A new this week I accomplished.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so this week I started working more beam, particularly the level 4 mount and dismount. Having issues with the dismount, don't know why, but I can't seem to wrap my self around the concept of the half turn. hopefully it will come shortly. Also did handstand flatbacks on the vault trainer with the fat pad behind it, nice to know I can do those again! Never did them with the vault trainer. Before I got injured I was working my fhs but I was doing it on the TT over the fat mat. Overall a good week!

nothing like learning a new tumbling pass before a meet...front tuck, front pike. i don't even know where it came from. i needed a double salto pass my shoulder hurts to do a bhs, so i just chucked it, with a spot of course. and i made two or three on rod floor and maybe tonight, i'll try in on the normal floor.
and i tried my cutcatch on the real low bar instead of the pit low bar. they are weak, but maybe i'll have that in time for the 20th.

Katy, refresh my memory how did you hurt your shoulder/neck again? You are doing ladies level 8 right? I am excited, its one week away!

I have done soo many double salto passes, none of them are all that consistent for me..my current one is front tuck ro back tuck, but I still am not 100% on my hurt knee so I might be changing that to front pike front tuck or similar this week, which I have done before..at least with ladies AAU I am pretty sure the special requirements are worth just 0.2 each so not the end of the world if we don't have them..just trying to have the 4 a's and b's being the priority..

re shoulder: it was so dumb i jumped over something at work and the floor was wet where i landed and i gave myself serious whip lash when i landed on my knee! isn't that classic. i still can't do bhs on the floor or beam. i'll see how it feels at the meet.
yes, i'm doing ladies 8, how about you? i think you're correct on the .2 deduction. did you mean 4 b skills?
i love that the competitions are just for fun and there's no pressure. my teammie and i will have silver and black leos on. see you sunday!

i just wanted to say good job to all my "adults gymnast". i give us all credit for putting on a leo and flipping.

Yes, I agree it's nice that it's just for fun :eek:)

I will be in light blue with white sleeves, and I have no teammates. What is your teammates name?

I am doing ladies 8 also, last year I did intermediate optional because I couldn't do as much.

Yes, I agree it's nice that it's just for fun :eek:)

I will be in light blue with white sleeves, and I have no teammates. What is your teammates name?

Next year you might!! That would be fun. Hope your shoulder feels better soon katy, it's always when one is not in the gym or doing anything fantastic that injuries occur lol. Good luck next weekend ladies, for fun or not, you will all kick butt!!!

Good luck to you ladies competing! I had a great time at the Masters Games, there were only a few of us there, it was great to meet other adult gymnasts. I didn't wear a leo, but I would if I had a body that wouldn't look really terrible in one.

It is funny about the injuries, my body did fine at the competition, no problems at all. Later that day I went out sightseeing, we were going up to a lookout and I pinged my disk again climbing up a spiral staircase.

the beauty of aau is we get to wear shorts to cover up the cellulite! i wanted to kill my teammie because the leo she chose is one of the shiny fabric ones, which means it shows a 12 year old's six pack and every bump, lump, and roll on an adult! the velvet are the best at hiding things. but i've chosen the leos for the last two competition years and she hates velvet.
headed to practice tonight.

I usually tumble on Sunday afternoons, however, I was sick (AGAIN) with the stomach bug. Ugh!! This week my coach will be out of town so I'm going to go try a ballet class and see how that goes...can't wait. I'm hoping it will help in some way....

Congrats on the baby JD!!!!

I am really kind of surprised at how quickly I am getting skills back/getting them all together after my 6 months out from surgery. I did a roundoff on floor last night-it wasn't my best, had no rebound, but I did it-first one since July on floor! Did quite a few on tumble track and those went pretty well. Started working my kickover down a wedgemat last night, and almost made it over several times(I can consistently kick over off a block), got stuck in a handstand at one point, ended up holding it for like, 6 seconds. Too bad I can't do that consistently lol. Really hoping in the next couple of months I will be at least where I was before I got hurt, if not further along, and it seems like I am on the right track for that. Can't wait for next week!!

Good job, Nicci! I've also been working on my round-off and also my handstand. We now have a new more structured class at the adults class (as well as the usual 'open gym' class) and I am really loving it. The coach is awesome. In 5 minutes he improved my round-off more than I'd managed in a whole year of practicing by myself. The next time he did the same with my handstand. It's amazing what a difference some good coaching can make. I just hope this class keeps going as there are only a few of us.

I went to the gym Wednesday, so that's something. lol It was really awkward at first since I'm still transitioning to the "doing everything on my own" point, and I had no idea what to do when I got to the gym. After that initial awkwardness, things got better though. I warmed up a bit, stretched, discovered my straddle splits have miraculously gotten better despite hardly stretching since I've been in college, and then talked to the coach a bit about what I wanted to do. The class for adults is basically a tumbling specific open gym, which isn't exactly what I'm after, but it's something until I get more comfortable and can see about going back to full gymnastics. After that I just did some handstands, cart wheels, and round-offs to get back into the swing of things, and the coach set up some BHS drills for me. By the time I was done with those I was already exhausted. I manage to do three back handsprings on the floor, then went to do some front tumbling at my own pace on the tumble track. My front tumbling isn't even close to what it was, but I was so tired at that point it's no surprise. I'm so sore now that it's difficult for me to even get out of bed. I do plan to continue going though, as even though I was tired at the end and in pain now, it was a lot of fun.

My goals for this year:

-standing backhandspring on floor
-ro bhs on floor
-tuck flyaway on bars
-kip
-cartwheel on high beam
-front tuck dismount on beam
-back walkover on floor
-front tuck on floor (basically had this before my ankle injury)
-back extension roll on floor

I did some bhs again! Granted it was in the spotting belt on the tramp, but even still, it is a start to work myself back up again! We did some branis into the pit, and I landed odd and strained my back-DOH. But they were really fun, and we did some drills for straddle backs on bars. It was just a low key class this week, but it went well

Congrats on the bhs, I would love to be able to do one of those one day! This week, I am learning to climb up on the low bar, stand up and jump to grab the high bar. I can't actually do anything on the high bar yet, I guess that will come next. I love bars!

Today's practice was great! Before my tumbling class, I took another ballet class for an hour (LOVE IT!!)!! Tumbling was pretty good...I'm so proud of myself! Today was my 1st time doing cartwheel back handsprings on beam since I was wwwaaayyyy younger! LOL! Granted I did them on the floor beam...I still did them!! :) My running tumbling is giving me trouble though. I was doing so great until Thanksgiving when I got very sick for a month...lost pretty much all I had accomplished :( Surely though, it will come back with good practice & patience.

Ok, so tonight I did two kickovers down a wedgemat all by myself! I just started working on them a couple of weeks ago, went to adult class that I haven't been to since I hurt myself last year, and there it was! Super fun day today, I'm on spring break this week so my week is loaded with gymnastics!!!

Well done on the kickovers. I can't do those yet but I'm working on improving my bridge. Last week my coach put me up on high bar with straps and was teaching me how to swing. My first time ever, it was very exciting, but one of my wrists got quite bruised from the strap. On Sunday night I was doing back extension rolls down a wedge with straight arms, aiming for handstand, almost got there a few times. I've got class tonight, I wonder what we'll be doing this week.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back