WAG my first entry and I need help! special relationship with coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

daisy

Hello guys!

I would appreciate any kind of opinion! :)

I was a gymnast from age 6 to 13, I was a L6 (old) by the time I quit. I was a very shy kid and always homesick. I tried many sports, but I liked none of them until I walked into this special gym. There was a quite old experienced coach, he was also the gym owner, but he was so nice I stayed there without any problem. Throughout the years, this coach supported me and was one of the nicest people I have ever met. As my father died when I was very young, he became sort of a father for me. I was never too competetive or something, but I did well and loved the sport. I had to quit at 13 because of we moved to the next town and school work got tough. My coach was sooo sad and so was I, because we had a very special relationship!
Anyways, I haven't seen him in 3 years, but he writes me E-Mails every now and then. Yesterday I got very bad news...my coach got diagnosed with blood cancer. They doctors say it's not too bad yet, but since he is already 68, nobody knows what will happen. I was so desperate when I heard of this. I feel so helpless, but I want to make him happy!

So here is my wish:
I remember a situation, it was during the yearly show at our gym which is on the 1st Friday in April every year, when there was a girl, she was a Level7 gymnast (this was and still is the highest Level at my old gym, because it is very small) doing a solo tumbling show. I can remember it like it was yesterday.
She tumbled on an air track doing to following skills in a very nice routine:

roundoff back handspring back tuck
back handspring back handspring stepout
front handspring front tuck
round off back handspring full
back handspring stepout layout
running front whip
and then pike press, forward roll, straddle press to handstand, handstand piroutte

I was so amazed by this performance and my coach said: you will get there, I promise!
I was 11 and Level 4 that time.

Some months ago I started tumbling at college 3 times a week and I nearly have all my skills back from the past.
I can do the following on the air track: front handspring, running front tuck, round off, back handspring, almost standing back tuck and working on round off back tuck, straddle press from standing.

So I would like to surprise my coach with the exact same routine like the girl's from my memories next year in April at my old gym! It is always dark so he wouldn't notice that it's me until the end. I know he would be so happy!!!
I am not doing any other events in training, it is just a tumbling class which I go to 3 times a week for 2 hours. I also have a trampoline at home and will train every day. Additionally, I will work in my core strength for the handstand presses 3 times a week.

I don't know if this is a stupid idea. But I just have the strong desire to try it for my coach!

So what is your opinion: will this be posible in one year? I know it's a lot, but as it's on the tuble track it might work! What do you think?

Thanks to everyone who will give me their opinion!

That's very sweet. Certainly possible if you work hard. And please let your old coach know you are thinking of him--it's sadly possible that he won't be around in a year, if things don't go well :-(

That's very sweet. Certainly possible if you work hard. And please let your old coach know you are thinking of him--it's sadly possible that he won't be around in a year, if things don't go well :-(

thanks for your words! :) I just needed someone elses opinion and wanted to "talk" to someone...yes I am planning to visit him asap anyways!

Your post made my cry. So sorry about your coach. I don't know much about gymnastics, but I think it's a wonderful idea, and I hope you can pull this off. Good luck!

Nothing, in my opinion, is a "stupid" idea if it meant to bring joy to someone. Keep in my mind however the coach's ability to be in the gym a year from now to watch it. Maybe you can video tape it and show it on a laptop. Cutting and pasting (editing) may even show the routine in its best possible form. I wish you and your coach the very best and will include him in my prayers.

Doing anything to acknowledge the significant role he played in your life is gonna be a big help. Your idea of reprising the tumbling show is great because he'll know where you were when you left and realize the skills are new to you. More important still is he'll really feel connected to you and many of the other gymnasts he's blessed with his patience, wisdom, experience and heart felt guidance.

Go for it!

Yes, very sweet idea. But please visit him, talk with him, write him a letter.... Don't wait, you never know how long he will be around or able to participate in normal activity.

Good luck :)

I agree. It's not stupid, rather very sweet. You should do it. I hope your coach is doing well :)

That is so sweet. I don't know anything about the gymnastics part but, I'm sure he will love to hear from you.

This is so thoughtful, I can just imagine it all. Please do it and let us know how it goes. Good luck and I hope your coach is doing well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back