Off Topic Why am I not landing my backflip on ground ( I have a video if you need to see it)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Would need to see a video to be sure, but there's a 99% chance the problem has nothing to do with the landing and everything to do with the takeoff

Alright, gonna give two answers here. Here's the tl;dr: 1) You shouldn't try to self-teach this, 2) If you are determined to self-teach it anyway, the best thing would be to focus on a more vertical takeoff and hit full extension in the knees.

First answer in more detail: the biggest problem is that you're training it without a coach or proper equipment. This is both dangerous and inefficient; a qualified coach with good equipment could teach you this skill faster, cleaner, and much more safely than you possibly could on your own. The sorts of injuries you could potentially get form doing this skill can be permanent. I think for both technical and safety reasons, you should stop working this skill at home and try to find a local gym that will let you take lessons with a qualified coach. A gymnastics gym would be ideal, a cheer gym would work in a pinch, even a parkour gym would be better than just chucking it in your back yard.

Second answer in more detail: if you choose to ignore my advice above and continue training this skill on your own (which I do not recommend), it would be safer to know what your problems are and how to fix them. So here is how I would hypothetically try to improve this skill if somebody in one of my classes did that back tuck.
Take your video, slow it down, and try to pause it on the last frame before your feet leave the floor. If we could get this frame looking correct, the entire rest of the skill should fall into place relatively easily.
You'll notice in that frame that your knees are still/already bent; they never hit full extension. For comparison, find a good spot and just jump straight up as high as you can. You'll notice that in the last moment before you leave the ground (if you're jumping efficiently), your knees, hips, and calves all hit maximum extension. This is what gives you an efficient takeoff; using your entire lower body to its fullest extension to push all the way off the ground. And this is the piece that your standing back tuck lacks; you don't fully extend the legs before pulling your knees into a tuck. This means you're not making full use of your leg muscles to propel you off the ground, and thus not using the full power available to you.
So the first thing to focus on would be a more vertical takeoff with knees fully extending and pushing through the ground on takeoff before pulling your tuck. You can focus on lifting your chest towards the ceiling, or on picking your hips up, or on feeling your quadriceps squeeze, or on standing up taller -- these are all different ways of accomplishing the same thing, so experiment with what to focus on and see which one helps it click. If you could take full advantage of the power your legs can provide, you'll be much more likely to land the skill.

(If I were coaching you with trampoline access, we'd also work on head position on takeoff, but one thing at a time. The knee extension on takeoff is the most pressing fix).

Last edited:
You'll notice in that frame that your knees are still/already bent; they never hit full extension.

I agree... jump higher. You can either jump better... or you can get stronger. Either will probably work... I would do both. I would work explosive leg strength and jumping technique.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back