WAG HOPES skills for 10-11 year olds?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ReluctantGymMom

Proud Parent
Hey all,

I can’t find the answer to this so I’m hoping you fine folks can help me - for the 10-11 age group, what are the skills required for the routines? I seriously can’t find anything besides the required scores, but not anything else!

Skills required? Your daughter can do whatever she can do to get the score to qualify.
Yeah I know this is an overall stupid sounding question but my kids coach turned around to her and 2 other girls yesterday and went “alright guys you’re gonna be starting hopes on Saturdays” and I’m like… hold up. What is happening? I don’t know what’s involved, like what kinds of skills are involved?

Yeah I know this is an overall stupid sounding question but my kids coach turned around to her and 2 other girls yesterday and went “alright guys you’re gonna be starting hopes on Saturdays” and I’m like… hold up. What is happening? I don’t know what’s involved, like what kinds of skills are involved?
Easiest way is to You Tube Hopes/Elite gymnastics to see everything the girls do. My daughter competed 11/12 Hopes this year, and it’s basically upgraded level 9 to normal 10 skills. 13/14 is where things get crazy.

But there isn’t a required skill sheet. You can do anything from cartwheels (you won’t qualify with it) to the things the Olympians do.

But there isn’t a required skill sheet. You can do anything from cartwheels (you won’t qualify with it) to the things the Olympians do.
I’m seeing there’s a compulsory score and optional score, you first get the compulsory score right? Are those more along the lines of fulfilling skill requirements (because the YouTube videos I’m seeing… the beam routines and floor routines don’t look like routines, they’re just skills in a row)? And then for the optional score it’s level 9ish routines for the 10 year olds?

my kid is 9 but past the age for tops since they already did testing along with her teammate who is born in the same month at the end of the year.

I have some concerns here but wanted to make sure I understood what the heck was happening first :/

BTW to anyone whose a site admin - I don’t know what’s happening with the site ads but all the pop out ads are making the site near impossible to use and actually type on

I’m seeing there’s a compulsory score and optional score, you first get the compulsory score right? Are those more along the lines of fulfilling skill requirements (because the YouTube videos I’m seeing… the beam routines and floor routines don’t look like routines, they’re just skills in a row)? And then for the optional score it’s level 9ish routines for the 10 year olds?

my kid is 9 but past the age for tops since they already did testing along with her teammate who is born in the same month at the end of the year.

I have some concerns here but wanted to make sure I understood what the heck was happening first :/

BTW to anyone whose a site admin - I don’t know what’s happening with the site ads but all the pop out ads are making the site near impossible to use and actually type on
As far as Compulsory yes you’re right it does have some type of required skill like kicks on beam and all the circles on beam type stuff, my daughter hasn’t done it it so long I forgot. It doesn’t matter which order you go in, you can do optional first. Also in the 11/12 age group I think it was like 12 girls and two of them were level 9s Even if your daughter is 9 she will be going up against the 12 year olds. It’s not like JO, if you’re in that age bracket you go up against everyone at a qualifier/classics/championships.

Thanks so much for all the info!

It’s a no from me lol she moving faster than my brain can handle but not a chance would this be a good idea. They’re gonna push her up so fast they end up pushing her right out of the sport

Thanks so much for all the info!

It’s a no from me lol she moving faster than my brain can handle but not a chance would this be a good idea. They’re gonna push her up so fast they end up pushing her right out of the sport
It can go both ways. They can stop pushing her and she will get bored then quit. I say have your daughter watch all the videos and see if the elite route is what she wants. If so let her do it

Has the coach spoken to you directly about it? I would think this is something you would want more info about directly from your gym to determine what exactly it entails - what they mean by "starting Hopes on Saturdays".

Both compulsory and optional routines have required elements, but the compulsory routines are orchestrated like JO compulsory routines.

The 2018 version for compulsories is here and it's very close to the requirements today: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/ElitePre-Elite/18elitecompulsory.pdf The hardest part IMO is the blind front giant combination on high bar and completing the pirouettes for that series on top of the bar.

Hopes optionals do the same required elements as elites, but with "Hopes Modifications." You can find them here, but I think the meeting minutes just changed something. I'll go look. https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/TOPs/20hopesmodifications.pdf

When you omit one of the required elements, you lose .5 in your Start Value which makes it very challenging to qualify (along with falling). As applied to the younger Hopes athletes, they might struggle with a double tuck on fx, a front or side aerial on beam, a reverse grip skill on bars, and competing two bar changes.

I looked at the minutes. They added a rule for 2022 that repeat Hopes gymnasts need to re-qualify compulsories every year. They are going to offer an elite compulsory qualifier at November developmental camp to help cut down costs.

Clarification regarding Hopes Elite Compulsory qualification: Hopes athletes must achieve the compulsory score every year.
If a Hopes gymnast qualifies to Hopes Championships and achieves the following:
1. Scores the Hopes Championships qualification score at Hopes Championships, 2. Passes Elite Compulsory with the international score, plus one point.

She may use that compulsory score for the following Elite Season if she attempts to qualify as an International Elite. If the gymnast repeats Hopes or does not compete in the following Elite Season, she must achieve the required compulsory qualification score again.

@Ty’s Dad is 100% correct about the competition at this level. Most of the 13/14s I saw last year looked very ready for elite, if not national team. Some of them will be pulled up to national team camp or even Jr Pan Ams depending on their age.

Hopes is a great stepping stone for elite if your daughter has any aspirations of it. The 11-12 category is very similar to level 9-10 so if your daughter is up to there she should have most of the required skills.

Former elite gymnast here. Having an aspiring/elite gymnast in the family affects EVERYONE in the household. Before proceeding down this road, talk to the coach about time and financial commitments. Some gyms have split sessions (like mine-one before school and one after school) and back pre-TOPS era, it was between $15,000-$20,000 (at my gym) per year.

Often times, siblings get the brunt of it. “Mom can I go on the school trip to Wherever for two weeks?” “I don’t k ow if we can afford it because we have to pay tuition for DD’s gymnastics.” Or “Can Ihave a slumber party this Friday?” “No because DD will be tired and needs to get her sleep.” Or, “Can you pick me up from XYZ?” “No because I’ll be at the gym waiting for DD to get out.”

If there were other siblings at home (my older sister is 7years older than me) I would not have been able to go that route because my gym was 45 minutes away from home.

Former elite gymnast here. Having an aspiring/elite gymnast in the family affects EVERYONE in the household. Before proceeding down this road, talk to the coach about time and financial commitments. Some gyms have split sessions (like mine-one before school and one after school) and back pre-TOPS era, it was between $15,000-$20,000 (at my gym) per year.

Often times, siblings get the brunt of it. “Mom can I go on the school trip to Wherever for two weeks?” “I don’t k ow if we can afford it because we have to pay tuition for DD’s gymnastics.” Or “Can Ihave a slumber party this Friday?” “No because DD will be tired and needs to get her sleep.” Or, “Can you pick me up from XYZ?” “No because I’ll be at the gym waiting for DD to get out.”

If there were other siblings at home (my older sister is 7years older than me) I would not have been able to go that route because my gym was 45 minutes away from home.
Yeah that’s 100% true. We try and turn everything into a family trip depending on which state we will be in that week. But it is a CRAZY commitment on the entire family time and money wise. Flights, (household of 5) hotels, rental cars, tuition, privates, assessments, Leo’s, and gas we hit 43K a year

A very good point! Having a large party of the families time, money and aspirations wrapped up in one particular child can create a very unhealthy emotional situation for the siblings which can continue to effect them for the rest of their lives.

It would be interesting to see statistics as to how many current elites are only children or have large sibling gaps versus siblings close in age.

Families also often move the entire family for training for a child with elite/ professional aspirations. Other times one parent, often the mother will move with one child, leaving the other parent and sometimes siblings. Sadly, the same thing happens with children who are seriously ill with families seeking treatment at specialized hospitals. And we have gone way off track and I haven’t helped.
oops sorry!

I don’t know anything about hopes skills.

I definitely second all this! I'm lucky all my girls are happy to do one sport because I would not be able to support another daughter in different sport. Gymnastics is time-consuming and mine are "only" level 10's! If you have the time and money to support your daughter and she has elite aspirations I would definitely recommend training and competing a year of Hopes first.
FYI both of my level 10 daughters qualified Hopes at one stage. I allowed them to train for Hopes but not do extra hours (they do 20 a week) and I don't think they fell behind those doing 30.
Don't know the exact compulsory skills as I think they changed between my DDs and may have changed since.

She’s lucky she’s an only child so we never have an issue with dividing time, I can’t imagine how my friends with multiple children do it because I had several months where it felt like all I did was drive her to various doctors, PT and gym.

There’s a small group of them who have been fast tracked and she… fast tracked into the fast track group, she’s caught up with everyone there pretty much but in no way would she be ready to compete level 8-9 skills by next year, specifically on beam, safely.

I love the coach because he treats the kids amazingly, we drive an hour out of the way to be here not for scores, but because he treats her like a human being who has off days - unfortunately his communication and organizational skills are… lacking lol, he’s just working on the assumption that everyone in this group is along for whatever ride we’re going on.

Her body did not enjoy all the fast tracking she recently did and decided to fall apart, so I’d rather she work her PT and proper technique for things.

She has elite aspirations, which is great and all, but I aspire to keep her in one piece first - if she does really well over the next year and at age 10 is somehow at level 8/9, maybe

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back