WAG Xcel Scores?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
I have about 15 team girls who are competing Xcel this coming Spring. I just started coaching them and their last coach mostly had them as a rec group, so they are not very...polished, to say the least. I'm afraid of what their scores may be in the spring. I'm used to coaching JO, and I was hoping Xcel scoring is easier? I have the kids only doing skills they can safely accomplish, but I just don't know if they will be competition ready in a few months. Does anyone have video examples and scores at Xcel meets? Or any examples?

I think scoring depends on which state you're in. The routines vary widely in skill from what I've seen. My older DD competed excel Bronze recently, and it was all an easy version of level three (except vault which is handstand flatback). The beam and bars were shorter, time wise, than level 3. She placed first overall with a 34.825. I did notice that if you are missing a required element, it is a big disadvantage...starting at a 9.5 instead of 10. You can change their routines, so maybe start with the required bare minimum, see how they do, and change it later?

I have about 15 team girls who are competing Xcel this coming Spring. I just started coaching them and their last coach mostly had them as a rec group, so they are not very...polished, to say the least. I'm afraid of what their scores may be in the spring. I'm used to coaching JO, and I was hoping Xcel scoring is easier? I have the kids only doing skills they can safely accomplish, but I just don't know if they will be competition ready in a few months. Does anyone have video examples and scores at Xcel meets? Or any examples?

you tube is filled with videos of xcel/prep-op. just search with your state's initials and prep-op or xcel, and the level you are looking to compete. I agree with Amber in that scores will vary based on what state you are in. Where we live, skills are not scored any different than compulsory skills but since the routines are individual and do not have follow a precise routine of hand motions, turns, etc. the scores seem to be based more on the skills than the execution of the rest of the routine (hand positions, etc). So, I would say that the xcel scores will tend to be higher than the compulsory scores but it's not because they are more lenient on the skills - it's has more to do with the fact that the routines are individual.

Yes, check your state. Here, XCel/Prep-op is scored MUCH easier than J.O. DD competed L5 last year and then did a few meets as an Intermediate (equivalent to what's now Bronze, I believe) and she scored .5 higher on each event, for the most part.

Yes, check your state. Here, XCel/Prep-op is scored MUCH easier than J.O. DD competed L5 last year and then did a few meets as an Intermediate (equivalent to what's now Bronze, I believe) and she scored .5 higher on each event, for the most part.

Kate - for my own curiosity? - would you say that the requisite skills (bhs, kip, cartwheel etc) were scored higher or did your dd scored higher because there is less deductions for composition errors? or a combination of both...

One of the reasons I ask because in our state, the girls who go through xcel to optionals seem to score similar in gold/platinum and level 7. , suggesting to me that the skills are scored similar but it's the composition (precision) of the compulsory routines that bring scores down in the lower levels... I could be totally off on this one and look forward to hearing other response on this. I suppose vault would be a good indicator since they are the same skill. Do girls competing both JO and xcel have similar vault scores... hmmm

Kate - for my own curiosity? - would you say that the requisite skills (bhs, kip, cartwheel etc) were scored higher or did your dd scored higher because there is less deductions for composition errors? or a combination of both...

One of the reasons I ask because in our state, the girls who go through xcel to optionals seem to score similar in gold/platinum and level 7. , suggesting to me that the skills are scored similar but it's the composition (precision) of the compulsory routines that bring scores down in the lower levels... I could be totally off on this one and look forward to hearing other response on this. I suppose vault would be a good indicator since they are the same skill. Do girls competing both JO and xcel have similar vault scores... hmmm

oops, sorry! Intermediate would be equivalent to Gold I think now (new names here just this year). I agree, the precision of the compulsory routines would definitely be bringing the scores down. As far as vault, DD was scoring near a 9 as an L5 (I think she scored 9.0 once). At XCel/Prep-op, she scored low 9s and once even got a 9.6! While she was THRILLED, her vault was not significantly better ;) I do remember the L5s, at their first Prep Op meet getting so excited with their scores....I think DD got 9.4s on floor and bars...the coaches just told them, "it's Prep Op." meaning, they score easier, AND, it's easier to score better (just as you referenced, GymGal...fewer deductions to take for hand positions, etc). BUT, this could all be because Prep Op/XCel is treated differently in our area. Is is intended as a less rigorous, more relaxed program. We do not see it used as a way to get to optionals, as they utilize it in your gym.

I would say that Xcel scoring tends to be more forgiving, not so much because the judging is easier, but because you can tailor the routines to each girls strengths, and they perform fewer elements per event. The compulsory routines on beam and floor have around 10 to 15 elements that can incur deductions. Xcel girls can do their 5 to 7 required elements, tailored to their strengths, and be done. I have seen Xcel routines that are too long, and they do tend to score in the same range as compulsories. Xcel routines that just satisfy the requirements tend to score higher, not necessarily because the judging is easier, but because there are less deductions to add up.

I would say that Xcel scoring tends to be more forgiving, not so much because the judging is easier, but because you can tailor the routines to each girls strengths, and they perform fewer elements per event. The compulsory routines on beam and floor have around 10 to 15 elements that can incur deductions. Xcel girls can do their 5 to 7 required elements, tailored to their strengths, and be done. I have seen Xcel routines that are too long, and they do tend to score in the same range as compulsories. Xcel routines that just satisfy the requirements tend to score higher, not necessarily because the judging is easier, but because there are less deductions to add up.

this was my thinking but because we haven't gone through both, I wasn't sure.

good point on the fewer elements required in XCel. I remember DD's coach saying "less is more" when it came to XCel, and to simplify as much as possible if you want a good score. It was hard to explain to some of the girls that in XCel it is sometimes better to do just the minimum, but do it cleanly.

My DD competes Xcel Platinum currently. I would have to say the scoring here in Missouri is not any easier than USAG scoring. Usually it is the same judges scoring all levels. Xcel is used here as a bridge between Level 6 and 7 so that once the girl has all her level 7 skills she can transition to Level 7 much easier. Our gym has been skipping level 6 altogether for a couple of years and just scoring out.

good point on the fewer elements required in XCel. I remember DD's coach saying "less is more" when it came to XCel, and to simplify as much as possible if you want a good score. It was hard to explain to some of the girls that in XCel it is sometimes better to do just the minimum, but do it cleanly.

Yes. We see this here too. You know by looking at routines that certain girls are ready to put more into their routines but if they do, then they will get more deductions. Why try a bt when you can do a bhs more cleanly or a kip when a pullover will give the same credit and less deduction. Dd was one of those girls who wanted to compete what she was able to do, not the bare minimum and it showed on her scores and placements. It was hard for us (and I assume her coaches too) to see the lower scores knowing that it was because she was putting harder elements in, but she didn't care - she wanted to be true to herself and in the end it made her a better gymnast and more prepared for the next levels.

Yes. We see this here too. You know by looking at routines that certain girls are ready to put more into their routines but if they do, then they will get more deductions. Why try a bt when you can do a bhs more cleanly or a kip when a pullover will give the same credit and less deduction. Dd was one of those girls who wanted to compete what she was able to do, not the bare minimum and it showed on her scores and placements. It was hard for us (and I assume her coaches too) to see the lower scores knowing that it was because she was putting harder elements in, but she didn't care - she wanted to be true to herself and in the end it made her a better gymnast and more prepared for the next levels.

that's how my DD was too. They only did XCel for a few meets after their L5 season was done (before moving on to L6 in the fall), and my DD really wanted to do a back tuck on floor. But since it was still a new skill for her, her coach convinced her to do 2 BHS instead. She was bummed she was "missing her opportunity" to show what she could do!!

I compete gold in CT (About equal to USAG 5) and I have found that the scoring is not any more or less forgiving than the JO program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back