Woodward!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
Alright, I leave for woodward on Saturday! It is a 7 1/2 hour drive so we're leaving the day before and will stay in a hotel up there for one night. It was just to expensive for me to fly.

I'm super excited and yet very nervous.
I only slightly know one other person that will be going.

I'm mostly nervous about being a level 4, 17 year old. I mean I realize that there probably will not be other ones that old. But even a 14 or 15 year old level 4 would be nice.
I'm also nervous about not being put in the right group. Not sure how it will work since my bars are lacking (don't have that darn kip.) but I have I'm working level 6 skills in all other events.
Also, just the fear of forgetting something or not bringing something.

But i'm sure it will all turn out fine.

I know a few CB members have either been past years or have already been this year.
Any advice?
Anything you would def. recommend doing while there?
Has anyone's DD or you yourself done the horeback overnight trip?
Any words of wisdom?
Thanks!

Don't worry about your age or the levels or anything! Either way I'm sure you will have so much fun!

And I can't answer any of your other questions, but I've been riding horses for about 8 years now so I highly recommend anything that has to do with horseback riding :p

I love Woodward, favorite week of the year! Don't worry about the groups because the director and coaches are usually very good at it putting everyone where they should be. Also they move people after the first day if it you aren't where you should be.\

Don't worry about not knowing anyone. One year I went to a second week but without my team and the frst day was a little tough but that night we (my cabin) got to know each other pretty good and I even made some friends. You will also probably make friends from your gymnastics group. Even when I go with my team there are other girls from my group I hang out with too.

The overnight horsback trip is pretty fun, I definitely reccomend it but its great if you bring along a friend so you might want to wait until later in the week to go so you can sign up all together.

Don't worry about forgetting anything, just make sure you have enough leos and other supplies (grips, gym shorts, braces etc.) other wise you will be fine. Maybe double check your packed bag and think of the stuff you might need for the week. Don't forget money for the canteen and medicines though because those are pretty important, otherwise you could borrow from a friend or buy something at the canteen.

Have Fun!!!

It will be awesome! There will be 14 and 15 yo in your group, and you will meet and have fun with other 17 yo. I'm a little bit jealous.....

Two of Kathy's friends went on the horse back riding overnight trip. They said it was great, except that it was supposed to rain that night, so they ended up sleeping in some sort of old cabin and it was "creepy." If the weather is good, I think you just sleep outside. Kathy and some friends did the ropes course and really liked it (and that's free!). Kathy's favorite thing is the bungie tramp but she has only done it once each time she's been to camp because there's usually a really long line. That's free too. (If you can call anything "free" at a camp that costs $900/week, right?) I don't know what area you're coming from, but be prepared to see lots of Amish buggies as you get closer to camp. And don't forget my recommendation about the Elk Creek Cafe in Millheim! If you're interested, you can bring a t-shirt or tank (or buy a "Woodward" one) and do tie-dye or silk-screening. I think there may be an extra charge for that. Have a blast, and report back when you get home!

as for packing this is how i think. what do i need for gym? ok got that, i have enough leos, shorts, sports bras, hair ties,got grips, and braces check. then for clothes i normally just bring one nice outfit for the dance, lots of tanks in shorts(jean and athletic sophie type), a few t shirts and jeans, a warm jacket,pjs, and a couple nice shirts for night time. enought under garmets for the week plus a couple extra, socks, bathing suit, tennis shoes and flipflops. then for toletries, whatever is in my shower,d.o, sunscreen, and maybe a body spray.CHAPSTICK. so i would just go through what you use in everyday life and pack that. if you forget anything cabin mates should have extras too.

your cabin mates will be your age. i know that there is one cabin of 16,17,18 year olds together so they arent with the like 13 year olds. dont worry about being in the wrong group they do a great job of placing you in groups. normally if you are in the wrong group coaches will be able to notice or just go talk to the director.

have fun!! report back to us.

Hey everyone!! Just wanted to say that I've made it back from Woodward safely!! It was an AMAZING week and all the advice I got on here was a HUGE help!!
I started out in the 1st group and it was just way to easy so I asked to move up and after that it was much better for training.
I loved being able to be in the gym so much! I def. took advantage of all the open gyms!!

My cabin was alright, I requested to be with a girl from my gym who was going but she was younger than me (13 yrs) so all of the cabin was younger than me. But it worked out in the end. I got to know some really cool people!

It really surprised me how many people from Canada were there! At least in the gym part, I think there were more canadians than americans!!

I got to work on fly aways and was doing them without spot by the end of the week and I am SOOO close to my highbar kip!
I also got my Round-off BHS Backtuck which I've been terrified off. But just having very good spotters and so much more equipment than my gym made me feel a lot better!

Carly Patterson was there for the week and she was super nice! haha. Me and 3 other friends approached her after the talent show and asked if we could get a picture with her. She responded "No, not tonight girls." And we were like "oooh okay. Well maybe another time" feeling super embarrassed and began to walk away until she broke into a smile going "I was just kidding! Of course I'll take one with you all!"

So overall it was a super good week!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!
Thanks again!

Glad you had such a great time! Congrats on your new skills and new friends! :)

Glad you had such a great time. Im sure it was a wonderful experience you will never forget.

Glad that you ended up having a great time at camp! I told you you would make new friends and be able to train the skills you want!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back