Will this destroy my chances of making the team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am trying out for my high school gymnastics team and I can do all the skills but can't tumble at all. I'm going to take classes over the summer to be ready for try-outs but I don't know if I'll learn the skills fast enough. Do I HAVE to tumble to make the team?

well, considering you have to have tumble in a floor routine i would say yes, make sure you can do all the other apparatus's aswell

Well.... it depends. A LOT of girls on HS teams do not compete AA. It depends on where the need is for a particular team. For example, my DD HATES to compete floor routines on the mats the HS teams use. She only does floor if someone else can't do it (only 6 girls compete, 4 highest scores count) Now that I've said all of that... it really does depend on how competitives the teams are that your school competes with. Some of the local schools around here have L10 and L9 girls on their teams. Obviously those girls compete AA and not just individual events. Practice all those skills and good luck at tryouts next year!

I don't think that you need to be able to tumble, but I'm sure it'd help your chances a lot if you can at least to some of the stuff. If you don't want to compete floor also, it won't be necessary in HS, but being able to do floor also can help progressions on beam and vault if you want to go further there too.

I'd recommend taking classes to learn as many skills as you can, but don't get worked up if your having a hard time getting it. Tumbling is something that happens with practice, and many many epiphanies!

I'd suggest contacting the coach now and ask her/him. I know our HS team has practice during the summer--maybe you're has the same? In any case, the coach will be able to tell you whether she expects her gymnasts to do AA or not.

I'd suggest contacting the coach now and ask her/him. I know our HS team has practice during the summer--maybe you're has the same? In any case, the coach will be able to tell you whether she expects her gymnasts to do AA or not.

I think Cathiann had great advice. See if you can get in touch with the coach now and go over what you can and can't do. Certainly taking tumbling classes during the summer will help. I know the requirements for making the local hs team here are pretty much L6 skills, but there are some tumbling skills they want to see. As others have said it will vary from team to team.
Good luck---hope things work out for you.

In high school you don't have to compete in everything like in most USAG meets. So, you can not tumble and still make varsity on the other events if you are good enough. Keep working on your tumbling though!!

Do you mean tumble like, any acro skills, cartwheels, forward rolls etc.? Or tumbling PASSES, that include like 3 skills in a row, and back handsprings or whatever? If you at least have cartwheels, dance basics and a desire to learn, you should be fine, at least that's what goes on with my high school team. Usually in high school you don't have to compete all around if you don't want to

We have a pretty good team at our high school, so if you want to make the team at MY high school you have to have like tumble passes and atleast be able to do round off backhandspring back tuck. And basic front tumbling passes!

My HS team is broken up into JV and Varsity, JV is levels 4, 5, &6. Varsity is 7 & up (and we get the perk of getting our letterman jacket) people always said gymnastics is stupid, but i got a letter my freshman year and no freshman does that. anyways with JV and Varsity split up we can have fair competition for AA and not have someone who just started gymnastics compete with someone like me who has been doing it for a long time. we do have team scores and we get those based on all of us who compete AA :). you should contact the coach for sure, if its like my team we are in the gym practicing most of the summer. so that way you could get to know the team and the coach and actually have the coach spot you and get to trust the coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back