Off Topic Winter is here

• Thread starter Thread starter cher062
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
C

cher062

Well Snowtober has come and gone and left us here in a good portion of New England with out power.
We had in So NH a good foot of snow where I live I hear it varies from 6 inches to 14 inches depending on where you live but no matter where you live trees are down, power is out which means for many no heat, no water (well water), no lights.

We are one of the lucky ones who after 2 day have our power resotred over 300,000 in my state without power still and mostlikely will be without through to the end of the week. Power company said its the 3rd worst storm for power outages and damage in the history of the state.

Trick or treat is canceled tonight - just too many wires still down too many hanging tree limbs. Its been postponed to Nov 6th - not the same thats for sure.

No school until further notice - hoping they will be going tomorrow it's too early for snow days to be used up especially for an extended time. They will end up going until the end of July if we have a bad winter.

On top of that I was suposed to start a new job (after being out for 2 years due to economy) got there and No power so No work until further notice - UGH I need that money.

Now wondering if they had the Halloween meet this past weekend for the L4 - L6 - was supposed to be on Sat and Sun. I'm sure Sun was cancelled as there was no power in most of the state but wondering if they went Sat in the storm?

Oh dear - I do hope my chicken friend up in the lakes is okay if you are getting snow already - Our clocks went back yesterday so now, at 4pm its just starting to get dim and it will be dark in an hour, but its still warm - 16 degrees C here today.

Hope the power etc comes back soon

our power came back at 5 am but 90% of the town is still without (Thank God we live on the same circut as the Hospital we are always one of the first)

Now I have the circus of the In-Laws here with my parents heading over this afternoon. That will be interesting!! LOL

Here is a link to the local tv pictures of the storm

Link Removed

I have 18 inches of snow outside (NJ) but I luckily never lost power. However, schools are closed and halloween is postponed until Friday when it is safer. Many trees are on power lines and everything is slippery.

I got about 4" in Virginia, no power outage here but some areas nearby did. It's mostly melted now, didn't cause too much of a problem at all. My parents in Pennsylvania got about 8". They didn't lose power but my brother who lives about 10 minutes from them was without for about 12 hours. Another family in the area still didn't have any by yesterday afternoon.

Yikes! Postponed Halloween! My mom is in So NH too and got 14 inches but never lost power. I'm in SE Mass and we only got a couple of inches. Lots lost power, but we lucked out this time. I'm thankful for less snow since I'm a nurse and have to drive no matter WHAT the roads are like. Some of the schools around here were closed because of power outage, but I hadn't heard of trick-or-treating being postponed nearby.

wow didn't know it went as far south as NJ
Yup we got 6 inches in central Nj with trees down and many still without power so no school for those areas and it's not even winter yet!

Ok just got word that during this storm my DD school had a small electrical fire in the English Building so the HS will mostlikely be closed all week until they can make sure that it won't happen again!! It's not an old building and there are alot of kids so they can't just move the rooms to one of the other buildings. (the HS is like a college campus with different buildings for different subjects and its big).

I hope things get back to normal for you soon. I can't even imagine snow, we got a "cold" front but it's still in the mid to upper 70's during the day.

It's a balmy 39 degrees here. It's going to be a tough week for those still without power as it gets colder and colder in their homes. Hope they have fireplaces or wood stoves.

our town is down to 70% without power but there are still many with 100% of the community without power. I hear that crews as far away as Ohio are coming in to help.

makes me glad to be on the Gulf Stream - here we are the same latitude as Newfoundland but today is 65 o F and sunny - bad news is we have rain and storms heading in from the atlantic.

Hope the disruption improves soon

'margo

I'm in Northern NJ - got 6 inches of snow. Power was out in about half the town, many trees and powerlines are down (one on my street). We had school, thank goodness because we already "lost" 8 days due to heavy flooding after Hurricane Irene. We also had Halloween although our neighboring towns all postponed theirs. Some streets were dark, many trees all over the roads/sidewalks, you had to be careful not to impale yourself! This was a crazy weekend!

I'm in Northern NJ - got 6 inches of snow.
Only 6 inches?!? So am I, and like I said we got about 18! Although I live on top of mountain, with barely any sunlight... lol my neighborhood always seem to get hit harder then the rest of my town. But we only missed one of day school for Irene, not 8! That's crazy. What goes around comes around I suppose.

Lost power here Saturday, got it back some time last night. About half my town still doesn't have power, and Halloween was cancelled, because it really wasn't safe with all of the downed lines. Thank goodness for our woodstove! I heard that most power will be restored by Thursday.

Wow this thread makes me even more thankful to live in SoCal! Hope everyone gets their power back soon and that the rest of the winter isn't too bad!

Ok no lights freezing cold last week and in the 70's today!! Well at least all the snow is melted (or most of it anyway). You got to love New England Weather.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back