WAG Jeff Thompson out at Penn State

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow!
OK. Is it just me, or is anyone else out there wondering if new horrible allegations will be coming down the pipe, and the University has fired him ahead of it all....
I did a uh oh.

Glad to hear this! :) With the grueling competition schedule of NCAA Division I gymnastics, there is no room for abusive coaches! These athletes need coaches that are relatable and fun people, but also know how to push them to be their best.

Gymnastics is hard enough without toxic environments and coaches!

Wow!
OK. Is it just me, or is anyone else out there wondering if new horrible allegations will be coming down the pipe, and the University has fired him ahead of it all....

Literally the first thing that crossed my mind when I heard about it.

For those that are newer to Chalkbucket.com, the following link has links to other stories of the Thompsons at PSU

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/penn_state_fires_womens_gymnas.html
I was just thinking about this and how all the testimony during Nassar's sentencing makes a person question why PSU didn't take this stuff seriously. If it wasn't clear before it should be very clear now that the coaching culture at all levels of gymnastics has seen its share of really poor form. PSU kept going back to their fallback excuse time and time again ... "we found that many athletes are supportive of the coaches". Remember folks, we are learning every day about another person who supported Nassar. These wolves in sheep's clothing are so cunning. People who need to investigate this stuff need to dig way beyond the people close to the people being accused. They know they need people in their corner and they are very good at establishing those modes of survival. The biggest travisty is that they had a university employee, the assistant coach, who was a club gym owner/coach, an all-american Georgia gymnast, and intelligent individual support the claims unknowingly when she lodged her own complaints ... AND PSU DIDN'T LISTEN. Let me tell you PSU dodged a bullet because many of the athletes were pushed to the point of self-destruction. They need to realize that had something irreversible happened to any one of those athletes, the university would have not been able to escape unscathed. Til this day, I would like Sandy Barbour to be held accountable for ignoring all the signs and reports of abuse. This old article is quite timely and I encourage all to read and keep on mind that there is talk that the coaches in this case are now coaching in the JO program. Is this something SafeSport should address? Read the articles from the original post then read this... makes me ill. https://wendybrucemartin.com/2017/03/20/the-cult-culture-of-gymnastics/

Last edited by a moderator:
Til this day, I would like Sandy Barbour to be held accountable for ignoring all the signs and reports of abuse. . /

hold Sandy Barbour accountable for Nasser ? This makes no sense. clickbait.

How about holding Michigan State accountable for Nasser?

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question. (New parent just trying to figure this all out.) So, if a coach is fired from an NCAA school (or other very well known gym/institution) for abusive tactics, are they put on the USAG “banned” list or at least investigated?

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question. (New parent just trying to figure this all out.) So, if a coach is fired from an NCAA school (or other very well known gym/institution) for abusive tactics, are they put on the USAG “banned” list or at least investigated?

Clearly not since the aforementioned coaches were coaching at a meet last weekend!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back