WAG Camp/Clinic suggestions for Level 10 gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justanothergymmom

Proud Parent
Hi!

I would love to hear everyone's suggestions for the best camps for L10 gymnasts. I know of Flipfest and the Woodwards and IGC. I have also heard about Karolyi's and different college programs that offer sessions. Also, I know that different regions offer clinics, as do many private gyms. (I would prefer not to do a college camp since she is young, unless there is good supervision and adult coaches present at ALL times.)

We are pretty willing to travel (within reason) within the US, so location is not too important. What is important for her is a focus on technique and form--on bars in particular, and not a focus on learning to chuck the next big skill. We would like to find a camp/clinic with very experienced coaches that have experience with JO and elite, and would allow her to train on FIG.

Yes, I know this is a VERY tall order, lol, but if anyone can point us in the right direction we would be very appreciative!

Thanks!
JAGM

In my experience the college camps are MORE supervised than other camps. I think if she's a level 10 a college camp would be a great choice especially if there is a particular program she might be interested in attending some day.

Thanks for your reply, wallflower. I guess one of my concerns is that if she went to a college camp she would be roaming the campus unsupervised going to and from the gym. Also, do they stay in the dorms and is there an adult that they would check in with, or that supervises the girls while they are there but not in the gym? Are there any schools in particular that you might recommend? (no clue where she would be interested in going since she is in middle school and doesn't really think about college that much ;) ...)

The college camps I know of house all the girls in the dorms and have chaperones in a nearby room in case the girls have any problems or if things are getting too loud and crazy. The kids then travel as a group to practices and meals, so typically aren't wandering around alone. The schedule is usually pretty set, so even if they do go on an "outing" (to the university pool, bookstore, etc.) it's well supervised. Though there could be exceptions. I would say to look into colleges not too far from where you are located, it will really help cut down on costs. If there is a team that your DD really likes to watch that could be a good place to start, sometimes some of the college gymnasts stay to help out at the camps (though I wouldn't make any promises that Olympian X who competes for that school will be there when she is, you never know what might come up). Or you could just pick a place where you would like to vacation while DD is at a camp and see if any of the gym programs in that area offer camps ;).

My daughter has been to two college camps and Lake Owen (similar to Woodward--it's closed now though :-( ) and supervision at the college camps was better--the girls were never wandering around campus on their own at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back