WAG Wrist guards on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
Does anyone wear tiger paws on beam? Does it work okay? Would love to hear any experiences. Thanks!

I have also heard they can be slippery on beam... But I saw at least 5 girls use them for beam at our meet this weekend. All 5 had either a BHS, BWO, or both in the routine. None of their hands slipped (not saying they all landed their feet though, lol).
I think it would be a matter of trying it on a low beam- first with stacked panel mats and slowing lowering them. If it isn't slippery there, move to a slightly higher beam. At every new beam, have mats under - just in case the particular beam is slippery. Once the gymnast is used to it, it probably gets easier.

My DD doesn't like to use them on beam but we have a couple of girls that do and have no problem. I guess it's something you get used to

Most of my teammates don't wear them on beam. They say they are slippery. I'd try on a low beam and go from there (it might be personal preference)

My dd did for the last few years of her gymnastics (level 7 &8). She had issues with tendinitis and working back stepouts really caused discomfort. She got used to using them on beam and did not seem to have an issue landing the skills.

My DD started wearing them on beam this year (lv 8) since she was diagnosed with "gymnast wrists" in May. She wears them for vault, floor, and beam. She just had to get used to the feeling. It wasn't an option according to her orthopedic dr.

My daughter wears something similar to this.

http://www.ten-o.com/TENO-Hyper-Wrist-Support,964.html?b=s*wrist+supports

She is currently L5 and working upper level skills (BHSs on beam, suks on vault) and dealt with a wrist injury last spring. We have tiger paws she has not really wanted wear them.

This she does actually wear, on floor, beam and vault at practice. She likes that it her palms/hands are not covered. For meets she doesn't wear it.

Dd has been wearing them on beam for at least the last 4 years. She has not had any issues with slipping, does not find them slippery.

I wear them on beam, vault, and floor. I have never had any issues with them slipping

My daughter has been having more wrist pain lately especially on beam from lots of back handsprings.

Her coach had her try some tiger paws last night and she was scared to do bhs on beam because she was worried she would slip.

My daughter has been having more wrist pain lately especially on beam from lots of back handsprings.

Her coach had her try some tiger paws last night and she was scared to do bhs on beam because she was worried she would slip.

You need to make sure they are broke in really well. When i first got mine i felt like they slipped when in reality they didn't, but once the leather was soft and they were broke in and i got use to them they were amazing and I no longer get the feeling that they slip.

You need to make sure they are broke in really well. When i first got mine i felt like they slipped when in reality they didn't, but once the leather was soft and they were broke in and i got use to them they were amazing and I no longer get the feeling that they slip.

Thank you- the coach had her borrow some from a teammate but if we get some for her we will make sure she can break them in. My dd is worried her hands will slip and not that the tiger paws will move around.

Thank you- the coach had her borrow some from a teammate but if we get some for her we will make sure she can break them in. My dd is worried her hands will slip and not that the tiger paws will move around.

check my post above regarding the meuller wrist supports dd uses. They are just enough for beam. If she is not planning on wearing them for floor or vt, it may be better to try these first as they give just enough support for beam and she won't feel like she don't have a good enough connection to the beam. Most of the palm is open and strap across the palm is very thin, compared to the bulkiness of the tiger paw on the palm.

Love those. My kid doesn't like the feel of the tiger paws and her skids are black so she can't use them at meets. These look like they will do the trick.
I forgot to mention: the part that goes over the hand is completely removable on these. DD never wears the hand part--she only needs the extra wrist support with all the extra pounding on her wrist joints that comes with upper level optionals...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back