WAG Skills test question for level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1. Have consistently achieved a mimum score in comps on each apparatus and all around (won't give score as our scores are different in Australia).

2. Has all the required skills for the next level - everything in competition

3. Full fills our other requirements - ie can half a handstand minimum 10 seconds, has a side aerial on floor, Front tuck dismount off beam, good body shape front layout fro board to crash mat,

4. Has committed to the hours required - good attendance and punctuality. This is important because going up a level means increasing the hours.

5. Shows a good attitude towards training and correction and consistent effort in training.

Has scored a 9.00 or better on each event in level 3 competition at least once. Doesn't have to be all events at the same meet, just a 9.00 on each event at least once.
Qualified for and competed at level 3 state.
Has all level 4 skills, including comfortable with a front handspring over the table alone, a connected bars first half, a connected second half on bars, all the beam skills, and all the floor tumbling and dance.
15 push ups, pull-ups, and leg lifts.
5 second handstand hold.
2 splits down (of left, right, and middle).
Bridge with straight knees and shoulders over hands.

This is communicated to the kids and emailed to the parents.

Occasionally a kid will transfer in to JO from Xcel without competing level 3. They need the skills, strength, and flex requirements,

Thanks everyone. My kid is pretty young - almost 7 (ie not the most reliable informant;)) but she told me that she needs her lvl 4 skills before "testing" which I think is in June but that she also needs to do 20 leg lifts with straight legs, 15 piked straight legs rope climb steps, 10 press handstands up and down from straddle (not standing - is there a name for that?), hold a handstand for 10 seconds, all 3 splits all the way down and an AA of 36 in at least one meet.

She was obviously pretty detailed but some of this (the strength parts!) seems a little rough especially if she has all the skills (she has all but the infamous kip which she lost over our holiday vacation). I would like to ask her coach if it's accurate but I guess in the end if she meets their specific requirements she meets them and if not, then she doesn't!

Wow! My dd would never have made level 4, LOL! And our gym's team would consist of maybe 2-4 girls. That's some tough stuff right there.

10 press handstands from a straddle sit? I could maybe understand just ONE press as a requirement but 10 sounds like a joke if it's criteria for everyone. Are you sure that your kid has understood the coach right? The coach might have been kidding about the 10 presses...

10 press handstands from a straddle sit? I could maybe understand just ONE press as a requirement but 10 sounds like a joke if it's criteria for everyone. Are you sure that your kid has understood the coach right? The coach might have been kidding about the 10 presses...

I agree that it sounds like a joke!! I'm definitely not sure that she understood it right! That said, they did have to do at least one from straddle sit to make level 2, so I suppose it isn't out of the realm of crazy possibility.

Is it appropriate for me to ask to coach? To make sure that my kid understands what she needs?

Are you serious? All the level 2s have a straddle press handstand! Impressive. How big is the team? How about the ones who didn't get it? They just stay in rec?

I think it's okay to ask!

Are you serious? All the level 2s have a straddle press handstand! Impressive. How big is the team? How about the ones who didn't get it? They just stay in rec?

Sorry! slip of finger. They need it (one straddle sit to press handstand) to get to level THREE, not 2!

It is all on what the gym focus's on, some gyms have the kids doing press handstands every day from the time they start pre team at perhaps 3 years old. Most of our little ones have a press to handstand, and we don't overly emphasis it, but we certainly do it every lesson.

Large gyms, especially those with limited spots on their teams will have very high standard of selection. What one gym accepts will be very different to another. Imagine yiu have a gym over over 2000 kids but only 30-40 spots on the team. You would need to be elite material to make it.

I agree that it sounds like a joke!! I'm definitely not sure that she understood it right! That said, they did have to do at least one from straddle sit to make level 2, so I suppose it isn't out of the realm of crazy possibility.

Is it appropriate for me to ask to coach? To make sure that my kid understands what she needs?

Are you sure they aren't planning on her testing for TOPS? She is old enough.....LOL. Girls in our gym that can do more than one are usually on the TOPS team.

okay, so I got a pseudo-answer from the coach.
They def needed one press handstand from straddle sit to get to level 3. Their goal is to have between 2-3 in a row prior to level 4 and then they expect you to have 8-10 in a row by the time you complete level 4 (but she didn't say it was mandatory for level 5...). So while I now know where my kid got the number of 10 PHS, the rest remains clear as mud! She didn't mention anything about TOPS so I think it is just our gym's chosen strength progression.

Reactions: sce
okay, so I got a pseudo-answer from the coach.
They def needed one press handstand from straddle sit to get to level 3. Their goal is to have between 2-3 in a row prior to level 4 and then they expect you to have 8-10 in a row by the time you complete level 4 (but she didn't say it was mandatory for level 5...). So while I now know where my kid got the number of 10 PHS, the rest remains clear as mud! She didn't mention anything about TOPS so I think it is just our gym's chosen strength progression.
8-10!!!!! The 2 elites in our gym can do that, but I don't think any others can. Some can do a few, or 1.

all these replies are freaking me out! Is our gym really over the top here?! I'm going to ask a few of the parents of higher level gymmies and see if that is just what they "feed" the kids to get them to work harder or if that is really what's happening! My kiddo is strong, but geez! If that's what elites are doing...

Even for TOPs 7-8 they have to do 5 so it does seem a little off. 9-10 TOPS do 10. That said if you could do 5 consistently you could probably hit 10 while being tested especially if they were a bit forgiving of mistakes like sitting down on some. It would be getting multiples in the first place that would be difficult.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back