WAG Bow, scrunchie, or both?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
Just curious what your dd's gym requires for meets.
We are in the scrunchie corner. Thank God. I have a hard enough time without trying to deal with a bow. We are also lucky in that any style of bun is fine, as long as it is a bun.

Whatever keeps their hair out of their faces and stays put during the meet. Most of the girls just have a bun or ponytail with the scrunchie that comes with the competition leotard, some parents are a little bit more fancy but no way would I require it.

We have to wear the scrunchie that came with the comp leotard. Curly high ponytail for the younger compulsory kids. I think bun for optional. We have a few older compulsories but I'm not sure what they are supposed to do.

About a week before picture day I was given a piece of paper with detailed instructions on how to do hair for meets and verbally walked through the process :eek:. Huge bow required, schrunchie optional but recommended. It was beyond my skill set (getting knots out and regular braids) so my dw did it. It looked great to me. My dd got to the gym they undid everything and redid it. (It looked the same to me).

Neither. My DD prefers pigtails (french-braided into the pigtails for meets). So it's just plain old ponytail holders for us (sometimes she picks red to match her comp leo; other times black to blend with her hair color). Gym requires hair to be secure and off the face, nothing more.

To me, bows are for CHEER. Our girls usually wear the scrunchie that came with their competition leotard.
When YG was first on team, I had several scrunchies from team leotards (I had purchased 3 previous comp leotards for OG… one was used though, but still came with the scrunchie… AND another leo I had bought her came with the same color PLUS we went with a new design that year, but same color scrunchie- so between OG and YG, we had 6 roaming around), so I could do pigtails and they each had a scrunchie.
Girls with short hair either do nothing or barrettes or a headband.
Hardly anyone on our team does a bun (I think there may be 1 girl, but she came from a high profile club gym that required them).

My dd uses the scrunchie that comes with her team leotard. I'm not sure if it's required but I think everyone does. We are just told that hair needs to be neat and secured out of their face. I watched some you tube videos and finally learned how to french braid a little so I do a small french braid on one side going into a pony tail. I still get a little stressed doing her hair!

Agree with raenndrops. Bows are for Cheer. Mine wears a scrunchie. The gym doesn't require any hairstyle as long as it is off the face and doesn't touch the floor or bars while doing routines.

My dd uses the scrunchie that comes with her team leotard. I'm not sure if it's required but I think everyone does. We are just told that hair needs to be neat and secured out of their face. I watched some you tube videos and finally learned how to french braid a little so I do a small french braid on one side going into a pony tail. I still get a little stressed doing her hair!
Would love to know which video that is, so i could keep practicing....

For everyone saying a scrunchie comes with the team leo: it doesn't always. It doesn't come with our rec leos (and the older rec kids do competitions). I bought an orange one from the Halloween part of a shop. For team leos, it is about if you buy it. Leo is €100, scrunchie is €4. Some people choose not to buy the scrunchie...

No requirements. My DD tends to wear the matching scrunchie, though.

Occasionally a teammate will make matching pony tail holders with ribbons, etc that the girls will wear for a bit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back