WAG WWYD? Two gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Another point too is it's your money to spend as you wish...if you feel like paying for extra outside instruction before your move, have at it...I really don't think you'll be in for the dire consequences as predicted by some (i.e form issues that can't be rectified; new twisting blocks etc) but even if that happens, so what, you are now aware and it's likely that she has to give up the sport anyway with the limited availability in your new country... and you just want your kid to get a little extra instruction while she can before her hours are cut in half by your move. And I don't think it is "wrong" to want her to get a little extra somewhere else so don't even go down that road. I say tune the naysayers out and do what you think is best for your kid, period.

I think Gym A will find out. It's fairly easy as a coach to spot when a child has learned something elsewhere. Hell, I can spot which kids have been practicing at home, and I can differentiate between those who practice by themselves, and those who have parents coaching them. Also its quite hard for children to lie, even by omission, about where they learned something. Also, here in the UK if you work out (or even enquire) at another gym the second gym will nearly always call the first gym and tell them, so they can't be accused of poaching.

So your question you need to ask yourself is what will be the fallout *when* Gym A find out, and can you live with it.

Personally I'd be up front with Gym A. If they are cool with it, there's no problem. If not, you'll have to pick one gym or the other.

Yes, I could ask GYM A and they do offer privates. The problem is that the facility is booked solid from 3PM onward and pretty much all day on the weekends (especially during the season) so the only time kids can do extra stuff, especially floor, is during the school day (and there are homeschool groups, rec and team, that practice then). They do not even offer open gym time, it's just too busy w/regular classes and team practices. The place is bursting at the seams.
I meant could you ask Gym A about DD going to Gym B for these tumbling privates?

No

I have seen this argument used to keep the herd together in an educational context many times. It sounds perfectly reasonable until you realize that it's most often used, as in this instance, to spare a few adults even the slightest discomfort. It's not to prevent significant disruptions to the system or group. One kid, doing six months of extra tumbling, doesn't have that much power.

I certainly didn't quote it to encourage you to keep the herd mentality. And I have no idea if that's what the principal meant when she said it, but I took it as that parents should be completely aware of and recognize that as much as a teacher or a school or a coach may claim to have your child's best interest in mind, it is not the same as a parent because the school/coach/gym has to balance the best interest of your child with the best interests of the other children and the best interests of the classroom and the school.

You seem to be upset that gym A probably would not allow your dd do do these privates at gym B because you feel that this is in her best interest and you feel that gym A should do what is in your dd's best interest.

I'm just pointing out in situations like this, gyms and schools and whatever often don't do what is in the best interest of any one individual child, to preserve what is best for the team overall or the gym overall.

And that is frustrating for the parents. But it is what it is.

I'm sorry you're frustrated.

Ask for a short private face to face with team liaison and head coach. Explain the situation. I think any reasonable coach/liaison would accommodate this situation.

Ask for a short private face to face with team liaison and head coach. Explain the situation. I think any reasonable coach/liaison would accommodate this situation.

I would like to believe that our HCs would be okay with this, under the circumstances.
It's not like GymB can even poach her, she's moving.

There is indeed another mom on this board (but I cannot remember who) who went to her Gym A to ask about DD also training at a Gym B (due to gym A having a significant low number of hours, and DD wanting to learn more) and was given the blessing.
So it can be done!

I would like to believe that our HCs would be okay with this, under the circumstances.
It's not like GymB can even poach her, she's moving.

There is indeed another mom on this board (but I cannot remember who) who went to her Gym A to ask about DD also training at a Gym B (due to gym A having a significant low number of hours, and DD wanting to learn more) and was given the blessing.
So it can be done!

Yup, that was me. DDs coach was happy she was getting extra gym time, and was fully supportive while we did it. It wasn't ideal and not a long term thing, but for a bit...it worked for us. Before we did it I asked on here, and the general reaction was both gyms would say no way. You never know till you ask. Also, my YDDs T&T gym does a ton of tumbling privates with girls from other gyms/places. Assuming you're talking about a good coach, they shouldn't be doing anything that would hurt your DD. It sounds like you are a military family. I apologize if I'm wrong, but I just wanted to say if you are, I get it. We are military and it feels sometimes like we deal with a whole different set of problems and set of rules than everyone else. My thing is just forging the way for my kids the best I can in each place we are dropped.

Sonce you are moving I would say go for it and let the kid have fun if that's what she wants to do. I would be upfront with gym A and let them know why you are doing it and that schedule wise it works better at that gym. I would also ask her coaches if there is anything they would like her to work on or not work on. If parents are upfront with me i never have a problem. It should be what is best for each specific child.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back