WAG Whole point in deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
My dd had a meet last week. She always score 9.2 or 9.4 on beam. Yesterday she repeated a skill and scored 8.5. I looked about deductions, and repeated skill is only 2/10th is a point. Is this right? Everything else in the routine was done right. This is the same judge that judges
Her about 2
Weeks ago and gave her 8.6 on vault when she always gets 9.40 or 9.3. She went last to go on these events, I don't know if that would signal the judge anything. But a whole point in deductions? Other judges doesn't see these deductions she's been giving my dd. I don't want to think that this judge have anything against my dd because she doesn't really know her.

If you're willing to post a video, I'm sure some of the coaches and judges on here would be happy to tell you where she is getting deductions.

I guess my question regarding this judge would be - is she scoring hard on all the gymnasts?

Did she do an element, not complete it, then try again? Because you can repeat a "missed" element with no penalty (beyond whatever deductions there were from the fall or whatever prevented the completion of the element). Or did she just do an element twice? That would be a .3 deduction for adding an element (even something as simple as an extra kick into a handstand or cartwheel). So that, combined with a judge who is a bit pickier about small details, could absolutely result in a much lower score.
Some judges just look for different things or are more tuned in to certain aspects of the routine. If this particular was tough a few weeks ago, I'm guessing she's just a stickler in general for little details, and as long as she's tough across the board, it's not a problem. You can just see it as an opportunity for your DD and her coaches to focus in on those little details in her routines.
If it was just your DD or only her team, then it's an opportunity to see if perhaps there are some text errors in the routine (incorrect position of arms/legs/feet)- little things that can add up. I was just reading something about how judges are being encouraged to really pay attention to those little details, even if it does seem nit picky.
But it's hard to say without seeing the actual routine.

What level is this? Is it Complsory? Try not to take fluctuations in scores too hard. As far as repeating the skill if its a Jude taking max deductions it could be a big deduction. Not only did she repeat the skill she changed the routine and I am not sure but they may be able to take form and text deductions off both attempts at the skill. It can add up. Again, there's always another meet- whether it's next week or next season-- its best to just chalk it up to a "funny" moment where DD forgot her routine and really try not to worry about the little intricacies of the judging on this particular beam routine. Sounds Luke she is a gray gymnast and will continue to see lots of success in the future!

You will find that some judges judge harder than others - regardless of the event. It likely has nothing to do with your dd. Little things add up quick and she still got good scores. I imagine every judge has their "thing" that they are sticklers on and maybe something your dd is doing that most judges tend to overlook is something this judge looks for.

As an aside - how in the world do you remember who judged your dd on what event weeks ago? After 7 years of watching my girls compete I am finally starting to recognize some of the judges, but I could never tell you when and what event they judged my child on.

Trying to figure this stuff out will make you crazy. At this point, I don't even start scratching my head unless 1) the score is at least a point different from what I expect AND 2) my child's score is an outlier (i.e., her or his score is a point different and no one else's is). The ordinals are a better way of thinking about it for me, and my fellow team parents will occasionally ask a coach what happened if the ordinals seem way out of whack. Usually there is an explanation -- no credit for a connection or a bonus not given for a boy.

(However, that 9 my daughter got on floor at the last meet? Totally legit! That judge was right on the money, baby!)

I remember this judge because there's only about 4-6 judges that judge each meet every time around here. Lol. The same set of judges every meet, just in different events.

My dd repeated an element twice. She didn't fall. One of her teammates fell and scored higher than her. For almost a full point deductions, her coach and I are confused.

No video. :( I didn't think about it.

It's not uncommon for a girl with a fall (provided she receives credit for the skill) to outscore a girl who stays on the beam but has multiple other deductions. A fall is .5, a repeated skill is .3 PLUS any deductions from the skill itself (both times it is performed)- so easily adding up to a total of .5 or more in deductions.
It sounds like your DD normall has a great routine, I would say just chalk this up to a slightly off day.

As an aside - how in the world do you remember who judged your dd on what event weeks ago? After 7 years of watching my girls compete I am finally starting to recognize some of the judges, but I could never tell you when and what event they judged my child on.
DD knows all the judges in the state, what they look for on each event, and whether she thinks they "like" her. I'd imagine after a few years (15-20 meets), most girls recognize most, if not all, of judges in their home state.

For state meet, lower Lv compulsory, lv 2 to be exact. Do they have only 1 judge per event? I like the idea of two judges panel.

OK, here is an exercise that will help. Take a deep, cleansing breath. Tighten both of your shoulders as much as you can. Then shrug them hard, while saying "that's gymnastics!" After a few years of repetition, you will have mastered this exercise very well.

(I hope my intent is coming through here. Really, this just happens sometimes, all the way from L2 to L10 and beyond. If the coach can't give your daughter any practical corrections out of it, it really is best just to let it go and move on. Trust me, it will happen again, and sometimes it will be in the nicer direction of your daughter getting a high score you can't explain. But if your daughter is usually getting those good scores, she is obviously doing a lot of things right, and that is what matters in the long run!)

Happens all the time, almost every meet, if not to your own DD, then to a teamate. If not a teamate, then you will see a kid on another team get "over-deducted" or "over-scored" - to use my DD's words.

Every meet... It makes parents crazy. Coaches too, but coaches can ask the judges about a score under circumstances. Parents just have to go home. :)

This happened to my daughter this weekend. While ALL the scores seemed low in various areas, we were left shaking our heads at her scores in bars and vault, and even beam, where she fell, but completed everything else really well. Her bar routine was solid and landed with no steps, but she scored behind girls with multiple steps on their landings and nothing else glaring. Her fall on beam was work .5 but her score was almost a point and a half behind her previous meet and she was more solid on all the other elements. Her floor routine was the best I've seen it but all of our scores were extremely low. What made me the most angry was her vault score, because she got the same score as another girl who can barely make it to the mat, yet my daughter does the full handstand to flat back vault. But. As the previous parent said, that's gymnastics. You win some, you lose some.

My bigger issue is that I think our team got looked at by the judges as not very serious because our coaches don't exert any authority and let the older girls mess around and I think we get pre-judged based on that, and honestly I don't blame the judges for that because it looked very unfocused. I'll be talking to the gym director about that and some other major issues we had this past weekend.

DD knows all the judges in the state, what they look for on each event, and whether she thinks they "like" her. I'd imagine after a few years (15-20 meets), most girls recognize most, if not all, of judges in their home state.

DS has much better facial recognition skills than I do. Last year, he recognized one of his judges in his compulsory session as a particularly impressive L10 competitor in the previous night's session.

I've gotten to the point where I do recognize the judges we see repeatedly, but for most of them, I can't link a name to a face. Well, except for the one who really dislikes the way my DD vaults! And I always recognize that guy whose name I don't know who always gives really low scores on bars but the ordinals and the daylight between people seems to make sense. I like him because he posts start values for optionals.

I try not to think too hard about the scores, honestly. It can be crazy-making if you let it.

We do have one "favorite" judge that we recognize because of her distinctive hair style. She happened to be the judge when DD got her first 9 on beam. Unfortunately, she didn't give her a 9 on vault! ;)

OP, is your DD level 2? Please try to let it roll off your shoulders or you'll be a basketcase before she hits optionals!

We also had a meet this weekend where we were all scratching ours heads in regards to all the beam and floor scores ... my DD got 9.15 on beam which comes after her last meet w/ a 9.550! However we had to teach ourselves to shrug it off and realize she still did great overall. It sure is frustrating!

My DH and I disagree about this, but I actually appreciate the judges who take the deductions more by the book. Yes, it will generally lead to lower scores, but once your child is in optionals, s/he will have a better idea of where the bar is at big multistate meets or regionals. And if everyone's getting the same package of more strict deductions, it doesn't affect the ordinals at the end of the day, except insofar as a kid who gets nickeled and dimed for form may place below instead of above a kid who falls (though that can happen even with more lax deductions).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back