Parents What's your child's goal and when did they make some?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Also wanted to add my reply. My daughter who is 6 will tell you that her dream is to go to the Olympics. I think a lot of had to do with going to the same gym as Shawn Johnson and seeing her on T.V. and in practice and how hard she works and what she has accomplished. My daughter thinks it is so cool everything that Shawn gets to do. She says she wants to be just like Shawn. LOL. (Of course this is a long shot but I will let her work for what she wants. She is still young so a lot can change.)

If this is truely what your daughter wants is to go to Chow's this is what you have to do to get them to contact you.

All candidates must first send a video of current performance along with gymnast's competition results directly to the gym at:

2010 Chow's Gymnastics & Dance Institute
2210 Park Drive West Des Moines, IA 50265
Upon selection, you will be notified to make arrangements for a personal try-out or evaluation.

Totally not an option. LOL!! I just thought it was hysterical that she took it upon herself to Email them. She totally did this on the sly. A month later she told me what she had done and was stunned that she had not heard back. She is just a nutty kid :)

We are quite happy in SC and moving to another state for Gymnastics is not something that I would ever consider. Heck, in a year she will be in middle school and she may decide she want to be a cheer leader. <VBG>

Non-Gymnastics Goals

I also wanted to add some non-gymnastics related goals of dd. Her ballet goal was to start training en pointe in the fall (which she will be able to do--she just got the approval of the ballet teacher :).) And another goal is to be a fashion designer when she grows up :D.

Her ballet goal was to start training en pointe in the fall (which she will be able to do--she just got the approval of the ballet teacher :).)

That is awesome. Congrats!!! :)

Totally not an option. LOL!! I just thought it was hysterical that she took it upon herself to Email them. She totally did this on the sly. A month later she told me what she had done and was stunned that she had not heard back. She is just a nutty kid :)

We are quite happy in SC and moving to another state for Gymnastics is not something that I would ever consider. Heck, in a year she will be in middle school and she may decide she want to be a cheer leader. <VBG>

LOL. Just thought I would throw that out there. We got close with one of the girls on team that was moving from Colorado to Iowa. Her daughter just made the Chow's team and they commute back and forth because they haven't sold the house in Colorado yet. It's crazy what we as parents do for our children. I would never in my right mind have the money to do all that but ya know. LOL.

Ooh I like this one. I am really big on goals and Midget and I have had lots of talks about it. Some of them funnier than others, I mean she is only 7 after all.

Short Term Goals:

Front Hip Circle
Kip
Back Tuck
Punch Front
Go to the Chicago American Girl store (My favorite)
Ride all the big roller coasters in Orlando when we go in December

Medium Goals:

Get to Optionals

Long Term Goals

Go to the Olympics so she can be on TV (that is motivation!) ;)
College gymnastics on an SEC team

My goals for her:

Learn that hard work pays off
Know that it is OK to dream, it helps you know what to reach for
Learn that the only way to fail is to not try
Learn that Kentucky is the best SEC team ;)

We got close with one of the girls on team that was moving from Colorado to Iowa. Her daughter just made the Chow's team and they commute back and forth because they haven't sold the house in Colorado yet. It's crazy what we as parents do for our children. I would never in my right mind have the money to do all that but ya know. LOL

To think that I complain about havnig to drive 45 minutes each way (without traffic) LOL!! I will have to remember that commute the next time I am having a minor melt about the drive and all the tourist traffic that we deal with in the summer. :)

Learn that Kentucky is the best SEC team ;)

I may know a certain someone that may disagree with that :)

Very nice goals. I especially like the one about riding the big roller coasters.

Her goal used to be to make it to L7. Since she got to compete in a L7 meet this spring, she has revised her goal and it is now L8 Regionals - she wants to get a leo out of it! She figures she had at least 5 years to make that, and if she does, she will revise it. She'd love to do college, but is thinking of a club team because these goals come after her goal of maintaining straight A's and become a vet. Those are her priorities. She alreadys had undergrad and grad schools picked out!

DD's new gym they have daily goals that they work on when they go to that event to practice. her short term goal is to compete all L7 events this year and maybe move up to L8 (she just turned 13).

My Olympic dream for her is hopfully to get some type of college scholarship down the road.

Her long term goal isn't that long. She came home last night after feeling good about some L8 skills she was practicing and said "Wouldn't it be great if I could compete L8 this season and get 1st place and beat my old gym. Then I could go over to my old coaches and tell them See, Look at what you missed out on" I have to say that attitude did surprise me but she is really so much happier at the new gym after a month and she really has a drive to get to L8.

For me I am happy with her at L7 for now but Hubby and I also secretly hope at L7 meets this year she blows her old team out of the water too. LOL

She is thinking too of next year and possibly adding in High School gymnastics when she starts High School in 2011. And with her big brother going off to college she has come to many of the college visits and is thinking about college for herself, what she might want to do and has seen that colleges have gymnastics too. She has started this past season watching the college gymnastics on TV and going to UNH's meets (they aren't too far from the house).

Last edited by a moderator:
Olivia has actually told me she does not want to do college gymnastics. That may change some day but who knows. Her short term goals are to get her back tuck every time!! and to get her front handspring/front tuck. She also wants to become a Level 7 so she can do her own routines. She's already gotten her music picked out and approved, just another 'wait and see' moment.

Her long-term goals are to either be a doctor or someone famous! She watches a lot of Disney shows and says if those kids can do it why can't I? :cool:

My dd (8yo) desperately wants to be a Level 7 next year and get her own floor routine and music. To do this, she needs her giant and layout flyaway so those are also her goals. She has no thoughts about college gym or the Olympics. Those things just seem too far away or out of reach for her. She is not a long range planner!

Rylee {4y/o} has a goal of BEING Shawn Johnson. She actually tells us this everyday. When she broke her elbow she asked her doctor if she would still be able to be Shawn Johnson. LOL! Of course, he said to her "Yeah of course you can sweetie" and then he looked at me and was like, "Wow... she knows who Shawn Johnson is and she's FOUR". I was like, "Yeah seriously, I really mean it when I say she is OBSESSED with gymnastics"! LOL! Just recently she asked me how old she would need to be so she could be Shawn Johnson and I said, "I don't know, old enough to be able to do everything she does" and Rylee said, "okay then... when I'm 9 I'll be Shawn Johnson"! Haha! Obviously, she doesn't understand it all ;) But she is very determined. She loves to sit and watch Shawn on youtube... it's so funny to have your 4y/o say, "Can we watch Shawn Johnson on youtube for a little bit"! Haha!!! She loves doing gymnastics, she loves watching it, she just loves everything about it!!

Getting her round off back handspring is definitely something she REALLY wants!! She's SO ready to be able to do it by herself. Before she broke her elbow she was hoping to have it before it got cold again (basically, by the end of summer). Now she hopes to be doing it before Halloween (she really just wants to get it while she's still four... lol)! She also wants to be able to do ALL the level 4 skills and routines so she can go to the team. However, being 4, she won't be able to compete for another year and a half at this point. But it's nice to have goals (and she's just a few skills away and basically already knows the level 4 floor routine).

Alexis {7y/o} ... she just wants to get back into the gym. Last week she was diagnosed with very mild scoliosis (we had taken her to the chiro because she hurt her hip... he diagnosed her with scoliosis and said he would do treatments to cure it... as of yesterday he said no gym or ANY activity for 6 months. Seeing a doctor today and after lots of research... I don't see any reason she should stop gymnastics because of her scoliosis... so hopefully she'll be back into the gym soon)!

Once she is back into the gym her goal is to get her front hip circle, perfect all level 4 skills and routines and start working on level 5 skills. She also REALLY wants to be able to do a standing back tuck (I would say that's a number one goal... she's excited to do that!).

My dd is too young to really have a goal. As the OP stated about her dd, mine is also very in the moment as well. I sort of wish she had a goal of some sort because I think it would focus her a little more, but I understand that she is only 7. However, over the weekend she did make her first comment about wanting to be like another gymnast. She goes to the same gym as one of the best US gymnasts and over the weekend she watched her compete (via streaming, not live) and now she has declared that she wants to be just like her! So, hopefully an older gymnast to look up to will help her focus a little more.

Beetle's Short Term Goal is to get her Flight Series on High beam with no Mats. Then she will be a L9 this year! (dealing with fear issues).

Long term - Basically she wants to do 2 years of L9 then 2 years of L10. With College Scholarship as a High goal.

But then at the same time she likes the idea of Brown University. She thinks its 'cool' that Ivy league schools don't give athletic scholarships. That they only give academic ones. (Great Beetle.. Way to pick out a school that costs more than my house! :)

Of course there is always the 'stay healthy goal'.

Right now she is setting weekly goals toward her flight series.

I just asked my 8 yo what her goals for gymnastics are and she said "To get to level 7 so I can have my own routines and I want to have 'Eye of the Tiger' for my music." I asked her what her short term goals are she said "Compete level 5 this year and get 8s on everything by the end of the season, maybe a 9 on beam."

Funny how kids think sometimes. Her and a teammate who is almost 9 were in the car and my little one asked the friend how old she was. She told her 8 almost 9. My DD said "We grow up so fast." And her friend said, "I know! Just think, soon we will be 13!!" And my DD said, "I hope we are still friends then." Then her friend said "I am sure we will be if we are still in gymnastics. I know I will still be in gymnastics." "Yes, I will still be in gymnastics then," said my DD. "I think we will be like level 6s by then," says her friend. And mine says "No probably level 7s, or 8s or maybe even level 9s!" They are too cute. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back