Wristbands for Under Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all,

I recently got my first pair of grips and I've been wearing some Nike wristbands underneath them, but I noticed they bunch up a lot and also my grips tend to rotate a little bit....this is hard to explain....like the wrist part shifts left or right of where it had started with. I think that is partially due to the fabric of the wristband, which allows it to move. I have tried tightening the wrist straps (I have velcro) which helps a little but mostly I find myself adjusting the wristbands and retightening the grips after just about every turn.

Is this normal?? Or should I look into a different type of wristband? I like them pretty tight around my wrists.

Like I said though, it's my first pair of grips so I'm not used to them and what is considered "normal"!

Thanks!

Maybe you would like the neoprene wristbands...they fit very tightly. If you order somev order larger than you think you need.

For the fabric wristbands, I've noticed that there are two different types. Ones with a single layer of fabric, and one with a double layer. I prefer the single layer because the double fabric tends to roll itself inside out on my wrist! So that could make a difference. Also if they are longer, they tend to not bunch up as much, because the grip doesn't get caught on the ends of it.

My DD likes the ones from "10.0" that are the extra long.

Click this link --> wb523 10.0 heavy duty wristbands

She says she loves them. they don't slip or slide and fit so they extend a bit from the grip which keeps the edges of the grips from chaffing her skin.

My preference used to be to cut up old sports socks. Nice and thick, and can cut them to the desired length. Sometimes, I used to wrap athletic tape around them (can adjust for thickness). That should help you if you have problems with your grips rotating around. Other than this, just make sure you have your grips buckled on tight.

For the fabric wristbands, I've noticed that there are two different types. Ones with a single layer of fabric, and one with a double layer. I prefer the single layer because the double fabric tends to roll itself inside out on my wrist! So that could make a difference. Also if they are longer, they tend to not bunch up as much, because the grip doesn't get caught on the ends of it.

Yes I have this problem too! Mine are double thickness, I think, black on one side and white on the other and usually by the time I'm finished the white is about halfway showing, haha. I have the longer ones because I heard those were better before I bought them! They just seem better, haha, no worrying about chafing that way.

Man I gotta say, breaking in grips is WEIRD! I did a back hip circle with them and about fell off the bar, hahaha. So then I decided to stick with tap swings and pullovers for a while! Then I took them off to work on kips and immediately ripped. Sigh.

I may try some neoprene wristbands, I think that would help me get them to feel tighter. Also I've seen people putting athletic tape around the strap, does that help keep them in place?

I had those nike wristbands and gave up on them after one practice! LOL. I use neoprene wirstbands and then the single layer ontop pulled down on my wrist (up tworads my shoulder) because i have really long grips

My preference used to be to cut up old sports socks. Nice and thick, and can cut them to the desired length. Sometimes, I used to wrap athletic tape around them (can adjust for thickness). That should help you if you have problems with your grips rotating around. Other than this, just make sure you have your grips buckled on tight.

Just a personal preference, but I tried this once, and I felt like the grips slid around more.

I use two different wrist bands, one for each wrist. (that's because my left wrist needs more protection because my skin there tends to shred easier). I use a medium sized wrist band on the left that's really thick so doesn't roll very much. My right hand has one that is pretty thin and a bit short so it rolls sometimes but it doesn't bother me.
I've tried neoprene wrist bands before and I didn't really like them, the grips slide around on top and when you first buy them they smell weird. :/

I've tried neoprene wrist bands before and I didn't really like them, the grips slide around on top and when you first buy them they smell weird. :/

lol! Maybe I'll try a different type of wristband if I can't figure out a way to get these to feel "just right" :) Like I said, I've never had grips before, so I don't know if it feeling weird is normal or if there's actually an issue, haha!

Oh gymnastics....you teach me such silly lessons. Who would have thought there'd be 15 different solutions to the wristband problem, haha!

Thanks everyone! I'll let you all know what I decide :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back