A new this week I accomplished.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello everyone. I have just recently returned to gymnastics after nearly 12 years. I finally found an adult gymnastics class and have attended a few times now. I LOVE IT! I am having so much fun, and I am amazed at the things I can still do. I have even learned new things I never did when I was younger. I am doing backwalkovers on beam again, flyaways, full twists on the tumble tramp...it's a blast. My goal is to be able to regain some strength and flexibility that has been long last from my younger days.
I have enjoyed reading other entries here, and it has inspired me to keep going to this class. It's nice to know that there are other adults out there who are returning to gymnastics, or who are even just now starting. I'm glad I can share my love of the sport here!

So I have my meet on Saturday, made some tweaks to my floor routine(just changed tumbling passes sequence so I wouldn't be about to fall over at the end of my routine lol). Changed my jump series in my beam routine to a straight jump stride jump. Will hopefully be able to pull off a bar change(can't do a squat on, but as long as I stay confident in myself, I can climb up, squat on is not quite there yet) and as much as I would LOVE to do a FHS vault, I'm not ready for that either. Can't wait for next years meet though, it will be even more fun. And I have started doing BHS in the belt again as well

Good luck Nicci!

Tonight I did some back tuck somersaults off a mat into the pit. Also, getting my backward roll to handstand quite nicely down the wedge.

Didn't work very many actual skills today but I got in a lot of good conditioning on bars! And I'm going to try strap bar next week for the first time :]

So we had our meet last weekend, and it was TONS of fun! Everyone was cheering eachother on, and it was just a great environment to have a second competition in. So what did I accomplish? The goal I had set out for on beam, I stayed on. Not only that, but I was pretty solid all in all. Back to the gym next week to start up training!

Great Job! I enjoyed your video's on gymnastike. Maybe one day I will get up the guts to try an adult gym class. I always wanted to do it as a kid but never said anything, not sure why.

Congrat's to all who participated!

So I'm sort of back in the gym, in that I'm having a proper go trampolining. I've always played around on it coaching, but never had any formal coaching until july, when I started joining the last hour of an adult class after work. Basically loved it, and it is so much easier on my back and wrist. I'm now bouncing three times a week and my first competition is in 3 weeks time! This week I accomplished the second half of my routine except for one extra bounce (back drop, bounce, half twist instead of back drop half twist out) including connecting the pike jump to back drop which is kind of scary. I'm really excited and all the new people I've met are really friendly too. It's great to be back in the sport!

Tonight I tried a straddle on for the first time! I was really scared and put thick mats everywhere, then had a go. I actually got it on the second attempt! My heart was pounding and my legs felt like wobbly jelly. I kept practicing and did a whole lot more of them, standing up and jumping to the high bar each time. I'm so excited!

So one thing I don't think I mentioned, I had hurt my knee again at the meet. Went to my surgeon a couple of weeks ago, and I'm on restriction, no pounding. So no vault, no tumbling, no dismounts(though I suppose I can start working my flyaways into the pit, that isn't landing!). I did try vaulting off the tumble track tonight and my knee popped uncomfortably, SO, I conditioned for about 40 minutes tonight. My legs are going to be sore tomorrow, but it's all good. On the bright side, I have been working MUCHO handstands(restriction can be good for some things!), and on beam tonight, I was able to go up into an almost verticle handstand, something I haven't been able to do for years! I just bought gym shoes for floor and beam, and wore those tonight, and I felt SO much more secure on the beam, especially when doing cartwheels. It was nice knowing that I wasn't going to slip off the beam! Takes some getting used to, but there it was! Maybe now I will get those handstands back again. But it was nice to go to class again, even though I had to condition a lot. Next week is bars and floor, so hopefully I won't hve to conditin quite as much, and I have open gym tomorrow morning, guess I will work more handstands!

I had back surgery 7 weeks ago and I will finally be cleared to go back to gym in 1 week. I'll just do conditioning my first 2 weeks because I've lost a ton of strength but at least I'll be back. I've never been so excited to do conditioning in my life!! :)

Nicci - I wear gym shoes, too, although hardly anyone over here wears them. I wear a very small insole in the right shoe as my pelvis is smaller on the right side, by a tiny amount, the insole helps with my back problems by keeping me straight. I wear my shoes for floor and beam, but I take them off for bar as I'm worried they won't grip on the bar as well as bare feet. Sorry to hear about your injury.

Tried strap bar for the first time ever today and it's so much fun!!! I have some pretty nasty looking marks on my wrists though so I'll have to invest in some wristbands for next time. Also tried to learn the back hip circle underswing dismount which was fun but a bit harder than it looks.

Last night I started working on flic-flac again after a few weeks off it. Also started doing handstands on the floor beam. Tonight I went to a trampoline class, which was fun.

Underswings on bars are a lot harder than they look! And yes, you do need to have wristbands on strap bar, or it hurts! This week I worked more on my back kickovers and those are progressing nicely. I can still do a pullover, but only if the bar is on the lower side lol, something that I have to work up to I guess. Starting working FHC as well, but still laying low on the knee pounding. See my ortho in a couple of weeks so we shall see. Probably have to get it fixed, the mensicus that is, but its all good

I've taken it slow but have had no pain. Lots of round offs and punch fronts on TT. Front halves into the pit off the TT. I did some flip flops on the tramp with no issues and then some back flips and a few layouts in the belt. Lots of conditioning at home and in the gym. I'm glad to be back.

Hello everyone! First off- I was SO excited when I came across this when searching online! I'm 24 and starting real gymnastics training for the first time and I didn't know anyone else out there that was trying this as an adult too. I'm excited to be a part of this community and its been awesome reading all of your journey's as well.

I've been a competitive cheerleader and dancer since I was about a year and a half old- so the tumbling and all that isn't too much of a problem (well at least the cheer tumbling...its going to be getting past the one flipping rotation and 2 twisting rotations that will be the killer!) BUT i haven't tumbled consistently in a couple years. gymnastics is a whole new adventure for me and something i've always wanted to do, just could never fit in my schedule- but hey I figured, it's never to late to chase your dreams! :)

I've been going for about a month at twice a week, and I'm feeling a little stronger and getting a little more comfortable with things, but its still terrifying (beam) to me and I still feel incredibly weak! So much for feeling like I was in shape! haha so far I've been working glide kips, back/front hip circles, tap swings and attempting casting to a handstand on bars. I keep ripping something fierce though so I usually only get to hit bars once a week. just this past week i've been throwing front handspring vaults on the actual big vault! its the one event that I will actually go full force and full out on without being a wimp! haha and beam has been by downfall. i had a mental breakdown doing cartwheels on high beam (I hate going any direction other than backwards for some reason) but I went right for back walkovers (with a spot of course). I nailed my first full turn last night! i was so excited!! :)

I am fortunate that I have a private coach that only works with me so I feel like I can get more accomplished. My gym doesn't offer adult classes, but I grew up in there with cheer and coached the cheer/dance teams through college so its basically family for me there. One of my past male coaches has offered to help me and he's been great. I'm so excited to learn all of this and I'm not sure what I want to with it at this point, I just know its awesome finally doing it and feeling that sense of accomplishment with each new thing!

I'm excited to chat with all of you and support you on your adventures! :)

-Maegan

I got my full turn on beam today!!! And I was able to show to my coach that I really CAN do a pullover lol, without using something to bounce off of. I also started working BHS over the barrel some more, it wasn't bad on my knee at all, and next week I'm going to start working my BWO. That is so exciting jumping, about the giant! You will have to post it on youtube(yes, I suscribed to your channel lol! I need to put some videos up myself for me!) Maybe week after next I can get into the strap bar and see what I can do too, cause I love the strap bar!

That's great about the full turn nicci! Those can be kind of scary because you can't see the beam until you've turned all the way around, and by then it's too late to make sure you're centered! And thanks for subscribing to my channel :] Definitely put up some videos! I haven't posted anything in a while because my camera is broken :[ But as soon as I get a new one I'll try to get a video of some giants. Strap bar is my new favorite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back