Parents You know your child's a gymnast when...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Her teacher let's me know that she spends recess doing back handsprings..

My daughters spend time at home making future floor routines for eachother..

TV is watched while having to .."hey watch this. .."

Mostly seeing feet than face..

Cartwheels through grocery store..

Owns more leos than actual shirts or pants..

Always asks for more leos for birthdays and x-mas...

Best friends are all team mates..

You repeatedly hear "how long did I hold that handstand?"

You wonder how long it would take to earn a degree in sports psychology.

You get sent emails by 8 year old DS's teacher with video clips from every open mic at school.

You no longer bat an eye at most tumbling, and other parents think you're crazy for not being in awe of cartwheels, walkovers, handsprings, etc. And in total honestly, the tumbling actually kinda sorta annoys you.

Bonus:
You know you have a future gymnast when: you have to remove the dining room chairs and relocate them to the basement due to your 1 year old DS repeatedly climbing atop the table and swinging the chandelier.

...she sings the national anthem in the shower. Repeatedly.
...she scores many things you do ("That's about a 9.0 leaf raking job")
...you have so many extra hairties that you use them to close things like pretzel bags
...she can open the childproof bottle of cold medicine:p....and YOU can't!:mad:
She was upset one day that she didn't have gymnastics. I said I bet you'd go 7 days a week of you could. She said "I'd go more than 7 days a week." Lol

My favorite as of late... high school physical fitness testing! My 5' tall 9th grade dd asks the gym teacher when its time to test, whats the most pull ups anyone has done. And the teacher says one girl did 9 and dd asks what about the boys and the teacher says 21 so dd busts out 30 for good measure! Then proceeds to do the same thing for sit ups and push ups... She was mad that she got beat by a couple 6' + boys and one 5'10" girls volleyball player on the standing long jump and got beat by a few people at the mile run (I guess gymnasts can't be best at everything)...

The boys in my house know to stand back when their sisters are upside down - might get kicked at any moment...

She leaves for practice with her grip bag, gym bag, first aid bag, water bottle, coat, schoolwork, meal for the way, and snack for the way home. You step out of the car at the gym and realize that not only have you forgotten your own coat… but you are also still wearing your pajamas.

When you have a "word wall" in the office for the first to second grader and most of the words on it are gymnastics related so she will be able to use them whenever possible on homework...
For example:
Math... 4 cartwheels + 7 cartwheels = 11 cartwheels.
Social studies... (maps) - directions to gymnastics - drive 1 floor music. Turn right. Drive 3 more floor musics and turn left. After 5 floor music's, turn right again. Follow the road for 10 floor music's. Then turn right. Turn left at the round off back handspring. Turn right after another floor music. At the handstand forward roll, turn left and you are there. - That one took all three drives with the Old L4 music on repeat for her to figure out. THEN a conversation with the teacher to confirm it was accurate - and to express just how much I despised that music, lol :)
Oh... and the constant handstands and cartwheels!

When every school essay is written about gymnastics, every "all about me" drawing contains a set of uneven bars, and every goal-setting sheet is filled with "Get my ..." and "Move up to Level ..."

Whenever your child is asked to go do her homework or put away her laundry, she does six cartwheels and two handstands on the way and then forgets what she was supposed to be doing in the first place.

When your child comes home from a week at camp and none of the clothes in her duffel bag have been worn except leotards and pajamas.

When you, the parent, are willing to watch hairstyling videos on YouTube and then visit four different stores and scour the internet for something called "spray gel."

When your child asks you to do a cartwheel and then critiques your form instead of being amazed that you can actually do one.

When your child picks out the L3 floor music on the piano instead of practicing her scales.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back