Off Topic Wonder What Those Parents are thinking at the Olympics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SuperGirlmlm

Gymnast
I'm just a gymnast, but I know my mom, and she needs medication when she's watching me compete at meets. She could barely watch me do a double back off bars WITH spot, and she couldn't watch after I got it on my own.
I just wonder what would happen if I got to the Olympics, which will never happen, and I made it to the All around, which will never happen, how would she handle it? She'd probably be standing in some hallway listening to the crowd on the verge of a heart attack.

How do the parents handle their teenage girl at the Olympics?

Lordy, I feel like every gymnastics meet takes about 5 years off my life, and I haven't seen my daughter compete above level 6 or at any meet more "important" than level 5 sectionals where she qualified for level 5 states. I totally get whatever mom that was in the Beijing Olympics who went shopping while her daughter was competing because she couldn't stand to watch. Not that I would NOT watch, really, but I understand the "just tell me when it's over" mentality. And when you get to the olympic level, there are so many things on the table... it's the most important meet that any gymnast ever competes in, the stuff they're doing is crazy-dangerous, and there have been so many sacrifices made by everybody in the family to get her there. It is just hard to imagine how intense an experience that would be!

Mary, it was Nastia's mom. She apparently could never watch a big meet. I don't know about the small ones. My mom would have a heart attack without a doubt.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back