to work with us. She does attend a small private school- our public school wouldn't help anyone who wanted anything unless they were on a school team. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back