WAG Jeff Thompson out at Penn State

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Reflex Gymnastics Academy in Pearland, Texas. Not sure if he is still coaching or not. The website continues to say Staff Bios coming soon. He was coaching at Texas Prime in January, but do not know if he has been at any other meets this season.

Thank you for naming the gym. I can’t see how there could possibly be any legal repercussions for simply stating that he was coaching again and naming the gym. If a coach has been fired and there are articles on google about abuse accusations, parents need to be made aware of those issues, especially those new to the sport.

One problem with abuse in sports is the fear associated with reporting. Look at this board, several were afraid to post where it was he was coaching. He choose to get back into coaching, and was at a competition for all to see. We, the gymnastics community, should not be in fear. Athletes, coaches, and parents should not be afraid to report, but many are for fear that no one will believe them or listen, fear of retaliation, fear of losing spot on team or job. This is why we are where we are in this sport. Not only with The Thompson’s, but same with LARRY. Just how many people reported wrongful behaviors and no one listened, or were told there is nothing we can do. Many times the abusive coaches were believed over the athletes. Just how many people does it take before they are believed? Even though some may report their experiences were great does not mean it was that way for everyone. I do believe we are seeing positive changes in our sport.

I totally agree with sallysue...I had heard that the Thompsons were at Reflex but I had not seen them nor had personal knowledge so I didn't put it out here. Had they been in a gym in my area and seen them , I would have named the gym. If I were at Reflex, I think I would be looking elsewhere...the Thompson duo has already had their second chance (Penn St, as Auburn was their first) with treating gymnasts right and they blew it...they would not be getting a third chance with my kid. There are way too many gyms in Texas to risk staying with them.

What Bookworm said....I heard they were at Reflex as well, but hadn’t seen them in person so I didn’t want to say without being absolutely certain. I absolutely would not have hesitated if they were in my area and I knew for a fact!

One problem with abuse in sports is the fear associated with reporting. Look at this board, several were afraid to post where it was he was coaching. He choose to get back into coaching, and was at a competition for all to see. We, the gymnastics community, should not be in fear. Athletes, coaches, and parents should not be afraid to report, but many are for fear that no one will believe them or listen, fear of retaliation, fear of losing spot on team or job. This is why we are where we are in this sport. Not only with The Thompson’s, but same with LARRY. Just how many people reported wrongful behaviors and no one listened, or were told there is nothing we can do. Many times the abusive coaches were believed over the athletes. Just how many people does it take before they are believed? Even though some may report their experiences were great does not mean it was that way for everyone. I do believe we are seeing positive changes in our sport.

Just last week we had a relatively small (but important to me and my daughter) issue with a coach's behavior that I thought crossed the line into verbal abuse. I raised it to the owner, and two days later, my daughter is no longer a gymnast at that gym. The owner told me point blank that her number one priority is protecting her coaches and now she cannot trust my daughter (since my daughter told me the comments that I found troubling). While the gym did not tell us to leave, there is no way I could allow my daughter to stay with a program with such a philosophy.

I will say that while my daughter fully understands why she is no longer on that team, she is heartbroken and devastated to lose her teammates, best friends and entire support network, as if she did something wrong. She feels like she is being punished for telling us what happened at practice. She has even said that if she just let the coach say those things to her and had not let it bother her, she would still have her friends and team. She has spent 10+ hours per week with these people for many years, and it was all ripped away from her because she told her mother some of the things the coach has been saying to her (that she didn't deserve to compete when she tried but missed a skill, that the coach would be embarrassed to have her compete since she would probably have the lowest scores on the team, that she lets her team down when she isn't good enough, that her hard work only counts if she is successful). The context here is dd has been working back from an injury that kept her out of full training for several months and trying to get back to some semblance of competition ready by state.

Losing your team is devastating. Dd's now former teammates have even commented that the solution is don't tell your parents what happens and you won't have your team taken away from you.

Just last week we had a relatively small (but important to me and my daughter) issue with a coach's behavior that I thought crossed the line into verbal abuse. I raised it to the owner, and two days later, my daughter is no longer a gymnast at that gym. The owner told me point blank that her number one priority is protecting her coaches and now she cannot trust my daughter (since my daughter told me the comments that I found troubling). While the gym did not tell us to leave, there is no way I could allow my daughter to stay with a program with such a philosophy.

I will say that while my daughter fully understands why she is no longer on that team, she is heartbroken and devastated to lose her teammates, best friends and entire support network, as if she did something wrong. She feels like she is being punished for telling us what happened at practice. She has even said that if she just let the coach say those things to her and had not let it bother her, she would still have her friends and team. She has spent 10+ hours per week with these people for many years, and it was all ripped away from her because she told her mother some of the things the coach has been saying to her (that she didn't deserve to compete when she tried but missed a skill, that the coach would be embarrassed to have her compete since she would probably have the lowest scores on the team, that she lets her team down when she isn't good enough, that her hard work only counts if she is successful). The context here is dd has been working back from an injury that kept her out of full training for several months and trying to get back to some semblance of competition ready by state.

Losing your team is devastating. Dd's now former teammates have even commented that the solution is don't tell your parents what happens and you won't have your team taken away from you.

This is terrible.

If parents are to stand together and change the abusive and secretive culture, the next step is to out this gym and coach.

Write a letter to USAG and name names.

Post the gym experience on every forum you can.

Help other parents make informed choices and not let this gym be rewarded for its tolerance of verbal abuse and failure to prioritize the well-being of athletes.

I will keep saying it: #timesup. It has to come from us, the parents. Every other mechanism has failed our athletes because the culture is too far broken.

ETA: good for you for pulling your daughter out. That is a courageous and commendable action. I can imagine how difficult that was knowing the consequences of losing friends and teammates.

Good for you for standing up for your daughter.

I agree you should write to USAG and name names.

I would also write the USAG and I would ask the other team moms to meet with me for coffee and discuss what has taken place. They deserve to know what happens at gym and possibly as a group you can make a change even if only at that gym.

I would also write the USAG and I would ask the other team moms to meet with me for coffee and discuss what has taken place. They deserve to know what happens at gym and possibly as a group you can make a change even if only at that gym.
My husband said the same thing. He said we should invite the team over for a BBQ and while the kids are socializing, we should tell the parents what happened, so that everyone knows and can make their own decisions. I have been completely frank with anyone who has asked, and also told everyone if parents ask them why we left, give them my number and have them call me and I will tell them.

Since leaving, we heard from a former team member's mom that she pulled her daughter because of some really unacceptable comments made to her about her child as well. But she didn't tell anyone -- she just pulled her child.

And for the record, our former gym is Empire Gymnastics in Bedford, Texas. (Dallas area)

@Texasmomof3 I salute you for putting the name out there.

The comments that coach made were hurtful and heartbreaking. How about some encouragement for an athlete working hard to come back from injury. The idea that belittling can somehow be motivating escapes me.

I hate that the team members think the solution is not to tell their parents. I agree with your husband, host the BBQ, (in Texas any reason is a good one for a BBQ), celebrate your DD and her team, and tell the parents.

The owner told me point blank that her number one priority is protecting her coaches and now she cannot trust my daughter (since my daughter told me the comments that I found troubling). While the gym did not tell us to leave, there is no way I could allow my daughter to stay with a program with such a philosophy.

This is the precise reason why our sport is in the trouble that it is in! GOOD FOR YOU for standing your ground and believing in your daughter. As badly as she must feel about losing her friends, team, she needs to understand that she did the right thing in telling what the coach said and verbal abuse is just as bad as physical abuse.

This is so sad. I wonder if this is something to report to safesport

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back