2010 TOPs results

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lynneyc

Has anyone received the results of the 2010 regional TOPs testing?

TOPS results?

I heard results have been sent to coaches - does anyone have the list of qualifiers?

Qualifer list hasn't been released yet (each coach can only get their team's scores), but here are the cutoff scores for national testing, in case anyone is interested:

11 yr old - 77 pts
10 yr old - 72 pts
9 yr old - 68 pts
8 yr old - 75 pts
7 yr old diamond cutoff - 70 pts

Tops testing

Nervous mom: Are the point values from offical representative?...if not where did they come from?...I was questioning due to the 8 year old "national best" point value being so much higher than the 9 year old. :)

Also in reviewing past test scores for 7, 8 and 9 year olds...it is confusing as to what value is actually taken. An example of this is the left leg split score and the right leg split score (two separate point values) are both of these caluculated to determine final score or does gymnast max out at 15pts for this skill?

Last edited by a moderator:
Qualifer list hasn't been released yet (each coach can only get their team's scores), but here are the cutoff scores for national testing, in case anyone is interested:

11 yr old - 77 pts
10 yr old - 72 pts
9 yr old - 68 pts
8 yr old - 75 pts
7 yr old diamond cutoff - 70 pts

the difference in cutoff scores has to do with how the pool of gymnasts in that particular age group did....the 8 year olds obviously did quite well

yes it is-they took a very small number of # of 8 year olds-that is why the score is so high. They took about 100 9 year olds, but about 20 or so 8 year olds.

So there were only 20 eight yr olds that got 75 pts or higher?
I still haven't heard if my daughter made it, do all coaches have the results?

I haven't received my dd's result yet either. I am pretty sure she made Diamond but would love to hear some confirmation before celebrating.....

IMO I think 8 yo cutoff was high, 75, because they take the same physical abilities test as 7 year old. It would just make sense that they would have a higher cutoff than 7yo. 8 yo have a whole extra year to perfect the skills and many are testing for the second year.

I don't believe only 20 8yo in the country scored higher than 75......:rolleyes:

Yes all coaches have the results. They were emailed to them yesterday.

yes it is-they took a very small number of # of 8 year olds-that is why the score is so high. They took about 100 9 year olds, but about 20 or so 8 year olds.

there were 2700 kids that tested across the country!

A very small percentage even make it to testing but there's a lot of kids who shouldn't even be testing at all....if you do not max out on most things, you will not make the cut. 2700 kids tested....HUGE money maker....

Hi Bookworm,
TOPs isnt a big $ maker for anyone but the regions!! I had a test w a 100 kids and it made about 250 profit after all the fees were paid out. USAG gets a cut of 10 or 15 bucks /kid, and the region gets 20. The region does nothing-the $ just gets put into an acct, and I know in our region it goes right back into the JO program, nothing special for the TOPs kids. (The region even refused to buy the 7 state managers of our region a shirt a couple years ago....) The rest goes to paying the testers/gyms for hosting, etc.
Gary Warren works his butt off to crunch all those numbers and get the kids to texas. I have had a great experience in the program (as have the kids-both the ones that have made it, as well as the ones that have not made it). Im not sure why you have such a sour taste, but I can tell u 1st hand its not a big $ maker and a lot of what is made goes back into the program.

I know for a fact that in our previous gym, the TOPs program was a big moneymaker for the gym itself!!! They charged an extra $100.00 per month for each child to "train" TOPs. So multiply that several times over, and yes, it was a HUGE money maker for the gym.... I have a feeling that this is a similar scenario played out in many gyms across the country.

Having only 20 girls selected out of such a large pool of 8 year olds (i don't acutally have the exact number but total over 2700 girls, seems like a very small number to have achieved a score of 75.

100.00 per month-how many hours per month? (That does seem like a lot.) It might not have been as much profit as you think (maybe, I dont know for sure) as the tops coaches are probably the higest paid in the gym bc they are the most experienced?

We still haven't heard anything from our gym. How much harassing is appropriate before we become obsessive? :confused:
Instead of sitting here all night I think I will go drink a glass of wine and toast!

Hi Bookworm,
TOPs isnt a big $ maker for anyone but the regions!! I had a test w a 100 kids and it made about 250 profit after all the fees were paid out. USAG gets a cut of 10 or 15 bucks /kid, and the region gets 20. The region does nothing-the $ just gets put into an acct, and I know in our region it goes right back into the JO program, nothing special for the TOPs kids. (The region even refused to buy the 7 state managers of our region a shirt a couple years ago....) The rest goes to paying the testers/gyms for hosting, etc. "

Gymcoach-I don't have a "sour taste" on TOPS as my daughter was on the TOPS teams but I think that some gyms make parents believe that if they do not succeed at TOPS then they will not be a decent gymnast. I think that gyms need to incorporate the TOPS training into their every day workout to be successful for all and I think that screening out girls who will not do well at a testing (i.e. not coming close on an event ) would help make the numbers more real in terms of predicting their success at the testings. At our gym, every gymnast who "did TOPS" also tested and we had girls who couldn't even do one press!!! For those parents, I think going to a TOPS test is a waste of their money but the gym was caught up in "we have X girls testing for TOPS". I think the girls are better off to be screened out beforehand and then continue to work on what's needed for a future testing.

At our gym, when you have 40 girls training TOPS at $100 a month and none or maybe one make it to National Testing, that seems more like a money maker to me. And when you say the Region makes the money, that's kind of my point. As far as the gym getting paid for hosting it, we were always told that it was an "honor" to host it but not that any fee was received so I don't know about that. Don't get me wrong, I think the actual training is beneficial, it's the message and the way it is conveyed that I worry about....

Last edited:
Gymcoach34... it was an extra 3 hours per week for the girls "chosen" to participate in this TOPs program. Amazingly, the girls chosen were either children of employees, girls who were too old for the TOPs program (Two of the girls in this group were already TWELVE years old for that year) or were the daughters of "friends" of the owners. Oh, and no one, as of yet, has actually officially tested!!! The program is now 2 years old at that gym.

The coach for this select group is from a foreign country and barely speaks English, which, in itself posed communication problems. But as we watched the girls work out there, we all realized pretty quickly that it seemed to focus on just compulsory routines the girls needed for their upcoming competition season. Some of the girls' parents realized that they were throwing away an extra 100.00 per month for nothing and pulled their girls out, but amazingly, most have remained in this program. It is really something to see.

Yes, they charge an extra $100.00/month for the privelege of training "TOPs."

Tumblequeens mom- thats interesting....has anyone questioned why they dont test or do higher level skills?

I see what you mean by money maker now....I have never seen a program run that way, nor have I ever run mine that way (what my athletes pay extra for TOPs training is nothing, about 3.00/hr)! That is obviously not teh purpose of the program, and its too bad the parents at your gym are being taken advantage of.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back