Why the long hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD isn't in a competitive rec group, she's in an 'elite' group. I think if you were reading the post above you might think she's moved across, but I was talking about the potential for her to move across at any time and so we have had to make sure that has been presented as 'not too bad an option'. We talk about moving from 'the dark side' and 'joining them in the light' :p

Oops sorry, I must have misread an earlier post in this thread.

Families being treated badly I totally agree with! Communication is rotten. Texts are not replied to (and I think I've only ever sent two), emails are not replied to - even when they very politely ask if a cheque has been received etc. We are expected to absorb training times changing and cough up for new leos and change plans at late notice because of competitions. DD's old coach used to be easy to talk to at the end of a session and even used to seem to like chatting. New coach scuttles away like her backside is on fire.

Yes I hate the drive but then that's my choice and not their problem!

The gym owns the gymnasts. They love them and support them and the families are just the roadies. If I hadn't heard it many times on hear and know that I am not alone, it would drive me crazy.

The thought of another winter of that is what has driven me to several very ranty posts on here today, for which I apologise.

It's okay. My dd is trying out for another sport tomorrow. If she gets in it will involve a two hour road trip twice a week and it is through some serious mountains. The winter here is very long and very ugly. I have a great car and winter tires, but it is long and stressful. Feel free to rant about the drive to me, I totally get it.

The things we do for our kids......

Viva revolution!

I do worry about the 'bums on seats' issue. I know from other mums that our gym was in danger of closing a few months back. It tied in very closely to the introduction of a novice level. However, I still think it offers my DD her very best shot at WAG.

It's going to be interesting to see how things develop over the next year or so. The whole "novice" route is really untested at our gym (the skill level of some of our novice group is very high....it even has someone who placed at the British tumbling finals and has since moved to WAG). I estimate (and I'm no coach) that DD is working on or towards level 5/4 skills. I guess we are the guinea pigs - only time will tell if they genuinely intend to allow interchange between novice and elite and I guess also whether they find the novice group catching up to those who've been training elite for years. Can the tortoise catch the hare?

Depends how hard that tortoise is prepared to work and how much flexibility that tortoises coach has.

We had a kid who came to visit our gym one summer. She was elite at that point. She started gym at 10, was upstarting within weeks and by the age of 12 was competing at our National Novice level, which is like USAG L10. Some kids just have "it". She also didn't have any significant injuries. BUT at age 14 she quit as it was too much pressure, too many hours and she wanted to be a regular high schooler. She came to our gym for a while and just enjoyed gym at a lower level and then she started coaching at age 16. Super kid she was.

It is totally impossible to "know" how any child will progress. Each kids journey is truly unique with many different factors playing into their success in the gym.

hours
money
parental commitment
coach commitment
progression
skill acquisition
fear
injury
gym changes
coaching changes
school
puberty
health
desire - because without that there is nothing

I havent heard anything from our gym regarding the new levels, however dd is doing National Grades.
I just wanted to throw in, my dd is 12 and doing about 21 hours a week. She is not elite level. However, I am glad that she is at a gym where she can still train hard and have the hours that she wants.
She is passionate about gym and although I have discussed fewer hours, that is not what she wants.
Whilst she is still progressing and injury free I am happy for her to continue.
It has been a dilemma though it is a massive financial and time commitment for us all, and there have been times when I have thought about reducing hours to have a more normal life. As there is no chance of elite. However at the gym she is at she has wonderful opportunities, they compete internationally a couple of times a year and this is across all squads.

Really interesting thread, and I have long thought that the UK system is difficult to understand and should be a lot simpler.

However at the gym she is at she has wonderful opportunities, they compete internationally a couple of times a year and this is across all squads.

That alone is the sign of a gym who has the interests of all it's gymnasts at heart. I can totally understand why you keep her there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back