Gymnasts xcel silver/gold grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
So to set the stage im 14 [yes im old for my level i know] i started about 6 months ago in gymnastics and im starting to train kips, tap swings, heavily spotted giants[strapped], etc.. i tend to usually go home at the end of practice with bleeding rips or really gross hands if not bleeding

since a new season is starting i want to know if i should invest in grips or not, my gym has no regulations on when you should get them or not they just prefer that bronze/>level3 dont get them since theyre not training intense bar skills. If it helps I'm currently training silver and will most likely upgrade to gold before competitions start so yes, I would be competing in gold.
Heres my bar routine;
pullover[kip if I have it by january], double bhs, squat on, tap swings, 1/4 twist dismount[flyaway if i have it by january]
If you have any suggestions please lmk :)

I say when you start working kips and skills on high bar, you should be using grips. (especially giants, even If I don't recommend training them in silver or gold at all (Im not even sure how you were doing it without grips)

I say when you start working kips and skills on high bar, you should be using grips. (especially giants, even If I don't recommend training them in silver or gold at all (Im not even sure how you were doing it without grips)
i have tape grips that i go through pretty regularly

(Im not even sure how you were doing it without grips)
I thought she meant she's doing them on a strap bar. I think usually strap bars are without grips, right?

So to set the stage im 14
Coaches will have different thoughts on when to get grips, but they're usually used to younger kids. I think depending on how tall you are and where you are in your development, you may need a different approach. A 14 year old (hopefully) tends to be a lot bigger than the very young gymnasts that some coaches are used to at this level. That's a lot more hanging on that small bit of skin, so you get more rips. I think that's something to keep in mind when you make your choices. I started gymnastics as an adult (24 y.o. in a country where we're all tall, so that doesn't help much). When I started kipping, I eventually ripped every week. For me, dowel grips really helped, and I have adult friends who are using beginner grips (without dowels) to prevent ripping. I think when I kept ripping, the rips never had time to properly heal, so the skin never got much tougher either. Initially I still got rips with grips, but less often.

I say when you start working kips and skills on high bar, you should be using grips
I think around the kip is generally a good timing. It does also depend a bit on your finances. If you can get a pair to try and slowly get used to, you can lessen the strain on your hands. If you still want to also practise without in between, so you practise shifting wrists without grips and get calluses. Some coaches say that's important. If the dowel grips don't work out, you can also consider trying beginner grips.

If you find you have trouble getting used to grips, this thread may have some useful info: https://chalkbucket.com/threads/grips-or-no-grips.69864/#post-633727

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

NEW COMBO for Suni Lee? 🥇

Back