WAG Bow, scrunchie, or both?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh man, listening to you all our gym is kind of over the top! We are required to wear two scrunchies that match the leotard and a huge ornate bow the coaches made! Aaand, the hair has to be in a VERY secure bun with no wispies. It takes me over half hour to do my dd's hair and then she's in pain for a bit after putting all the pins, plus the two scrunchies and a bow. I should upload a pic..

Oh man, listening to you all our gym is kind of over the top! We are required to wear two scrunchies that match the leotard and a huge ornate bow the coaches made! Aaand, the hair has to be in a VERY secure bun with no wispies. It takes me over half hour to do my dd's hair and then she's in pain for a bit after putting all the pins, plus the two scrunchies and a bow. I should upload a pic..
It seems funny because my 'simple' hairstyle can take me well over an hour. I'd love to see your DDs hairstyle though!

It seems funny because my 'simple' hairstyle can take me well over an hour. I'd love to see your DDs hairstyle though!

What is your simple hairstyle? I think I am slow! So, she showers so it is wet. I put in a high pony, two ties, then over a donut, another tie, then separate into 5-7 sections and braid each, then wrap each around and lots of bobby pins!

Attachments

• IMG_3406.jpg
    IMG_3406.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 102
How do you all keep the scrunchie from flying off during competition? Tinker Bell prefers to wear the scrunchie that came with her competition leo, but it doesn't like to stay on.

My kiddos gym has no hair requirements except to have neat hair, no flyaways, and out of their face. Some girls, including mine, like to wear hair ribbons like the photo.
It’s just ribbon tied around a hair elastic and takes maybe 10 mins to make.

Attachments

• 1B0A8406-B943-4CE6-82FA-8F89A0F91FE7.jpeg
    1B0A8406-B943-4CE6-82FA-8F89A0F91FE7.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 99
How do you all keep the scrunchie from flying off during competition? Tinker Bell prefers to wear the scrunchie that came with her competition leo, but it doesn't like to stay on.
Ours are pretty tight, but by the time it's over the donut (kind of a big one) and has all the braids wrapped around I can barely stretch them around it one time!

My kiddos gym has no hair requirements except to have neat hair, no flyaways, and out of their face. Some girls, including mine, like to wear hair ribbons like the photo.
It’s just ribbon tied around a hair elastic and takes maybe 10 mins to make.

Cute! is the hair in a low bun?

What is your simple hairstyle? I think I am slow! So, she showers so it is wet. I put in a high pony, two ties, then over a donut, another tie, then separate into 5-7 sections and braid each, then wrap each around and lots of bobby pins!
My simple hairstyle is a braid into a high ponytail. I can finish in 10 minutes, but my hair does not cooperate, so I end up redoing it a lot of times. I do it myself tho, it would go faster if my mom actually could braid...

Wrap it around maybe a billion times?

I’ve never seen big bows like that at a gymnastics meet! I’d be so worried I wouldn’t get it in right and it would fly off!

Would love to know which video that is, so i could keep practicing....
This is the video that I found most helpful. I was able to follow her instructions pretty well:

My daughter is 11 so she is hardly a toddler but her hair is pretty fine and she doesn't have a whole lot of it. I do it from just one side- the side of her hair that has more hair because of her part. I don't do a whole lot of it and it really ends up only being about 4 or 5 strands from each side that are technically french braided before it turns into just a regular 3 strand braid that I do until it can go back into her pony tail- which is pretty high. I don't know if that makes any sense. I think it does make it easier that I am not working with a lot of hair.

Hope that helps a little!

I’ve never seen big bows like that at a gymnastics meet! I’d be so worried I wouldn’t get it in right and it would fly off!

The bow goes on first. It's attached to a hair tie (handmade by our coaches). I'm always afraid I'm going to snap it! Then I put the two scrunchies over the top of it.

I agree, that is a bit over the top.

After making th bun, she puts the scrunchie on. She has to wrap it two or three times to get it secure.

I agree, that is a bit over the top.

It is, but I'm sort of getting used to it now. I think our coaches just want them to look very uniform and tidy/professional. I don't think most of the girls have to do all the braids like I do, my dd just has super long hair

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back